COMMON SCAM: If you receive a private message from a new member offering a part, make sure to thoroughly verify it. It’s your responsibility to ensure it’s not a scam. Report any suspicious users immediately. ×

1928 Master clutch release bearing & grease cup

pepcak

Hi,

what are correct dims for 1928 Master clutch release bearing, especially thickness of it? Somebody in the past modified the clutch to single plate on my car, so trying to to convert it to original setup. Is the bearing the same with STD model?

Does anybody have the slider part / bearing retainer #206526 (or the complete assembly w/ bearing) that he can sell?

Thanks for any help.

Josef

Josef, 

The clutch bearing itself 36138 is on many cars

1922-24 4 cyl, E-H-K 1921 to 1929 6 cylinder.  1930 ser 40-50-60, 1931 ser 8-60, 8-80, 8-90

So in 1925, same bearing for Master or Standard.

My replacement throw out bearing from Bobs is 1" thick  (It came as a bearing and a spacer)

The #206526 clutch release bearing retainer is 1928 & 29 6 cyl, domestic 1930 ser 40-50-60.

If your car is outfitted with a single clutch disc, I would stay with it.  A single disc is a better design than the old multi disc units.  

Hugh

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)

Hugh,

thanks for information. The execution and condition of the single plate clutch was really bad, cracked disc of blue/yellow color loosely bolted on flywheel with its thickness significantly machined down,  loose & broken parts etc. Luckily, they kept the  lever and gearbox plate intact. On top of that I am trying to preserve original design as intended 90 years ago. I got original flywheel and clutch assy from Fred R. some tome ago, so the puzzle is slowly becoming complete.

Somebody in the past welded up extra material on the retainer to increase its OD to 55 milimeters and used some really massive (OD 125mm, 36mm thick) 3 piece metric bearing (for 55mm shaft), with its axial location shifted forward to compensate missing thickness of the clutch. See attached image. 

I am thinking to buy a smaller one, with OD 90mm that fits between 3 pins protruding from clutch, and with 55mm ID to fit on (increased) retainer OD, This metric bearing is 25mm thick so it seems a good match with original 1". The disadvantage here is the bearing is only available as 3 piece unshielded design, thus it would require some extra circlip or something to keep the things together. Alternatively I am thinking to have it shielded as one of my friends runs a sheet metal forming shop.

Other option seems to be to source original retainer and (replacement) bearing.

Josef

clutch bearing.jpg

20 hours ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

Josef, 

The clutch bearing itself 36138 is on many cars

1922-24 4 cyl, E-H-K 1921 to 1929 6 cylinder.  1930 ser 40-50-60, 1931 ser 8-60, 8-80, 8-90

So in 1925, same bearing for Master or Standard.

My replacement throw out bearing from Bobs is 1" thick  (It came as a bearing and a spacer)

The #206526 clutch release bearing retainer is 1928 & 29 6 cyl, domestic 1930 ser 40-50-60.

If your car is outfitted with a single clutch disc, I would stay with it.  A single disc is a better design than the old multi disc units.  

Hugh

Hi Hugh

Can you please confirm that the specs below are correct?

Bearing name 7038C bearing
New model 7038C
Old model 36138 bearing
Products types 7038C Angular Contact Ball Bearings
Categories Angular Contact Ball Bearings
Brands SNR
Dimensions (mm)
Inside diameter ID d 190
Outside diameter OD D 290
Thickness B 46
Size (IDxODxB)mm 190x290x46

Josef, 

My original throw out bearing (measuring as close as I can, but I have not removed it from the retainer so my numbers may be a little off. 

2.067 ID (52.5 mm)

3.420 OD (86.87 mm)

1" thick

The replacement throw out bearing from Bob's Automobilia is

part #02135

2.130 ID

3.470 OD

.765 thick

This comes with a spacer

2.218 ID

2.485 OD

.255 thick

The bearing that you are showing is not your normal throw out bearing design.  If it were me, I would take your retainer to a machine shop and grind off the extra weld that the previous owner added and install a regular throw out bearing from Bob's Automobilia.  You want a sheilded or better yet a sealed bearing because there is a lot of friction dust that gets in the clutch area, and will get in the bearing grease and could cause trouble down the road.   Hugh  

• Like 3

Hi Hugh,

another forum member here thinks he has complete 1927 Master retainer and bearing assembly that he can possibly miss, so I will wait for his findings. I agree the shielded / sealed bearing is better solution than open 3 piece design, that needs to be axially secured on top of other issues.

Josef

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, after turning the slider part down to fit metric bearing ID 55mm, the whole thing disintegrated; apparently it was made up from two pieces. Back to square one:

Does anybody have the slider part / bearing retainer #206526 (or the complete assembly w/ bearing 36138) that he can sell?

Good original parts preferred.

Any help is much appreciated.

Josef

Josef,

I did not read all the posts.  I just skipped to the end.   I have a stack of 1928 Master clutches. 

I was getting ready to send you a couple of 3 leg water tubes for patterns.    I could send it with the water tubes.

Fred   fred.rawling@live.com

• 3 weeks later...

Can anybody tell me how the bearing is installed correctly? 

I pulled mine and it looks like shown in the picture, don't now where is the worn shaft coming from. Looks like the bearing was turning over..

As far as it was installed  the spacer is flush to the slider part and then the bearing itself to the spacer, just wan't to make sure it should be like this.

Werner

IMG_4763.jpg

• Like 1

Werner, 

I used a bench vise to help disassemble the clutch bearing from the holder.  The original bearing has a slot along the inside of it so that grease can enter the bearing.  The replacement clutch bearing from Bob's Automobilia is a spacer and a sealed bearing.  If you put grease into the bearing holder, the grease will only lubricate the sliding motion of the holder on the shaft.  Hugh

IMG_6469.thumb.JPG.d1821fd1bdea617792994eece4894e43.JPG

1277265185_IMG_6474ClutchTObearingremoval.thumb.JPG.5bc14bbabe250d8f3ce97534cd93ba3c.JPG

• Like 2

Thank you Leif, I got this picture too out of the reference book. It looks like the bearing is flush the slider.

Hugh, I got the replacement bearing with the spacer and a one like this was already installed. So I will just press it as close to the holder as possible.