65 rivi dual quad owners

arnulfo de l.a.

Always pinged when on ported vacuum. Switched to manifold and pinging stopped but idled rough. What teleriv states makes sense about too much advance on  manifold vacuum. Also i think they came with ported vacuum from factory. Im thinking todays gas is a big reason for the detonation even though i always use highest octane here in l a which is 92

My factory Gran Sport does not ping at all under any driving conditions if I use 94 octane unleaded fuel.  In my area this octane is only sold at Chevron stations.  All others brands max out at 91 or 92 octane.

The car pings lightly with 92 octane.  It's noticeable if you lay into it in high gear - detonation is light but noticeable and goes away once the load on the engine is lighter.

I use the factory initial timing setting, with everything else to factory spec.

Arnulfo - I would check your distributor spark advance.  Maybe your vacuum advance can is malfunctioning.  You can test a lot of this yourself using a Mightyvac test kit (about $60 in most auto parts stores).  Go to mightyvac.com for more info:

image.png.69ed685130eff4a362b595bda9af95a2.png

Theres no doubt cutting back on the advance via checking total timing, etc will help with the detonation but it doesnt make much sense to me that ported or manifold vacuum as a source would make much of a difference in an "off idle" position? The vacuum levels should be approximately the same if the throttle plates are open. Are you adjusting/changing base timing when you change the vacuum source ? This would alter total timing...

Tom

Tom,

Think about it. When you have ported vacuum the advance STARTS when you start to open the throttle blades. On manifold vacuum as soon as you touch the throttle you lose vacuum until you get to cruising speed & let up on the throttle. I still say one or both rubber limiters are missing.  I have them in stock. Have solved a few problems for others on the site.

Tom T.

6 hours ago, telriv said:

Tom,

Think about it. When you have ported vacuum the advance STARTS when you start to open the throttle blades. On manifold vacuum as soon as you touch the throttle you lose vacuum until you get to cruising speed & let up on the throttle. I still say one or both rubber limiters are missing.  I have them in stock. Have solved a few problems for others on the site.

Tom T.

Yes Tom, I understand the vacuum dynamic at each location and the transition. But when the throttle blades are cracked and manifold vacuum is exposed to the ported nipple the vacuum levels should equalize instantaneously....correct?

I agree total timing is not what it should be.

Tom