Rim color for a 1926 DB

Wheelmang

It will be a while before I get to it but I have noticed in various pictures of DBs that there is a wide variety of colors on the rims. Mine are currently painted silver. When I get to refinishing the wheels and rims what color should the rims and rim clamps be?

Thanks

Paul

Of course the felloes are a different matter, but I am going to jump in here, even though nobody asked, and say they should be postal blue. In fact the whole danged wheel is supposed to be painted postal blue(?)

I could be wrong, though. That's the color they are supposed to be on my '22 touring.  Did DB start painting the felloes black at some point?  I think the wood spokes were always painted postal.

Would somebody please correct me if I am wrong?  Thank you.

New wheel.jpg

Edited by 22touring (see edit history)

My 27 came with the  wheel painted blue.  I wanted the wood to stand out, so applied the best paint remover I could find.  Wouldn't touch the paint!!  Hand scraped each spoke, and each wheel took 40 hours cleaning to look good.  Never expected all the labor, but they look sharp!!

1 hour ago, aunty norm said:

Was just wondering what you used to seal the raw wood?  I do have a 1928 sedan that are  painted and I am restoring a 1927 roadster which I want to leave natural.

On my 84 S-10 I turned it into a woodie I used plain pine boards for the cab and deck wood for the bed. I left the pine natural and stained the bed and then outlined the sides of the bed with pine and left it natural. After it was completely dry I went to Tractor Sales and got a quart of truck and farm implement clear coat, I did this about 6 or 7 years ago. The bed still looks great and yesterday I sanded down the pine to reseal it with more of the clear. 

27dodger0 wrote: "...they look sharp"

Aha, the great DB philosophical question: is trying to make a deliberately conservative, understated car like the DB "sharp" like putting 20-inch rims on a Prius?

This guy tried to make his DB sharp, too:

DB1b.jpg

• Like 1

"Wheeling Dodgers",

When I started restoration of my '23 Screenside, I asked an old "Dodge Guru" up in Northern California about what to do with the steel split-rims.

He said they were  originally plated  at the factory with Cadmium. However, the plating material is now considered to be a heavy metal, hazardous to ones health and long ago banned by the EPA.

He further explained that when he started restoring Dodge's he had tried to find someone to do this work, but never found anyone who was willing because of the danger using the material.

He suggested using "Argent Silver"' a Chevrolet Color also used on wheels of their 60's & 70's Cars.

I found it in  'Rattle-Cans'  from Eastwood  I remember that it took  three cans to do the set of 4, as well as the rim for the spare tire. It is also easy to get in Quarts for spraying or for

touch-up after the tires are mounted or later if there are any scratches or dings.

Good Luck, with your projects,

Power Wagon Dude

(209) 533-3663

• Thanks 1