Where to begin the process of selling?

bobcopy

I have inherited a 1921 Dodge (unsure of model) that I am now trying to sell, it has only 14.9 miles on the odometer. I believe it has entirely original parts, it is not restored at all.  It has always been stored inside and covered, so it is in overall pretty good shape for being almost 100 years old. 15 years ago it started and drove well for a little over 2 miles, it has not been started since then. The car has also been constantly registered with dealerships, it has never been privately registered.  The first private owner can register this as a "New" car with the DMV.  

What is a reasonable price range for a vehicle like this?  I can't find much information online for cars of this age.

How do you recommend selling a car like this?  Any advice or input is appreciated.

IMG_0308[1].JPG

• Like 2

I'm sure we would all love to see more photos of this car.  All angles,  underneath etc.  All original cars have a little different value than regular used and restored cars.  More photos would help.  You will probably need some provenance,  history, a paper trial on the car to prove it's not a car that may have been restored 50 to 60 years ago,  which now many of those cars look the part of being all original to the untrained eye. 

So what kind of paperwork do you have for it?  Some DMV's are going to give the new owner some static trying to register a 1921 car as new.  I imagine you still need some kind of paper work from the factory to do so. 

Just some questions that came to mind when I read your post. 

With more photos the members here I'm sure can tell you the exact model. 

10 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I'm sure we would all love to see more photos of this car.  All angles,  underneath etc.  All original cars have a little different value than regular used and restored cars.  More photos would help.  You will probably need some provenance,  history, a paper trial on the car to prove it's not a car that may have been restored 50 to 60 years ago,  which now many of those cars look the part of being all original to the untrained eye. 

So what kind of paperwork do you have for it?  Some DMV's are going to give the new owner some static trying to register a 1921 car as new.  I imagine you still need some kind of paper work from the factory to do so. 

Just some questions that came to mind when I read your post. 

With more photos the members here I'm sure can tell you the exact model. 

Thanks, I will get some more photos up by the end of the week.

I have a decent amount of paperwork for the car that also discusses it's history.  It was owned by one dealer from 1921 to 1999, it was then transferred to another dealer.  Whoever purchases it will be the third overall owner and the first private owner.

I have what I believe is the original 1921 dealer vehicle registrations (it say "Horseless Carriage Identification Card") along with the original information manual.  

In CA it can be registered without a title, as long as you buy a title bond for the stated value. This way if someone shows up with an original title, the bond will be cashed in and used to either pay the title holder off or reimburse the owner for their loss....your title by bond is still considered a clean title. I think after the experiation of the bond, mine was 5 years, then no one can claim the ownership from you...

• Thanks 1

There are several similar cars for sale in The Dodge Brothers Club News, our club magazine.  A nice 23 touring for $13,500.  A 23 roadster that needs some work for $6200.  A 20 touring that needs a total restoration for $2000.  Top dollar for a pristine, running car is around 18 grand.  I have seen some advertised for more than that - up to 45 grand - but they stay on the market for a long, long time.  If it really is an original survivor, and not an old restoration, it’s worth more.  I looked at a totally original 1918 touring car two years ago for $8000.  If the motor had been running, I would have purchased it.

Pardon me for pointing out what is, perhaps, obvious, but the car is not original in that it has been painted green.  Touring cars were all black from the factory in '21.  Nice car, though.

Remember that DB fans love the marque and the cars, but the market for them is rather poor because they are slow and difficult to drive on today's roads (you are continually having traffic back up behind you); because parts can be difficult to come by; and they aren't worth very much even when restored.  As I say, we do it for the love of the marque, not for market value.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 22touring said:

the car is not original in that it has been painted green. 

Which begs the question, is the 14.9 miles showing SINCE the restoration?  Those NON-SKID tires look nice, but they also appear to have some mileage wear on them.

The problem these days is that a 1960 restoration is almost 60 years old, so it may appear to one as an "original" car, because that's what we think an "original" car should look like.

I too thought the green paint was an indication that the car has had work done to it.

None of this detracts from the car, it's just not a mega dollar original car, it's a good old Dodge, and might bring 10K, or 12K on a very good day.  I know of a local early 20's DB touring that had been for sale for a few years at $7500, good running and driving and looking car, just no interest.  It's not called a "slow four" for nothing.

4 hours ago, 22touring said:

Remember that DB fans love the marque and the cars, but the market for them is rather poor because they are slow and difficult to drive on today's roads (you are continually having traffic back up behind you); because parts can be difficult to come by; and they aren't worth very much even when restored.  As I say, we do it for the love of the marque, not for market value.

I will second all of that.....its purely for the joy.

• Like 1

Bobcopy, hope you've stuck with us through this discussion.  Unfortunately, you haven't hit the lottery, but you do have what seems a good solid car which can find a good home.  Good luck with sale, set a price and go from there....

5 hours ago, 22touring said:

I'll 3rd that. Last year when looking for a 20's automobile to purchase. I did a plain, methodical search on google for all makes and models from 1920 to 1929. I found a wanted to buy a Dodge Brothers purely based on the fact I thought they looked pretty swell! So I ended up with my 1926. I don't mind that they aren't as sought after as others. It makes me happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Bobcopy",

I see from the picture you included with your initial question, the license is a "California Horseless Carriage" plate.

If you (The Car) is STILL in California and you want to list it for sale with like-minded Dodge Brothers Owners?

Feel free  to contact the Northern California Dodge Brothers & Sisters at:   donncharles1@ gmail.com   or   dbbros@aol.com

Include a couple of 'general' pictures and where it is currently located / stored ........ We may be able to help sell your car.

Keep-on-Dodgin'

"Power Wagon Dude"  A Member of NCDB&S 

• Like 2

Hi all, sorry for disappearing on you all.  It's been a busy week.  

Thank you all for the information and advice thus far.  I will still get more pictures up here, but it might take a few more days.  The vehicle has not yet been sold.  

On 6/24/2018 at 1:24 PM, Power Wagon Dude said:

"Bobcopy",

I see from the picture you included with your initial question, the license is a "California Horseless Carriage" plate.

If you (The Car) is STILL in California and you want to list it for sale with like-minded Dodge Brothers Owners?

Feel free  to contact the Northern California Dodge Brothers & Sisters at:   donncharles1@ gmail.com   or   dbbros@aol.com

Include a couple of 'general' pictures and where it is currently located / stored ........ We may be able to help sell your car.

Keep-on-Dodgin'

"Power Wagon Dude"  A Member of NCDB&S 

The car is in Northern CA.  I will be in contact with you later in the week.

23 hours ago, franklinman said:

I've PM'd the seller twice now and not received any response. Don't know if he/she isn't familiar with how things go on our forum, or what.

I will also contact you within the week.

• 2 weeks later...