BATTERY QUESTION FOR THE ENTHUSIASTS

Terry Wiegand

Here is a question that I have been wondering about for some time.  I am pushing pretty hard at trying to get my 1916 D-45 ready to be back on the road.  Here is my question - The car is equipped with a Delco Starting, Lighting, and Ignition system.  It came out of the factory with an Exide Battery.  I can get either a Delco or Exide 6-volt battery when the time comes to put the battery in place.  Delco is GM, but Exide was original equipment.  The question is which way does a person go?  I am a huge fan of authenticity.  I'm leaning toward the Exide.

Would like to hear what you guys think.

Terry Wiegand

Out Doo Dah Way

Terry,

Prior to 1924, Delco is not considered correct in Buick Club judging. Or to put it another way, a non-Delco battery in a Buick older than 1924 does not get a judging deduction---for those who care about such things. Go with the Exide battery.

Speaking of which, here's an old gas station I photographed this morning along old Rte. 66 between Tulsa and Oklahoma City, while planning the 2019 BCA national meet tours. Look at the battery logo/sign that is on the left side  of the building! Actually, it says "Willard" batteries, but weren't Willard and Exide related?

Pete

IMG_4225.JPG

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

Here is a question that I have been wondering about for some time.  I am pushing pretty hard at trying to get my 1916 D-45 ready to be back on the road.  Here is my question - The car is equipped with a Delco Starting, Lighting, and Ignition system.  It came out of the factory with an Exide Battery.  I can get either a Delco or Exide 6-volt battery when the time comes to put the battery in place.  Delco is GM, but Exide was original equipment.  The question is which way does a person go?  I am a huge fan of authenticity.  I'm leaning toward the Exide.

Would like to hear what you guys think.

Terry Wiegand

Out Doo Dah Way

Can the battery be seen, or is it hidden? 

Is the price comparable between Delco and Exide?  Are both brands readily available? 

If the battery specs are the same, those are the questions I would answer to make the choice.  

Remember, the battery is an expendable.  It will be replaced again. 

• Like 1

Since none of our batteries are seen up through 1937 and according to how cars are actually judged they are not seen. The 1938 placed the battery in the engine compartment. The only way one can actually see what is under our cars is to lay on ones back. We mainly use the down on one knee rule. Having said that I bought mine both at Family Farm Center. Most of these and many other brands are made near me by the huge DEKA Battery plant near Kutztown PA. So unless you pull up the floor boards or the seat and cover as is the case on my 1937 no one can tell. Also most of the teens and 20s batteries were wooden cased. Late 20s started the hard rubber/tar top  battery construction which were renewable by changing out the plates. Many 1920s 6 volt car batteries did double duty to power the tube filaments in family radio in the evening. Families that had the resources would buy a "TUNGAR" rectifier/battery charger to keep everything charged up. Otherwise a trip to the local Radio Shop or Garage for a charge.

Larry

Edited by dibarlaw
Added content (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I put all new soldered terminals on the battery when I restored my Jaguar.  I bought some of the original style 6 volt batteries.  A concourse restoration.  Then after several years, the acid started corroding the terminals and hold down items, and I did not want to corrode any painted surfaces around it.   I will not use lead acid again.  It's too aggressive to everything around the battery.  I like the Odyssey batteries as sold by West Coast Batteries,  Batteries Plus, Autozone, Amazon etc.   These are AGM (absorbant glass mat).  Odyssey does not sell a 6 volt, but Optima does.  If your battery does not show, I would purchase the Optima.  I also keep a Deltran electronic trickle charger on my battery when it is in the garage.  I get 10 years out of them, and they are always ready to start with full cranking power no matter how long the battery sits.  I have a small wire that I connect to in the wheel well so that I can clip the charger on easily, and no one knows it it there.    Hugh     

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

If your battery does not show, I would purchase the Optima.  I also keep a Deltran electronic trickle charger on my battery when it is in the garage.  I get 10 years out of them, and they are always ready to start with full cranking power no matter how long the battery sits.    Hugh     

My Buick and 62 VW (converted to 12 volt) both used an Optima successfully for years. 

However I switched back to conventional batteries, because in both cases the Optima's died with no warning.  A conventional battery will degrade and crank slower, hold a charge for a shorter time, etc.  The Optima's were good one day, and then they were dead.  And both times they left me in a bind, when I really needed them to start! 

The other issue is, price.  If memory serves, the Optima was at least $50 more than a conventional battery. 

• Like 1

I have a copy of an Exide battery service record card from the dealer here in Hutchinson.  I am going to have my friend at Douglas Photographic in Wichita, Kansas reproduce this after it has been all cleaned up and have several of them for our Buicks.  Thought you guys might like to see it.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

PC110128.JPG

PC110129.JPG

• Like 1