EBAY, 40 years and the last Locomobile hubcap story

alsfarms

3 hours ago, alsfarms said:

How similar will you Olds be to a Chevrolet roadster of the same vintage?

Al

The Olds Deluxe convertible roadster is actually very close to a Chevy Cabriolet and a Pontiac Cabriolet. Olds for some reason called it a roadster but it was actually a cabriolet. The bodies of all GM cabriolets of 31-32 era are all very similar from the front body mount back, often sharing some of the same wood components as all were Fisher bodied.  The belt line moldings all differed but all three shared the same convertible roof framing and irons. The real differences were in the chassis and engines. Both Olds and Pontiac were pressurized engines while the Chevy used the dipper system. The Olds was definitely more refined with options and components but build quality was pretty much the same between all three.

• Like 1

Here is another story of a good find and how EBAY worked for me.  When I first started searching EBAY, I was simply amazed at the variety of antique automobile parts that were found there.  What a MECCA of parts!  I really like the 1930-31 LaSalle and Cadillac cars and was hunting for body pieces for a 1930 Convt. coupe.  I clumsily searched around and found something that I had never seen before, a complete convt. coupe door for the body I have.  This auction was a bid or "buy it now".  I weighed the odds against my needs, which nudged me to use the "buy it now".  It was just a fair market price.  Maybe I could have run the auction out and got the door for a few dollars less but maybe loose the bid altogether.  I pushed the "buy it now" and the door was mine.  Yippee!, now I had a good pattern to go by as I built the body.  I have since learned that the "buy it now " option certainly does have its place and I use it when I feel the need.

Al

Living here in the USA, ebay (USA, Italy, France, etc.) made finding parts for my 1959 Fiat Granluce, 1967 Fiat Giardiniera, 1956 Citroen 2CV Van much is easier if not just plain possible. Meeting folks from around the world and nearby has been an amazing side benefit. A gentleman up in Michigan (I'm in Ohio) bought a Fiat parts car from California and took what he wanted, then I bought it from him and took what I wanted, then I was able to sell it again when I was done - all done through eBay. By the way, the engine in that parts car ended up going back to California!

• Like 1

Owning and daily driving three Reattas daily I am constantly looking for parts. The Reatta as yoiu might know is almost a Buick "orphan" car and parts availability is getting harder every year. Ebay has been a Godsend, just recently on the Reatta forum we have been talking about converting Camaro mufflers to our cars. There was a correct muffler part number listed by a forum member and so I go to Ebay enter the number ***** muffler and there are 3 available to buy.

And cheaper then when they were available through the parts houses!

Here is another EBAY story that still makes me get a nervous smile when I think of it.  When I first ventured into EBAY and finally decided to register so I could hunt, bid and own those parts of my dreams, I really did not know how the system worked.  Well to get to the point, I had identified my first auto part that I could simply not live without.  (I did mention that I didn't know what I was doing).  I got the item pulled up, determined what I would pay (very close to the end of the auction) then I did the HORRIBLE thing.  I had decided to bid $150.   that was it... not more!  But what I did was stammer on the 0 and bid $1500. not $150.  I didn't catch my mistake until  after I have hit the file key.  OH MAN DID I HAVE A HOT FLASH FOLLOWED BY A COLD SWEAT.  I just new someone was going to be there and bid me up to my new amount of the  $1500 bid for a $150 part.  It all turned out OK, the bid actually went for way less than my colossal bid and I did actually sleep better that night!  I did learn, be careful when you bid and look things over very carefully before you hit the final key to send the bid!  I was surely wiser after that.  Its a good thing my wife was not watching that bid or she would have known for sure that I had lost my marbles!

Al

12 minutes ago, redsshed77 said:

All comments are buying and finding parts.that is always good.the bad and has always been is the selling.

You do realize without the selling NONE of these other stories would have been possible??

AND I'll bet almost all of these people also have at least one good story about selling on eBay as well.

Howard Dennis

11 hours ago, hddennis said:

You do realize without the selling NONE of these other stories would have been possible??

AND I'll bet almost all of these people also have at least one good story about selling on eBay as well.

Howard Dennis

I have never sold on Ebay [or Craigslist for that matter]. I buy what I think will be needed by me or others and what I find I don't want, I sell to others on the Reatta forum.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

Many people slam eBay for one reason or another, but I think it has been the best thing that has come along for our hobby since I have been involved (45 years); buying or selling.  Last year I pulled the engine on my 22 Marmon to find that the fiber cam gear was hopelessly worn out.  I thought I was going to have to have a replacement drawn up and custom machined from aluminum, and was mentally preparing for the huge price tag on that.   Then, out of the blue, somebody posted a NOS gear, exactly the one I needed, on eBay with an opening price of 99 cents.   I won't say what I had entered as a maximum bid, but imagine my joy when the auction ended and I was the only bidder, winning the part for a whopping 99 cents!