Storing Dynaflow Parts

Misterbuickguy

I am going to taking apart about three Dynaflow transmissions I have been lugging around for years now.  I want to tear the units down and store parts for future use.

They will be stored in strong storage plastic bins. Anyone done this before? What should I wrap the parts in? Newspaper, plastic, etc. Want to make sure whatever I use, it will hold up and be protective.

Thanks All!!

I have a lot of parts encapsulated in spider webs. They wipe right off with a soft cloth or even a paper towel. Avoid wearing a black t shirt if you plan to take a lot out of storage.

I actually have a 1962 LeSabre Dynaflow in the cellar. I put it there over 30 years ago before we made the upstairs laundry room. It has a layer of drier lint protecting it from the times the exhaust hose leaked or came off, but it looks pretty good. Don't wear a black shirt around a lot of lint, either.

The key to storing any metal parts is to keep them in a place where the temperature stays constant. Unheated spaces where condensation can occur are killers. That is the greatest problem. For the past four years I have been maintaining my garage at a minimum of 42 degrees. That is the best thing I have done for condensation, freezing, and keeping all the contents in much better shape.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fr. Buick said:

A Buick in parts is a lot more hassle than one all together.  Leave the transmissions whole until you need to take something apart...

Not only that, you'll know where the part goes and how it goes together.............Bob

• Like 5

On 7/29/2018 at 11:38 PM, wndsofchng06 said:

Heavy,  yes... but the case takes up less space with the innards stored inside. 

Store the case in the car and that'll save space in your garage!  ;)

• Haha 2