Buick PreWar Division Status Question

MCHinson
Message added by Peter Gariepy

As lead moderator and administrator of the AACA forums (including the BCA forums) Id like to chime in. I dont read every word of every post.  (shocking, I know).  Therefore I rely on the good work of my moderators to keep things on topic (cars, car clubs, etc.) and civil.  Basically to follow the forum rules. http://forums.aaca.org/terms/  With that said thanks to both MrEarl and MCHinson for all your hard work over the years objectively moderating the BCA forums. They also have their own subjective opinions, which we all need to acknowledge and respect.  

This thread has obviously become a bit heated. (duh) Thats not a bad thing, but I want everyone to take a breath and consider what they post.  I don't want to see disagreements end long-term relationships and friendships. Nor do I want to see rash decisions that people will regret later. A friendly reminder:  If I see personal attacks, inappropriate language or anything else that breaks the forum rules I will do my job and moderate. Not a threat. Fact.

Feel free to private message me if you see anything that breaks the forum rules. Please include a link along with the name of the person who posted and the wording you believe breaks forum rules..

Thanks.

Peter Gariepy

AACA Forum Administrator and Lead Moderator. 

forum-moderator-what-my-friends-think-i-do-meme.jpg

Bringing this back to the top to say thanks to our Forum Administrator Peter Gariepy for his thoghts and input regarding this  thread. It helps to hear and know that the mods have someone standing by if help is needed. I also echo his sentiment regarding disagreements and quick tempered words leading to broken friendships. It just ain’t worth all that my friends.

Again, thanks Peter!!!

If you missed his post, it should be at the top of each page. 

I don't see communication as a bad thing. Some people still seem to prefer to keep any differences of opinions secret, thinking that the secrecy helps the club. I disagree. Transparency will help solve the problems caused by a lack of transparency over the past years by the previous board.

I have learned a lot about the BCA from all of the recent communications with board members and others as a result of this and another recent discussion on the forum. I even got an email from Jack Gerstkemper today by way of another member who received it forwarding it to me after Mr Gerstkemper misspelled my name in my email address in his initial email. Since Mr Gerstkemper's email demands that I not post any of his email on the forum, I won't post it but my reply included,

"Personally, I have been in contact with all of the current board members by email and/ or phone recently. It seems to me that the current board is beginning the process of correcting some of the errors of the previous board. I see the discussion as being helpful in correcting the errors of the past. Your insistence on secrecy sounds more like a continuation of the old problems than the current board's move towards transparency in fixing the problems."

I have not received a response from him, but I would like to invite him to come onto the forum and join in a civil discussion of the problems and how to fix them. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

I don't see communication as a bad thing. Some people still seem to prefer to keep any differences of opinions secret, thinking that the secrecy helps the club. I disagree. Transparency will help solve the problems caused by a lack of transparency over the past years by the previous board.

I have learned a lot about the BCA from all of the recent communications with board members and others as a result of this and another recent discussion on the forum. I even got an email from Jack Gerstkemper today by way of another member who received it forwarding it to me after Mr Gerstkemper misspelled my name in my email address in his initial email. Since Mr Gerstkemper's email demands that I not post any of his email on the forum, I won't post it but my reply included,

"Personally, I have been in contact with all of the current board members by email and/ or phone recently. It seems to me that the current board is beginning the process of correcting some of the errors of the previous board. I see the discussion as being helpful in correcting the errors of the past. Your insistence on secrecy sounds more like a continuation of the old problems than the current board's move towards transparency in fixing the problems."

I have not received a response from him, but I would like to invite him to come onto the forum and join in a civil discussion of the problems and how to fix them. 

Matt: AS a BOD member, I received a copy of Jack's email and since for the most part he was giving an opinion to a elect group of recipients, and the fact that a lot of what he was expressing was opinion and some frustration , I would agree that it is best not republished. One related item is that I personally think that since you are a moderator and an administrator , you can be a bit too free with your own opinion on the forum. Calling Jack's request for non forwarding of his email as a demand rather than a request is a bit inflammatory. Just referring to words like " secrecy" will stir up a bunch of non productive comments. The current BOD is in fact working hard to make sure that all our decisions are in the best interest of the BCA. I think it is not in the best interest of the BCA to insinuate that the previous BOD made a lot of errors that the current BOD has to deal with. We are moving forward and we may modify some previous decisions, but whatever is done , please remember that six of our members are previous BOD members and they voted issues based on their conscience. One thing that I have discovered is that to express an opinion on this forum will you wide open to be a target for some members of this forum that thrive on stirring things up. It is one thing when Forum posters make these statements, but it is my belief, that a moderator should remain more neutral. Just my opinion Matt.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Really!  Is he a member of the BOD?   I missed that if he is. If not his search for secrecy is no more valid than my search for openness.  Is it?

Ben

Ben, Jack is not a member of the BOD, he sent an email giving his opinion on certain matters. He has the same right to privacy in that email as any other email the BOD gets expressing. We as a BOD do not publish those emails regardless whether the member specifically asks us to or not.

• Like 1

Forum Members, BCA Members, AACA Members, and who ever else cares to listen,

The back and forth played out on the forum HAS to stop. Regardless of which side you are on it is NOT in the best interests of the BCA to continue the bickering in public. What is in the best interest of the BCA is to email one, several or all of the BCA Board of Directors of your choosing and tell them your opinions and desires and then let them do the job they were elected to do. We need to be working together for the betterment of the club not dividing ourselves apart. Please, enough is enough lets move on to having fun with our Buicks. 

Respectfully,

BCA PAST PRESIDENT

Brian DePouli

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Jack,

Jack, my previous comment was not concerning an email to the board. It was an email that he was sending to me and a few other people. He did copy you on it.

My comments in this discussion are my opinion as a BCA Member. Perhaps my opinion is a bit influenced by the input that I have received from a lot of other BCA members because of my position as a moderator on this forum. My actions in moderation are based on the forum rules. My posts, unless they discuss, moderation, are as just another forum member and a BCA member. You may want to read his email again. He specifically stated,  "DO NOT post any of this on your forums."  I take that as a demand. 

I never said that the previous board made "a lot of mistakes". If you read everything that I have posted, I have referred to a few decisions that I think should be revisited by the current board. I have also indicated that I feel that the current board is working to correct those issues. I feel like the club will be improved but simply trying to sweep everything under the rug is not the way to do that. I am encouraged by the recent direction of the board and the communication that I have had with the board in recent days.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1