1933 LaSalle fire up

cadillackid

Sunday I am firing my Sunday I am firing my 33 up and getting it running for the first time in years. I need to fire it up with an external tank what pressure should I run to the carburetor or can I do it with a gravity tank. Help appreciated I already oil the cylinders and did all the fluid changes I'm going to wire the coil Direct

Be careful of fire, have an extinguisher handy. Do not pour gas in the carb, it can backfire and turn into a disaster. I would place the remote tank away from the car on a stand, NOT under the hood, for additional safety. I would also pull the plugs and crank the engine over with the starter till you read oil pressure on the guage. Good luck, Ed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use a boat tank strapped to the roof, maybe on a blanket if the paint is worth saving.

I can use the inline primer bulb to fill the carburetor the it will gravity feed after that. Sometimes I Have to get creative if the car has a hood.

Looks hokey but very handy.

I bought a 55 Chrysler and tried to start the engine with no luck.

I drained the oil and stuck my finger in the drain hole to feel for particles, All I found was sludge about 1 1/2" thick with a hole through it to drain the oil.

After removing the pan, the sludge was completely surrounding the pick up screen and over the top of it,

Deciding that it needed to be disassembled, I Removed the water pump, It was completely filled with rust, as were the holes going into the block.

I removed the core plugs to find the block completely full of rust.

Three months later I happened to turn the radiator upside down and was showered with water that did not drain even though the lower radiator hose was off.

You may be wasting your time trying to start it and may do more harm than good.

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)

Two years ago I started my 1929 Model A Ford for the first time since 1982. I pulled the plugs and squirted WD-40 into each hole and used the extended nozzle to get as close to the valve guides as possible. Because I removed the body I could not use the stock tank. I fabricated a gravity tank from a two foot length of PVC pipe and used the gravity method. I turned the motor over by hand crank every day for a week and when it came time, it fired right up. Talk about being surprised, asleep for 35 years and it runs great.