Investments.

CatBird

I recently involved in the sale of a large collection of cars. I saw classic outstanding vintage cars nestled in with simple inexpensive cars in all shapes and condition. A massive collection of over 300 cars. There seemed to be no order, no theme. I talked with the manager, Jeff who had maintained these cars for about 24 years. This was the Collection of S. Truett Cathy, Founder of Chick-fil-a.

Jeff asked  Truett why he was buying so many different cars, and Truett responded, "For Investments." That made sense to Jeff. Investments in classic cars can often bring great rewards.

But Jeff noticed that Truett had bought a car and paid much too much. Very much more than the possible value. Jeff thought he should mention this "mistake" to Truett? Maybe Truett didn't know he paid too much? But Truett had brought a small restaurant into a multi-billion dollar business and Truett had told Jeff that he was buying cars as investments and this made no sense to Jeff.

Fortunately, Jeff needed to get some paperwork from the seller and the seller mentioned that Truett had really "blessed him." He went on to say that he had cancer. He was broke and could not continue treatments until Truett bought his car giving him enough money to pay his bills and get additional treatment and he was now cancer-free.

Jeff realized that when Truett Cathy spoke about investments, he meant investments in people. The money flowed as well, but Truett Cathy's business was based on investments in people.

Think about this if you happen to be in a Chick-fil-a restaurant. It is an enjoyable place for happy employees serving an experience. People connecting with people. It pays great dividends.

Investments.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I have done the same, a friend of mine had terminal cancer, he was a very good guy and at the time I had the money to purchase his car.  I paid to much, but it was worth every dime, he was able to pay off his chemo bills before he passed and he didn't have the stress hanging over his head.   Some people consider this a business, and sometimes it is, but it's about people helping people too!  Most of the time it's a Great hobby of people helping people and you get a car out of it too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

O.K. then. Let me see if I can gently steer us back on an automotive course. There is nothing I love as much regarding cars , as going somewhere in them. My parents were the same way. Whether it was just going across Chicago to visit my sweet , generous , hard-working , widowed (Flu epidemic in late 'teens) , I.L.G.W.U. Grandmother in the mid '40s in Dad's '33 Buick ; whether going camping in Door County , Wisconsin in Dad's '39 Pontiac after the brake vacuum booster went out in the Bu' ; whether exploring all over the U.S.A. and into Canada in the brand spankin' new '50 Willys Jeep Station Wagon. Deep into Mexico in it in '54 just after the 8 to 12 devaluation. And the last adventure in the Jeep : the cross-country move to Seattle in '55 by way of Estes Park , Colorado , crossing the Continental Divide at 12,000' on Trail Ridge Road , Dinosaur National Monument when it was just a corrugated metal lean to against the quarry wall , floating in the Great Salt Lake , and up the coast after a stop to visit friends in 'Frisco. '55 Chev' station wagon followed , and Dad would let me take the wheel in the wide open spaces of Eastern Washington.

My own , and rented cars have taken me over the rest of the 'States , a fair amount of Europe , and more of Latin America than anyone I have yet met. I love driving. I live for it. I think I have spent ten years outside of the U.S. doing it. I seem to remember some interesting alternative solutions which might have some benefit for other countries which have not implemented such. Some countries use a system for automobile insurance that does not rely on one insurance company fighting another to see who pays. Such an efficient system seems to operate to the detriment of lawyers , but to the benefit of the insured. Maybe some of you can remind me how it works. I don't think it could happen here. I just can't wrap my mind around the complexities (or lack thereof) , of such a system - is that what is called no-fault ? - but really it can't happen here. I believe the automobile insurance savings were also dependent on a different health care system which eliminated a 50% parasite fee. Uh , oh ! I think I might have drifted from my point. Where was I anyway ? Automobile insurance ? In Washington State we have a government mandate to patronize private insurance providers. I don't know how other states do it , I merely assume it is similar. In many cases , here , insurance is barely , if at all , really insurance. Put a 1/2" scratch on the paint of a panel , and generate a $2000 claim to paint the panel. Might as well pay it yourself , you will end up paying about that much more when your insurance goes up. You can post bond (I think it used to be $60,000) , in lieu of insurance , but I figured I would like to save money with a $10,000 deductible. Seems logical since the vast majority of claims fall under ten grand. Couldn't find it. I knew an old retired Chubb man. Good news : He found one ! Lloyds would do it ! Bad news : It would cost MORE than a standard policy ! WHAT ?!! What the ...... ? See , that $10 k deductible would be a CUSTOM policy ! See ? Like I said : "It can't happen here !".

Maintain healthy eating and exercise routines , my friends. Get your flu shots , shingles shots , bronchitis and pneumonia shots , too. Someone told me inoculations are some kind of a gummin plot. I can't remember just how that was supposed to work. Therefore , in keeping with the totally apolitical nature of my AACA correct musings here , I will not tax my enfeebled mind to try to dredge up that particular mechanism.   I truely love you all. My life would be lonely and barren without you.   - Carl

We just got our first Chick fil a a few years ago, a franchise owned by a proud veteran I go there sometimes. I think they are closed Sunday, Veterans Day and some other holidays. I remember it being sad when hearing the founder had died. Never knew he was a car collector. It is not you typical bottom feeder fast food place.

https://hilbersinc.com/news-and-events/chick-fil-a-opens-newest-northern-california-restaurant-built-by-hilbers-inc-a-national-restaurant-general-contractor.html

Santa Rosa is the third restaurant Hilbers Inc. has completed for the Chick-fil-A chain. This one sits adjacent to Santa Rosa Jr. College. This site had an aging Burger King, which Hilbers Inc. swapped out for a great new Chick-fil-A with a great design that fits nicely into the neighborhood. Project Manager was Larry Hilbers, Vice President of Hilbers Inc., a national restaurant general contractor. Day to day was overseen by Wayne Bookamer, Supt. This restaurant is run by Owner/Operator Jason Sutton, a retired U.S. Army Special Forces enlistee, Officer and Apache helicopter pilot.