1911 - 1927 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place

alsfarms

On 10/11/2023 at 9:27 PM, alsfarms said:

Alright. Curiosity killed the cat, including me! I went to Uncle Google to check statistical comparisons with a similar vintage Locomobile, in this case a Model L four cylinder Locomobile. The Model L (30) has a square engine at 4..5 x 4.5 bore and stroke. The Locomobile is a 283 CID. Google said that the Peerless Model 27 is a 4 x 4.6 bore and stroke and suggested that the resulting displacement would be 410 CID. This is where I raised my hand and called "bull". Double check my CID calculation and verify my calculated CID of 231 for the Peerless Model 27. I calculate CID with this formula: PI x R square x 4.6 x 4= CID

I am interested to hear how you confirm my calculation or call bull on me for my calculation. The two Google sources I looked at are Concept Cars and Heritage Museum.

That Peerless is a beautiful automobile for sure.

Al

Precisely! Or of universal application: 3.14 x Radius squared x stroke x # of cylinders= CID 

Edited by ak (see edit history)

On 12/18/2023 at 6:03 PM, alsfarms said:

I have heard but not completed first hand, that sandblast the rough eroded surface of the top of the jug where the Locomobile script water manifolds'/plates mount. Then carefully use JB Weld to dress the eroded area. Best to mount in a milling machine and fly-cut this whole surface area  back to a very flat gasket surface.  As needed use the same procedure to the bottom side of the water manifold/plate. You will end up with two very smooth and flat gasket surfaces that are much more impervious to rust damage while in use.

Al

I had the original covers sandbasted which revealed that all three had broken some time in the past. I filled and sanded and dropped them off at the foundry to have recast in silicon bronze. Will report back.

JR

Edited by ak (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure where to file this but here is as good a spot as any. When I was looking through the Locomobile files at the BHC this past winter I found catalogue proofs with tracings and layouts taped to papers presenting for review (now frozen in time) on how some of the decorative elements on the page would look. The Book of Locomobile in the early years shows some amazing artistry and just like the cars themselves a lot of thought and review went into marketing as well. We can further appreciate the marque by seeing this. I didn't photograph this but should when I return next month. I still have much to look through though. Here, I want to show a contemporary accolade given in late 1916 by an official at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in Manhattan in a printing trade journal on the harmony and unique style presented in Locomobile's catalogue. It is stated to be a twist on the best French and European renaissance design. We've seen the 1916 Book of Locomobile and here in this article a few pages are excerpted to make the point. Now one could consider that some inside influences were colluding in NYC to obtain a desired PR outcome. Some tasks are not "new" I suppose.

loco0.jpg

Loco1.png

loco2.png

loco3.jpg

Loco4.png

loco5.jpg

loco6.jpg

loco7.png

loco8.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is very impressive to learn about the reverence given to Locomobile even to the design mastery for its printed matter. I wonder if there was an internal Locomobile committee that did the design work or was this work subbed out to someone from an independent source? This write up points to the style and design of the 1916 year, but certainly the earlier as well as later exhibited the same printed matter character. Thanks for posting!

Al

• Like 1

Al,

Hi I agree. I like uncovering history, attempting to be a fly on the wall of going's on at the time. I have yet to find specific inter-office memorandum on the advertising effort. I did previously post a few letters to officials at Locomobile regarding when and where ads would be placed. Certainly I'll follow-up on this to see if anymore details come to light - for posterity of course.

- Dan.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, edinmass said:

Try this one on for size boys……..

IMG_2058.png

This should be an optional equipment for a ca. 1912 "48" Locomobile six touring car type M, right? Does anybody have more details of this beautiful trunk? Which part is made of leather, wood, brass, canvas, silk, felt, steel or other materials? What kind of hinges and locks were used? How do the suitcases look on the out- and inside? How is the locking mechanism at the running board designed? Does such a thing exist today? Perhaps even in poor condition, for studying these details? Would be great to learn...

