Jonesborough, TN, when it was Jonesboro

Jim Bollman

The police car appears to be a 1954 Ford Mainline. Not sure of the year of the Jeep brush truck.

The real question can anyone identify the fuzzy blob on the left beside the building. Some locals are trying to determine what year the  photo was taken.

Jonesborough-1954.jpg

I originally thought 1955 Chevy, but the more I looked at the bulbous roof, the more I see a 1949 Ford with the slits for taillights. Just a guess as it does not get clear enough to tell for me.

1949 ford streetrod rear.jpg

Jonesboro.jpg

I agree the roof doesn't look right but I think there might be some distortion in the photo at the edge. I figured it was a long shot as poor as that part of the photo is. The police car has to get them with in a few years of dating the photo.

I think it's a 1949 with the wide all-chrome trunk handle vs. the 1950's smaller and partially painted trunk handle.  Also agree that distortion is responsible for making the back window look like 1953 Mercury.  I'd go with 1954, perhaps plus no more than a year, based on the police car being a quite clean 1954. 

I guess I will concede to 49 Ford unless someone else jumps in with a better idea. I showed the picture to a car friend at church this morning and he almost instantly said 49 Ford and he is a GM guy.

The Willys is a CJ2A, the chrome headlight rings and bullet parking lamps indicate mid '46 and later. It also does not have the spare tire on it's right side. It could have been removed as part of the fire truck conversion or it may be a "lefty" with the spare on the left side which would put it later on in the production run.