Painting wood on pre WW1 car

Mike Macartney

Hi,

Has anybody any suggestions with what to do with the preparation of the wood on the outside of the trunk area of my 1914 Humberette? I have had lots of experience with painting metal and glass fibre but none with wood. Below is a photo of the left had side of the trunk area where the paint had cracked. I have the same problem with the paintwork on my 1903 Crestmobile, which I believe had been restored in the 60's or 70's.023.thumb.jpg.ed41cd30908b920d639dbea6e49270ff.jpg

Photo of the cracked paint on the outside of the trunk area of my 1914 Humberette

Restoration progress of the Humberette can be viewed at:

Get it down to bare wood, and then treat the wood with either West System or Smith's. 

These are epoxy, two part, sealant systems, that are mainly used for the marine trade.  They will soak into the wood and both seal and strengthen.  Then, you won' t get the cracking and other problems inherent in painting non-treated wood.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search.do?refineType=1&sub_attr_name=Brand&refineValue=WEST+System&page=GRID&engine=msn&keyword=west_system_epoxy  

I responded in your other thread.  I agree with David, get down to bare wood and treat with West System two-part epoxy.  I would also follow with the SPI Epoxy Primer though you might call SPI and ask about applying over West System and/or bare wood.  I imagine either (or both) will work but the only recent experience I have is with SPI Epoxy Primer.   Way back when we would apply a wood sealer, two coats of polyurethane, rough with 220 and then paint as normal.   I find the SPI primer easier to use and apply it after a typical wood sealer. 

West System is used in boat construction and repair.  It was recommended to me when I redid my Model T Ford wheels.  It's easily sanded and produces an outstanding finish that can be primed with automotive paints and then finish coated.  It's very durable, fills grain nicely and provides a really smooth base.  Best of all, it's durable!  Pics show West System after application during the wet sanding process, primed over West System, and a finished wheel.

Terry

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

Painted T wheel 1.JPG

• Thanks 1

Many years ago I painted a 1905 Cadillac with excellent results. We used a two-part epoxy primer (which was a brand new product at the time) so I am guessing the West Systems primer/sealer that is recommended here is about as good as it gets, especially as it's intended use is in boats which are going to be exposed to a lot more moisture than cars are. I later repeated the process on a 1910 REO and got the same result.