'72 at Mecum

PWB

4 hours ago, MartyWorld said:

Good morning.

Great car.

What is the sensor for between the rear seats located above the rear speaker?  It looks like a guidematic sensor.

Marty 

Actually the '72 has 6X9" speakers mounted under the rear package tray, two if stereo, not between the seats like previous years. It may look like a speaker grill because I believe someone added what looks to me like an opera light from the sail panel of a later model Riviera to the panel between the seats?

I did not even see the sensor until you mentioned it, good eye!

4 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

It is the fiber optic monitor for the tail lights.  Note the ones on the tops of the fenders as well.

I wonder if the rear monitor was a separate option from the front monitor? Mine has the chrome monitors on the front fenders but not the one in the pictures of that Riv?

Yea good question. I know the rear monitor wasn't part of the front fender monitor option. Not even in 73. Honestly I have never seen a boattail with the rear monitor. Interested to learn more about it availability factory or dealer.

Looking at the option listings on the ROA website (which we know occasionally has an omission) The rear monitors are not listed until 1974 and at that time the option includes both front and rear. Wonder if the one on this 72 was added at a later time.

Pic for posterity. Pic protected so right click and save option not available. Took pic of screen with camera so a little fuzzy

IMG_2919.jpg

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Yea good question. I know the rear monitor wasn't part of the front fender monitor option. Not even in 73. Honestly I have never seen a boattail with the rear monitor. Interested to learn more about it availability factory or dealer.

Looking at the option listings on the ROA website (which we know occasionally has an omission) The rear monitors are not listed until 1974 and at that time the option includes both front and rear. Wonder if the one on this 72 was added at a later time.

Pic for posterity. Pic protected so right click and save option not available. Took pic of screen with camera so a little fuzzy

Here is a bit clearer picture.

59d1299a24a2a_lightmonitor-2.thumb.jpg.71632a73dba5aa6470d320a0514bf2f8.jpg

I didn't look into it as you did, but I would guess added also?

What about the emblem on the plastic piece between the seats? Any ideas of what that might be?

2 hours ago, rivgs said:

The light monitor looks like it is from a 70's Eldorado convertible.

Ahh, that could explain where it came from anyway.

I wonder how tough it was to add the fiber-optics to the tail lights and route them up to get it to work?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Boatail and I tread carefully with respect noting items with any ones efforts on any Riviera,  but we are talking correct ?  Light Sockets are provisioned for fiber optics in these cars. If not you could change them. Just a matter of plugging the optic in with the proper ferrule.  Rear Monitor not a 71-73 option. Center rear Emblem, not an option.  Toranado lower Door Panels with lights. Lower Door Panels are one of the most difficult parts to  locate on a Boatail, pretty much impossible, no one makes them unless you send them off to be remolded.  Would like to see under the hood.

Edited by Tder1 (see edit history)