1939 Cadillac Series 61 Phaeton

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am on the board for the Classic Car Collection in Kearney, Nebraska.  This Cadillac was identified as a car that we could sell to help us raise funds to purchase 'Pete's Patriot', and we have that vehicle now in our permanent collection.

If you would like to see this beautiful open Cadillac in person (we are right on I-80 in the center of the country), please call fellow board member Al Young at (308) 440-7303.  Thank you!

• Like 1

If the cars of this era did see a two tone paint job the colors were the same but slightly different shades ( mostly gray or green) you did not see a bold contrast of colors as it did not lend itself to have the body lines flow that the sheet metal was designed/styled  to accomplish.

That's what I was going to mention.  I know on my Hudson , I'm not a fan of two tones but the subtle change from gray to silver flows rather than distracts. 

I've seen a Hudson done up like the Cadillac and it doesn't come of very well. 

Shame that Caddy isn't all black,  or even Maroon.  Both attractive colors on those cars. 

IMG_6137.JPG

Auburnseeker you have provided a perfect example of what we both think "works" for a car of the late thirties to late forties era when the hood, fenders , window style and size etc were the latest popular style in the late art deco mode . The colors on your Hudson enhance what the stylists were trying to promote . Thanks for taking the time to show us the photo.

The problem with repainting is of this caliber most would need to hire a shop then disassemble part of the car trying not to damage anything either dismantling or reassembling then be afraid it gets caught in paint jail.   No ones wants to spend this degree of investment then have to go and do any significant paint work. 

It's a great car otherwise,  hope it finds a new home.   Maybe Convertible sedans are just not real popular right now,  the 39 Buick on here and several 30's Fords have been on the market for quite some time with no real interest. 

• Like 1

Trying to match the exact shade of the maroon could be an issue as well.

If the market for conv sedans is weak(?) now due to lack of popularity perhaps the chance to buy one for reasonable money is at hand. I think it is a neat body style. I bought my 1940 Buick series 71 conv sedan several years ago and you can get all the fresh air you require with out lowering the top. Lower all the windows, remove the post at the center B pillar and unzip the rear window. Open air driving with out the effort to lower the top.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 8:03 PM, Walt G said:

Trying to match the exact shade of the maroon could be an issue as well.

If the market for conv sedans is weak(?) now due to lack of popularity perhaps the chance to buy one for reasonable money is at hand. I think it is a neat body style. I bought my 1940 Buick series 71 conv sedan several years ago and you can get all the fresh air you require with out lowering the top. Lower all the windows, remove the post at the center B pillar and unzip the rear window. Open air driving with out the effort to lower the top.

Walt, that is an interesting quote aboout fresh air, but in my opinion nothing can replace the "feeling" of touring with the top down. We have done both with our 1937 Buick Roadmaster Phaeton 80C (Convertible Sedan), and the Open-Air view of scenery, above, and to all sides cannot be replaced. There are times when protection from the sun is a good thing, but once you have the center posts (B-Pillars removed - two wing-bolts each), then one more wing bolt on each side to remove the upper frames is no big deal, and folding the top back into the well is a matter of less than a minute.

I agree with comments per the color choice, and that the two-tone distracts from the elegance of the car..

The pictures of our '37 Buick show a similar car, but all in black - and the white canvas top, when erected, only adds to the perceived length anf fluidity of design.

Understated elegance VS flash?

1937+Buick+at+Oak+Alley+Plantation.jpg

1937 Buick at WWII Museum-1.jpg

1937 Buick 2018-12-18 Rear.jpg

1937 Buick 2018-12-17 Front.jpg

1937 BUICK OPEN - 2012 GLIDDEN - TEXAS.jpg

Hey Marty, I can sincerely appreciate your point of view for the top completely down and can agree for one day local trips at slower speeds for a few hours ,  but in my experience a total top down drive gets to be a bit tiresome after several hours at speeds over 40 mph. Sure rolling the windows up in the doors may help but not much . To each their own! You have more warm weather to experience what you described where you are located then we do up here in the NE section of the country.

• Like 1