Jack Juratovic RIP

Steve Moskowitz

World renown artist Jack Juratovic passed away last night after a brief illness.  Jack was an amazing artist, a better person and defined the term "car guy".  Raced in the Great Race this summer and was working on several new pieces.  Jack was a fraternity brother of mine and lived in Big Rapids, Michigan where I went to school.  Gosh I wish I had known him then!  I would have been at his house every weekend!  He had some crazy personal items from Peter Helck as well as a great collection of art.  I will miss him terribly. 

Jack J.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/17/2018 at 11:35 AM, John348 said:

Very sorry to hear that, Jack Juratovic and Jack Purcell were the designers of the Chevrolet Monza Mirage, as well as many other cars

image.thumb.png.fbfcdeed110b7417a0051338dda14d27.png

Jack called me after we featured your car in the magazine. I asked him to write a letter about his memories of doing that, but he never got around to it.

Jack had a great sense of humor. He and I went on a 700+ mile drive several years ago in his 1939 Mercury convertible, taking the Dixie highway from Dayton to Hilton Head and staying off the freeway almost the entire way. I showed him Portsmouth, Ohio's famous levy murals and he was extremely happy to see them and was greatly impressed by the artistry. I snapped this picture that day.

DSC00252.jpg

3 hours ago, West Peterson said:

Jack had a great sense of humor. He and I went on a 700+ mile drive several years ago in his 1939 Mercury convertible, taking the Dixie highway from Dayton to Hilton Head and staying off the freeway almost the entire way. I showed him Portsmouth, Ohio's famous levy murals and he was extremely happy to see them and was greatly impressed by the artistry. I snapped this picture that day.

DSC00252.jpg

There is a great thread on the H body forums that has some great photos of Jack's design shop and the prototypes he and Purcell presented to GM for approval. It is a long read but very, very interesting!  They were invited to participate and did so through one of the forum members who knew them.

http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35294

Thank you John and thank you West for your comments, adds to the story of a very talented man. May he rest in peace. His artwork gave a lot of people a lot of pleasure.

People with "art in the blood" see things differently then most others, this is not mocking or putting down anyone, it is just their perception is naturally fine tuned to notice things. This goes for people who are musicians, writers, as well as artists. I taught art for 40+ years and research and write a bit too and am constantly asked " how did you see that?" ; I can't explain it , it is just there and jumps out at you. I usually try to explain how I saw or perceived something and then the person I explain it to usually gives me an "oh yeah I see that now". It is what it is.

Walt G.

• Like 1