1928 Ford Roadster Paint

MickyDC

My 28 Ford roadsters is an olive green paint.  I tried to go over it with a different paint I thought I would like.  Does any one know what colors were offered in 28.  I know a lot of Model A's were black but I would prefer a color that stands out.  The body is straight but with a few blemishes.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  

I do not know the fine color combinations offered for 1928 model A's, but this is a good start. Bookmark this link, as it has 125,000 color chips!

http://www.tcpglobal.com/

Click on the square "Auto Color Library" then click on the right year subsection (decades), year and then make. Good Model A page, just as usual, the chips appear darker than they were when they were made. I see this on a lot of the paint books I look at.

Someone with Model A experience should be around soon.

Most model A Fords were not black. They came in a wide variety of color combinations which varied from body style to body style, and to some extent year to year. Even whether the car was a standard or deluxe model changed the color choices for some body styles. It has been a long time since I played around with such modern cars. But years ago, there were a couple very good books available from most of the parts suppliers that gave a very good breakdown of which colors were available on which cars and when. One such book used to come with nice color chips to help. Although color chips are notoriously unreliable at conveying to the human eye how such a color will appear on a broad canvas of a car body.

I believe some of those books are still available.

Here are the original color options as published by the Model A Ford Club of America (www.mafca.com) and taken from the judging standards. This is for the body. The fenders and wheels would be black on a 1928 as per factory specifications.

As others above have mentioned, the Model A paint chip book is a must have for any Model A library. It can be purchased from Snyder's and other vendors. Here is a link:

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/paint-amp-finish-guide

1928 Phaeton (35-A) and Roadster (40-A)

Body Belt, Qtr, & Sill Molding Stripe
Niagra Blue, Light Dutchess Blue French Gray
Niagra Blue, Dark Dutchess Blue French Gray
Arabian Sand, Light Copra Drab French Gray
Arabian Sand, Dark Copra Drab French Gray
Dawn Gray, Dark Gunmetal Blue French Gray
Gunmetal Blue Dawn Gray, Dark Straw

Source: Model A Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards, 1994
Last Update: 04/15/2010 
© copyright Model A Ford Club of America, Inc.
Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)