1931 Buick rear hub removal.

Guest chrome jet

Guest chrome jet

I have a 31 60 series and i want to repack the hubs and do some brake work.There is not much to get a grip on with any puller. The service book gives no clues. Does anyone have experience with this... tool to be made .........Thanks.......

Heres what I use for our 31' 90 series.   I had to make the extensions which are just 2 grade 8 nuts welded together.  Thread the extension bolt in one end and thread the other grade 8 nut to the lug stud.  This was the quick and easy fix when I already had the hub puller.  

Our car needed lots of heat on the rear hub along with the puller the first time.  It was on there probably 30+ years.  I just pulled them off last fall for service and they popped right off. 

DSCF2619.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have purchased "split collars" and used a large jaw puller (8") to pull wheels off.  You can place a rag or rubber to protect the paint between the split collar and the part you are trying to remove.  This example is of a water pump gear that I am removing.  SOMEONE ELSE BROKE THIS FLANGE.  That is why I like using a split collar.  It transmits all the load close to the part I want to save, and it gives a place for a large puller to hold on to.  Note the hand mallet.  I tighten the puller up, and then I give a smack on the end of the threaded puller shaft.  Turn it until tight again, and then another whack.  It takes a while to pull some things apart.  I also locate the puller jaws on top of the 2 split collar bolts.    Hugh

5a6d60384bab1_2017-10-1320_30_21.thumb.jpg.1976bc79821d8be6b31e9fcbf4c638cc.jpg5a6d607f19193_2017-10-1321_00_38.thumb.jpg.2a4a951e6e6fe21d3784dcd647ba3a96.jpg