(Please see the other thread for this topic as well: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/396446-touring-equipment-for-your-locomobile-touring-car/#comment-2532443

Edited by Ittenbacher Frank (see edit history)
  • Like 1

What I can add (not much) is that it looks like the whole case locks in the center. The presumably leather flap or tongue pointed up has a small. presumably brass tooth that goes into the hole above the lock as it folds over it. I probably has a snap at it's tip to hold it flush on the lower center panel, the external aspect is pointed down and out of view. This wouldn't be a high security affair so he isn't carrying stashes of bank notes; it is for domestic travel/luggage it would seem. Very neat! The oval label is probably the maker's tag. I might see if I can find any period advertisements of this arrangement.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Al,

Not to get off topic but to complete yours, the first link suggests only 6 Rikers (maybe referring to 1901 models) are extant. Certainly I imagine very few exist. The slightly later (probably gas models) had some nice lines. We might think these were buckboards with wheels but they were drawn and planned.

20240118_143516.jpg

• Like 3

What year would be represented by the automobile shown in the picture you posted. The first link confused me a little as they make reference to items that relate to gasoline when the Riker depicted, in the Link, is an electric.  The links are interesting none the less.

Al

Al,

I'm not sure. The few blueprints I found at BHC appear to be gas models and I suppose in the 1905 range (the blueprint may have a date but not sure I can read it). I wish more was known about them as the drawings seem to be quite attractive. I'm moving next week back up there so need to book another date soon to rifle through the files.

- Dan.

• Like 1

My M7 touring car has one hinged wooden door under the rear seat which gives access to the fuel pipes and rear axle filling plug. There is perhaps enough space for a shallow box or tray, but I see no holes anywhere which could point to such former existence. The necessary clearance to the rear axle when the suspension is at the end of its travel must be considered as well.

Any suggestions?

3 IMG_0744.jpg

Does anyone have a car with an original or correctly reproduced slip case cover? How does it look like? How is it secured when driving? What is inside? How are the seams made? Are there buttons or other important details? I like to collect information before reproducing one for my car.

On 6/14/2024 at 12:04 AM, alsfarms said:

Check with Stewart. He has a mostly original touring.

Al

Thanks for the hint. I called him. Unfortunately his car doesn't have such a cover. Same as many: They just open the hood, without protecting it from dust and sunshine.

I searched a bit more. See these cars. All seem reproductions, more or less differently made. Who can show me details how Locomobile has made these slip case covers? I also noticed differences between Sportifs and touring cars as well as between earlier (1915 and before) and later cars.

6 1914er rot.jpg

1912 bob mc anlis.jpeg

1912 cussler.jpg

1913 38er 2.jpg

1913 38er.jpg

1918 fred.jpg

1919 james bartlett.jpg

1925 hyman 1.jpg

1925 hyman 2.jpg

1925 hyman 3.jpg

1925 hyman 4.jpg

1925 rot.jpg

rear carrier and slip case cover in Locos for 1914 page 5b.jpg

Edited by Ittenbacher Frank (see edit history)

One more hint: my tourer has a row of seven Murphy-style fasteners attached to a narrow layer of fabric, which is located at the rear of the body, just behind the rear seat's back rest, below the rear window glass, still inside the hood. The layer of fabric is fastened together with the rear end of the hood cover material. These fasteners are hard to find and accessible only when the hood is open and you know where to search for them. I assume they are used to attach the slip case cover?

frank IMG_5556 hinter rückenlehne - Kopie.JPG

Hello Frank,

I must admit that I have no experience with the touring car slip case design which is the subject of this chat. However, I favor the design found in the image #7 up from your last image. I wonder if Daniel has run across any related information relating to the top, interior and the slip covers? Lastly, it is my thought that these automobiles are all custom built and likely we're not "standard" in these details referenced. Not much help am I......

Al