1929 steering column accessory what is it?

Hi all was just moving all my spares from one shed to another and noticed this on the bottom of one of the steering columns any ideas appreciated. I thought maybe to do with vacuum wipers or some sort of fuel saving device apart from that I’m out of ideas. Cheers Ben

81754CB7-450A-4308-9122-98947AFACD87.jpeg

That looks like a windshield wiper vacuum control switch. It should be mounted vertically under the dash in a hole on the left lower side of the instrument panel. Some cars (28 particularly) the mount in the center of the instrument panel cluster, lower between the choke and manifold heater knobs. Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All...

Speaking of steering columns.  Could anyone tell me if there are parts available for the early GEMMER steering box?  My 1926 Chrysler steering is "bound up" tight as all heck. I've taken it apart far enough to see that there is a die cast/pot metal bushing where the steering shaft goes into the box, and it looks like the bushing is "growing" and has strangled the steering shaft.  Not allowing it to turn.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Firstly, this doesn't bear much relation to a 1929 Chrysler steering column accessory. You should start your own topic.

Secondly, what so you mean ""steering shaft"? Steering column from the wheel? My Gemmer has a ball bearing in there; it is a thrust bearing as well. The big nut on top of the box is used to set the clearance on that bearing (and the one at the bottom of the box) to prevent axial movement of the shaft and worm inside the box.

If you mean the sector shaft that goes out horizontally to the steering arm (a.k.a. Pitman arm), that should have a bronze bush in it.

What lubrication do you have in the box? it should be a semi-fluid grease (NLGI 00). Chassis grease is wiped off the worm on the first few turns and doesn't flow back, so there is no lubrication. If you are wondering where the grease went, some of it will be up inside the steering column.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

12 hours ago, 53 New Yorker said:

Hello All...

Speaking of steering columns.  Could anyone tell me if there are parts available for the early GEMMER steering box?  My 1926 Chrysler steering is "bound up" tight as all heck. I've taken it apart far enough to see that there is a die cast/pot metal bushing where the steering shaft goes into the box, and it looks like the bushing is "growing" and has strangled the steering shaft.  Not allowing it to turn.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Yes a second topic is required but I would remove the offending part and replace with a proper bushing.