31 60 series water coming out grease fitting

Dave39MD

I have noticed engine coolant coming out of the grease fitting on the water pump. It has a screw on cap but that does not stop it. When I hit it with a few pumps of water pump grease it stops leaking for a couple of trips in the car.

Is this normal? If not what would you suggest as the cure?

Thanks

Dave

Are you sure it has a ball in the grease nipple part of it? I have something similar in my Studebaker steering box - a "grease nipple" with no ball. It was meant for thick oil using the push gun that came with the car.

What sort of bush is it lubricating? Is it a standard brass or bronze bush or an oil-impregnated one?

The reason I ask it that my 1930 Dodge Brothers Eight had a similar problem, but mine had an oil cap with no nipple. It had a brass bush with a hole in it open to the oil reservoir around the bush. There was nothing to stop water coming out. It should be an oil impregnated (sintered bronze) bush, oiled with engine oil. "Oilite" was the first brand I believe, but there were others. I was just wondering if yours might have been similar originally.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

The original fitting was missing the cap and I replaced it with one in my Alemite cabinet. I thought it had the ball but I will check. I have no idea on the pump but do have a spare I will take apart to see what is going on. I suspect it is the same as your Dodge. It seems like the fitting is in water and about two inches behind the packing where the shaft leaves the pump.

thanks

Dave

The grease fitting should be centered on a lantern ring within the packing set to distribute grease around the shaft.  The grease fitting should also have a spring loaded ball check to prevent backflow.  Since water is much thinner than grease, it will sometimes weep.  Just a short shot of grease should stop the weeping.

I had the same thing happen with my 27-25 water pump.   A previous owner had installed a grease cup with screw cap.  One day I went into the garage and a gallon of coolant was on the floor. 

I installed a modern zerk fitting, and that leaked to, so I resorted to a brass plug that I remove and install a zerk when I add grease to the pump bearing. 

Spinneyhill,

It is not like that in the spare pump I took apart. Going from the impeller there is a bronze bushing the shaft runs through. Then an open chamber where the grease fitting is, then on to the bushing where the packing is at.  As someone suggested, it does stop when you pump water pump grease in but it looks like it will require some constant attention (like many other things). The plug idea is good and I may do that.

Thanks

Dave

1 hour ago, Spinneyhill said:

I am not familiar with the setup. Is it a bit like this?

image.png.879472d609ac311f6379e0ae9651210c.pngwith packing on both sides?

Yes, but usually with several rings on the wet side and maybe two rings on the dry side.  The grease fitting must line up with the lantern ring so grease is evenly distributed.  As the packing wears & the gland nut is tightened,  the lantern ring may move away from the grease fitting and cause more packing wear and leakage.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

Just now, Spinneyhill said:

So what you are saying is that if water comes out of the grease fitting, at least one lot of packing is pretty much worn out and it is time to repack the pump?

Yup, and to make sure the lantern ring is still in the right place.

39 minutes ago, Dave39MD said:

It is not like that in the spare pump I took apart. Going from the impeller there is a bronze bushing the shaft runs through. Then an open chamber where the grease fitting is, then on to the bushing where the packing is at. 

So based on Mark Shaw's comment above, it appears the open chamber should have some packing in it, then the lantern ring, then some more packing.

Anyone have a cross section drawing?

Interesting but the pump I am looking at doesn't seem to have anyway to have a lantern ring between the packing. The grease fitting is between two pressed in bushings and about 1 inch from the bottom of the packing. This pump may have been rebuilt at sometime. I could not find lantern rings in the catalog, any idea what Buick called them?

Thanks

Dave

water pump 2.jpg

water pump 1.jpg

Edited by Dave39MD (see edit history)