What did a ’63 Riviera ride (not steer) like when new?

JanZverina

12 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Glad I decided not to overtake as ahead I saw  the Mustang suddenly brake and swerve.

And a kangaroo happily hopped across the road and into the bush

I will "pick up" a car like that while driving with my wife. When he turns off my wife will say "You lost your deer car".

At higher seeds that lead car will also sweep for police.

• Haha 1

A guy I know used to use the car in front of him as a 'sweeper' until he was pulled over. When he told the cop that the guy in front of him was driving just as fast, the cop replied 'I take turns. One time the first guy, next time the second guy, sometimes the third guy.  I'm not so dumb as to think that you can get away with this old trick."

NE Kansas, eh. I saw a movie about Kansas once and things were all black and white there.

Our sheriffs do two at a time around here. My mother and my sister were both speeding down the County Line Rd. one night. The cop pulled out around my mother, caught up to, and stopped my sister. My mother stopped behind them, with her dander up,to tell him not to write a ticket for my sister. He pointed at her car and said "Get back in the car, Lady. I have one for you, too".

My mother got away Scott free when she told the judge about how quiet the new cars were and you couldn't sense the speed. Little old whited haired lady in a Buick. Modifications unnecessary.

On 10/18/2020 at 1:25 PM, 60FlatTop said:

NE Kansas, eh. I saw a movie about Kansas once and things were all black and white there.

Isn't Bernie from Canada, eh? He started with "NE Kansas, eh . . . ."😃

Our cost of living and housing is reasonable . . . . until you do the currency conversion!

11 hours ago, RivNut said:

Naw, Berny is a Nu Yaaker.

We don't talk that way at this end of the 400 mile wide state, probably Milwaukee has the closest accent to ours.

Here is a picture of Toronto from a hill near a restaurant my wife and I go to. Looks a little like the Emerald City.

Toronto.thumb.jpg.815d6d6647b5c571c3722e03dcdc4baf.jpg

My great grandfather, Dad, and uncle finished a lot of sentences with "Eh".

And we are a little shy of glass and concrete up here. I guess my image of Kansas is kind of based on the movie about the girl who committed the political murders.

Dust-2.jpg

I guess everyone's ideas of what a state, in which he's never been, is based on what you see on TV or in the movies.  I've never seen a movie where a Nu Yaaker speaks with any accent other than the kind that Aaron Judge is practicing in the TV commercial.  You should take your 59 on a road trip and see things like this  

image.png.16f9f5edec311ac9d5d8ae9009a05a40.png

Kansas has an area of a little over 82,000 square miles, whereas New York is only ~ 54,500.  My information says New York is only 330 miles wide.

What is the name of the movie you're referencing in which the girl commits the political murders?  

She accidentally kills s political leader with her house. Then the opposing leadership coerces her into killing a second one while hiding her means to return home. A guy from New York wrote the book.

As for how a Rivera drives and handles:

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

She accidentally kills s political leader with her house. Then the opposing leadership coerces her into killing a second one while hiding her means to return home. A guy from New York wrote the book.

As for how a Rivera drives and handles:

Oh, that fantasy.  KInd of like this one.

relates to A New Yorker's Delightfully Stereotypical Map of America

I was unaware of the 1st generation Riviera until I encountered one in Burke, NY parked next to a Corvair, a Spyder I think. That same year, I travelled to Syracuse to buy a pair of '55 Nomad doors. it was 1977.

Back then, my trips south of the seaway, I found that Upstate NYers love their Buicks.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

It is my opinion one should COMPLETELY rebuild or replace all suspension/steering components if one wants to experience how a car felt and performed like when new.  Both my late father's 1964 and 1965 Riviera (both fairly low mile examples) I would never characterize as having a "jarring" ride.  And my former 1967 Riviera GS was phenomenal in the ride and handling department. Rivs from 1963-1970 had basically the same suspension, steering and chassis. They did relocate the panhard bars in 1968 and again in 1969 as I understand for better cornering though. 

BTW, the main reason I switch from Ford (mostly Thunderbirds) to Buick, especially Rivieras, was because of the far superior ride and handling. 

These control arm bushings have grease zerk fittings, unlike latter models which are more typical of most lesser GM cars.  My 1964 Skylarks had this style too, but the 1965s die not.