Peerless 8U Engine Torque Specs

mil*man

I don't think "torque specs" were invented until well after Peerless was out of business. They are a relatively modern development.

Google "torque spec chart" and you'll get info on generic torque figures depending on the size, thread, and material of the bolt. If using the original bolts, er on the side of caution and presume they are soft. Or, find a 1920s copy of the SAE handbook and look up the specs for different bolts. That will generally identify the material although there may not be readily apparent modern equivalent.

Cracking the block, particularly for bolts near the edge of the block, is a real risk. A friend's 6cyl flathead '27 Pontiac block was ruined by over torquing the head, 2 edge bolt holes cracked, a near impossible repair. Reinforces the importance of using a new high quality headgasket and any other additional measures to eliminate leaks rather than over-tightening bolts.

The maximum torque rating varies according to the diameter of the bolt, the threads, the material and whether it is dry or lubricated. If you are going for "as tight as you can get it" you cannot use just any figures... you have to figure out what it probably should be. If there is any chance the bolt was overtightened in the past, it is probably stretched and you should probably replace it. It isn't rocket science, but you can't "wing it" either.

Phantom I RRs were - "a strong man with a wrench no longer than 6".

With a standard 1/2" ratchet I tightened my head bolts using my lower arm, not my whole body for many years.  When I bought a torque wrench I found that on average my bolts had been tightened to 50 ft/ lbs.  So that is how I tighten them now 40 then 45 then 50 even when reusing a gasket for the second or third time.  I never had a problem with leaks and only broke one head bolt removing it.  At that point I replaced all the head bolts.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)