Xander this would make a Dandy Roadster Pickup

auburnseeker

This would make a great Roadster Pickup and you aren't really ruining anything as it's not original from the back of the seat back anyways.  If i had the Money I would go look at it.  Someone else already took the hit to rebuild the engine. 

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/locomobile/unspecified/2123039.html?refer=news#&gid=1&pid=15

What am I missing here?  I can't believe that either of you two would cut up a rare $119,500.00 past (1966) AACA National First Place Prize winner to make a "Dandy Roadster Pickup".  I would think that the linked Locomobile would be too nice of a car to cut up.

Just askin'.

Cheers,

Grog

You aren't cutting anything up.  Remove the wood body,  which is incorrect for it anyway and replace it with a wood or steel and wood bed nicely crafted.  It would look more correct than the Plywood Hack body on it now. No metal would be cut and you could effectively probably bolt the Hack body on at a later date if desired.  The body looks way to simplistic to me.  It would have been made  of alot more complicated smaller pieces of wood. 

But didn't you find alot of change in your Couch Xander when looking for spare change for the Duessy?  I know I came up empty.  

I have one of those big jars chucked full and some others wrapped.  I told my wife If we ever have to turn them in to pay the bills , that would be the sign that we are in trouble. 

like the 1975 Savings Bond I got from My grandparents (now both long since passed) that I just haven't found it in me to cash in,  though it's actually getting eaten up by inflation. 

28 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

You aren't cutting anything up.  Remove the wood body,  which is incorrect for it anyway and replace it with a wood or steel and wood bed nicely crafted.  It would look more correct than the Plywood Hack body on it now. No metal would be cut and you could effectively probably bolt the Hack body on at a later date if desired.  The body looks way to simplistic to me.  It would have been made  of alot more complicated smaller pieces of wood. 

But didn't you find alot of change in your Couch Xander when looking for spare change for the Duessy?  I know I came up empty.  

I have one of those big jars chucked full and some others wrapped.  I told my wife If we ever have to turn them in to pay the bills , that would be the sign that we are in trouble. 

like the 1975 Savings Bond I got from My grandparents (now both long since passed) that I just haven't found it in me to cash in,  though it's actually getting eaten up by inflation. 

I think there's some confusion here.  Link now says ad is no longer available and goes to a 1924 Locomobile limo.

I hear ya on the bond.  I also have a couple from deceased grandparents that I can't bring myself to cash (the bonds, not the grandparents  ?).

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)

42 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Here you go.  Looks like it might have sold.  At that price I can see why.  It might have even gone for a parts car. 

63034542-770-0@2X.jpg

Ah, makes sense now - that body is pretty amateurish.  With better coachwork, it would make a cool RPU or woodie of some sort.

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Here you go.  Looks like it might have sold.  At that price I can see why.  It might have even gone for a parts car. 

63034542-770-0@2X.jpg

Okay, I can see making a pickup out of that one, although it looks like fun to me.  What was the price?  The one that was linked when I looked, was for $119,500.00.

Cheers,

Grog

It was 25 G.  If you looked into the inside of the Depot hack body it was nothing special.  Not crude but just not really finished up either.   If compared to an original Depot Hack of say Dodge or Ford,  it has the shape and that's about it.   You are not fooling a serious enthusiast with whatever you create so have fun with it. 

You might even see it rebodied as a Speedster somewhere as it appears to have sold.

You can't imagine how handy a vintage truck is and how practical they are (especially without the perfect bed you can't put anything in.)   Gives you a whole new set of reasons to drive your old car, or makes some of the chores, less tedious. 

I keep thinking I should put a Fuel transfer tank in the Hudson to refuel my equipment,  but I think Hagerty might frown upon that. 

It might even make the 1 ton suspension ride a little smoother. 

1 hour ago, Dandy Dave said:

Wouldn't it be better to just take the time to reproduce a correct touring body for it? Then you would have something to crow about. Dandy Dave! 

But the experts will always let it be known as it's the one without the original coachwork.  I like the pickup idea as no one can complain you are trying to fake something.  Besides as I said,  a pickup sure is handy, more than an extra row of seats.  I wouldn't cut one up that was a whole car,  but one that was converted long ago is just begging to be finalized with some quality work.   Would love to have been able to buy Hawkeyes Packard Pickup that the picture was posted of a few years ago on this site. 

Does anyone know what happened to it? 

A 31-33 Auburn pickup would be a fun project if i could find a sedan that a barn fell on and messed the rear body up in a way that wouldn't make it worth fixing,  but I'm sure they would be headed to a speedster build before I could get my hands on one. 

On a side note I read somewhere that Auburn Did make Pickup bodies in the late 20's that could be bought through the dealership. 

898d3cf04a0d8055bafb9a2d9c5e80ec.jpg

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I know this site is about the restoration of cars and trucks. But Auburnseeker is right, a person gets hammered on a finished car, when people know you rebuilt it because it was cut up or messed up. To build a custom restored pickup out of unwanted sedans. Would save a lot of cars from a final part out, and the crusher. The amount of after market truck beds for sale pre made, allows a person to pick from a lot of different styles. A lot of original truck bed trailers floating around for sale. Very easy to make a truck bed. I have made a few of them for the Hudson's. Some of these big Packard V12, busted up rotten sedans, that we all know nobody is going to restore. Would make a very nice custom restored pickup, and a different vintage Packard 8 engine can be found. So the V12 engine can be saved for the other V12 cars that had a better life.Lots of fun stuff a person could do with some of this unwanted iron. A quality restoration/custom/street rod shop could bang out a truck bed, and a hobby builder could take over from there at home. It takes me two weeks to build a Hudson truck bed. But a lot of that time is drilling out the 90,000 spot welds Hudson puts on the stake pockets. (need those from the old bed) The rolled tube on the bed rails, is just pipe welded on the folded edge of the sheet metal. The curved wheel well pieces in the bed, are just new $20 trailer fenders cut up just for the small curved areas. Give the hardest job, to the laziest person, and they will find the easiest way to do it.;) 

hudson truck 37 coupe 063.JPG

hudson truck 37 coupe 076.JPG

Cadillac and truck bed 019.JPG

• Like 1