Need some local help with cars

Hello. I just adopted two classic cars that I am going to try to get ready for use. My friend's husband died, and I want to get everything in tip top shape as a present to remember her husband with. I am in the North New Jersey area in the US. If I would be able to maybe pay someone in the area to help me out, that would be amazing. I do not want to just drop them off at a shop, because I would like to learn as well. The two vehicles are a 1971 Volvo 1800E and a 1959 Chevorlet Biscayne. Hope to hear back from someone. Thanks! Both are in perfect shape, but need new hoses, spark plugs, and minor stuff like that.

Derf, 

Very cool of you to try and help this lady with her cars. One suggestion: Please do some "learning" BEFORE you start doing any work. That '59 Biscayne MIGHT have old hoses, spark plugs, and "things like that..." because of being a "Survivor Car." The term "survivor" is applied to cars which have NOT been restored, and are as original as possible, like they were when they rolled off the assembly line. Of course, I have no way of knowing about the car you are working on, but I am familiar with some folks who have gone to great lengths to preserve original hoses, fan belts, battery, air filter element, tires, etc, etc, etc...just to boost its status as a "survivor." Some collectors really dig cars with original parts, even if the battery is totally dead and the hoses are so hard they are about to break, etc. 

I am not advocating for one style of car collecting (personal taste) over another. But IF you have a car with extremely low miles which is totally original, you can reduce its value by replacing original parts. It won't hurt anything to figure out what you have first, BEFORE you start working on it. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

I have reached out to the OP to see if I can help.

If the car has original hoses, belts, plugs ,etc but they want to make it safe/dependable for driving

the original parts can be removed/replaced and retained in case they wanted to put them back

• Like 1

The '59 will need all new rubber brake hoses, at a minimum, as well as replacing all the rubber hose connectors in the fuel link starting at the tank and forward.

The carburetor will likely need to be rebuilt using modern components that are ethanol compatible as well as a new fuel pump as ethanol will eat the fuel pump diaphragm in short order.

Unless they can verify those things were dealt with I wouldn't trust it.

I've had two '59's and am pretty familiar with them.

What's under the hood?

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. In addition to anyone in the area that you find on the Discussion Forum, you should probably also reach out to one of the local AACA Regions in your area. The NJ Region might be closest, or perhaps another one of the regions in NJ or NY might be closer to you. Here is the website for the NJ Region: https://njregionaaca.com/ 

If you make contact with the Region, I am sure that they can help you find someone local who can help you. You should also join one of the AACA Regions in your area. Lots of people in AACA are willing to help a fellow old car fan, even though all of them are not active in an online environment like this Discussion Forum. 

• Like 1