factory ac expansion valve source

dr914

On 4/5/2018 at 8:24 PM, DualQuadDave said:

I might have one. What condition is your vacuum diaphragm in(the flying saucer on top). I know I have a few good rebuildable bases, but some of the diaphragms are shot. Let me know what you need.

The valve with the vacuum diaphragm (flying saucer on top) is the Suction Throttle Valve (STV) not the expansion valve.

The expansion valve bolts to the inlet of the evaporator and limits the flow of freon liquid that goes into the core so that it does not freeze up into a solid block of ice.

The most important design parameter for this expansion valve is how many degrees of superheat it puts into the freon as it exits the evaporator.  I'm doing it from memory, and my reference books are not here with me right now.  As I recall, the Riviera valve is a couple of degrees more of superheat.

I, too, have had a problem with these aftermarket expansion valves not fitting.  I think the fittings on the Riv are different size and gender from the other full-size Buicks of the era.  The aftermarket suppliers are providing valve that work on the other models.

Edited by Jim Cannon (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I had my a suction throttling valve  for 63 rebuilt from Old Air in HoustonTX. Old Air did an outstanding job and timely as well. I found the rebuild fee a tad steep.

I have a suction control throttling valve core if that is what you need.

Red Riviera Bob

• Like 1

On 4/8/2018 at 11:57 AM, Jim Cannon said:

Old Air Products is up in Dallas/Ft. Worth, not Houston.

But as I said before, the STV is not the Expansion Valve that George needs.

Jim, that is true Old Air is in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area. I missed in the thread the required part was the Expansion valve. My mistake on both parts. When I had a STV rebuilt by OLd Air I kept my existing STV on the car. I bought a STV core and had the seller of the STV core ship to Old Air for rebuild. Old Air provided an expansion valve they had stashed away when they rebuilt the STV.

RRB

George-

In the 1963 Buick Master Chassis Parts Book, the following numbers are listed for the expansion valves.  I expect '64 to be the same.

Series 4400-4600-4800           Valve, Expansion                6550178

Series 4700  A.C.                      Valve, Expansion               5910464

So you can see from the above that the Riviera valve is different, per GM.  As is often the case, aftermarket people lump all the full-size cars together.  I have included here a photo of an OEM TXV.  I do not have it, just the picture.  I hope this helps.

63 Riv OEM expansion valve.JPG

Edited by Jim Cannon (see edit history)
  • Like 1