Wanted to buy a 1938 Century Buick

Jim Nelson

Want to buy a 1938 Buick Century.  Prefer a 4 door or 2 door fast back.    I do like the fast back version.   Prefer one that does not require a lot of work.  My friend is  + 80 and has chosen to minimize work.   He has done many over the years but now wants to enjoy this Buick as his last great car.   Looking to sell his  1940 -41series.   It has the twin carb set up that was stock in '41'.  The car is stock and in nice shape.   Yellow is the color from  the 1940 Buick factory.     Oldbuickjim@gmail.com

• Like 1

Jim, a member of our A.A.C.A. region is selling his

Century 4-door sedan, which I'm quite sure is a 1938.

(Slight chance it's a 1937.)  I haven't looked at it 

closely, but I think it has an all-original interior

with some wear.  The black exterior is very presentable.

If you are interested in knowing more, PM me for the

member's contact information.  The car is within an

hour of Hershey.

• Like 1

John,    My buddy is interested in the car.   Can you have some pix sent to me along with any details.   My friend lives in Anderson In.    You can send the data to me at    Oldbuickjim@gmail.com.  Or to him at  Buickn@yahoo.com.      Thank you for the reply.

• Like 1

My friend likes the 4 door sedan.  Fast back 4 door is also good.  He has owned may be a dozen  36 - 38 Buicks but likes the Century version.   So, I’m helping him to find one.   He has a bunch of ‘38’ parts, so he figures his last one needs to be a ‘38’.    Then he say’s he still likes the ‘37’.   So, a hunting I will go.     Thanks for the info.

Jim,

I realize that Gene actually prefers the Streamline Sedans over the Trunkback Sedans. In 1938 Buick produced 1,516 of the Model 67 Century Streamline 4 Door Sedans and 12,673 of the Model 61 Century Trunkback Sedans. If he does not find the Model 67 that he wants, and decides to do one more restoration, remind him that Dave Tacheny is picking up a 1938 Model 67 from me in a couple of weeks. It is a running, driving, car but it does neet total restoration.

It runs good. It actually starts quicker than either my 1937 Model 61 or the 1938 Model 61 that I am restoring. He and I discussed it a while back. I hope someone restores it but I don't want to do another one since I really don't need another car.  

Yup,  Ihave the same problem.   I just got one of my favorite models.   I have always liked the design of the  ‘34’ - ‘35’ Vicky.   The only thing is Buicks engines during that time.  The side gear driven generator, distributor, water pump..   And the cooling system with the funny hose (pipe) that takes warm water back to tha wierd water pump system.   Aoso with the oil cooler / heater system.   Whew!   The pnle thing they got right was to start using the 235  engine that became the rock solid 248 / 263 engines for so many years.   I happen to have a 248 left over when I installed my 263.  So, if I want / I can install the 248 engine and it will look almost original.   Its in reasonable shape.  Fuel tank is not good. Many pin holes from rust.   I have a friend here in Fla. who has a 35 - 41.   It has the “new” style (to become the 248) engine).   So I have a car that can help me if something does not look right.   Nice.   At least the club acepts all straight 8 Buicks.   Not I’m not an outsider - -   :-)).    BTW, I’m going to buy some parts from Dave.   Could I have him bring the parts to your place and could I then pick them up there?   I am in need of a ‘38’ tranny and both the intake and exhaust manifolds for my 248 engine.   Thanks.....

6A1BCE90-1F78-4FD9-B56E-29F94EDBC6C8.thumb.jpeg.71563d81dd08968a2c6d661e296d27d9.jpeg

I think it would be easier on the tranny to have him bring it along with the manofolds.  Less chance of damage.   Trucking firms are ok but any damage becomes hard to replace in our would.   So that is why I would like to do it this way.   Trust worthy and safe.....

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well, Gene now has a 1937-66 coupe.   The color is the blue green color from Buick.     The interior and exterior look very nice.    Gene is quite happy with it.  It came from PA  about 4 months ago.    It seems to be in good shape.    He has replaced the generator with an alternator.   Put a Pertronix ignition in place of the old points / condenser .    So far,  it is a good catch.    Now,  how do you cancel this from the forum list  ?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jim Nelson said:

Well, Gene now has a 1937-66 coupe.   The color is the blue green color from Buick.     The interior and exterior look very nice.    Gene is quite happy with it.  It came from PA  about 4 months ago.    It seems to be in good shape.    He has replaced the generator with an alternator.   Put a Pertronix ignition in place of the old points / condenser .    So far,  it is a good catch.    Now,  how do you cancel this from the forum list  ?

No need to cancel Jim, it will just live on here into eternity. :D  Good for you for helping Gene find what he was looking for. Thanks for reporting back. Got pictures of Gene and the car maybe?