Puerto Rico

Steve Moskowitz

AACA has a magnificent group of car folks in Puerto Rico.  Their hospitality over they years has been off the charts and we look forward to seeing them every fall meet and looked forward to our meet in March.  Please pray for all of them as the storm that is hitting them is the "read deal" and the devastation may be monumental.  Too much disaster!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/catastrophic-category-5-maria-takes-aim-puerto-rico-virgin-islands-n802671

• Like 1

I am not saying anything at this point but everything I have heard or seen on TV this morning sounds and looks very ominous.  Our members in Puerto Rico have been in touch with me prior to today and said they would try and reach back tomorrow when the extent of damage is actually known.  AT THIS POINT nothing is canceled!  However our meet is not as important as the lives of our members and their recovery from the hurricane. 

• Like 1

It's a beautiful place with great people who are some of the strongest supporters of AACA you'll find anywhere.  We pray and hope they will be fine. 

Terry

• Like 2

I've been watching and praying (and I'm not a prayer normally) for everyone in these hurricane's path!  I can't even begin to imagine what they are going through.  I truly hope everyone is safe.  I've read there won't be power back on for close to 6 months!!! :(  

From the reports it sounds like PR lost most of their cell towers and the comm link (cable ?) to the mainland. FEMA is airlifting SatPhones in for officials but heard nothing about use for civilians. Would surprise me if there weren't some ham radio operators in touch with the US but they are probably swamped.

7 hours ago, AnniesSS said:

I've read there won't be power back on for close to 6 months!!! :(  

I think you found a good example, Annie, of how newsmen

sensationalize things:  Human nature tends to find the worst case

and play it up.  Here is what may be a more accurate account

as information comes in:

"Much of the island is expected to be without power for weeks,

with some locations said to be potentially without power

for four to six months, officials said."     [Emphasis added]

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I got a brief email reply from Luis Rodriguez and he indicated he is fine but said "the island is upside down!"  I have not tried to carry on a lengthy conversation or ask for an other details as they are probably on a limited power and internet access situation right now.  Have not heard from any other club members there yet.

Terry

• Like 1

I think it only fair that the meet be cancelled so our PR members can concentrate on getting their lives back in order and not on hosting a huge event. :(  

We were planning on going to this meet, but there just seems to be no way we can expect them to put on a brave face after all they've been through.

Another view, rather than summarily canceling the meet,

would be for the members there to see whether they can still have it.

If it's possible, what a great sense of OVERCOMING it would be,

a triumph of the indefatigable human spirit over the odds.

A real triumph!  A great accomplishment!

And if it's possible, the meet would bring some needed money back to

their local economy.

• Like 2

The meet is not cancelled nor are we putting ANY pressure on the region to make a decision at this point.  They first need to take care of their families and businesses and then decide if THEY want to put on the meet.  The meet is primarily for their benefit.  If they decide that the hotels, and grounds will not accommodate the meet at this time we will work it out for a future meet. 

With everything that is happening in PR, I would think a National Meet would be VERY low on the list of priorities.  I was hoping to go to this meet as well but if they don't have it, I totally understand.  The hurricane will affect their lives for a long time - having or not having the Meet will not.

Bob

• Like 1

I have never been to a PR meet or any others as a participant so maybe my thinking is ridiculous. This is just a thought -- instead of a meet what if everyone that was planning togo still tries to go but help a member put his life back together?  If they need help with their house or car or ??? we give them direct help. I don't know how to do this but maybe there is a way.  The people of this group (AACA across the counrty) have helped a lot of people in a lot of ways. Is there away to really help the members and people of PR directly?  Again just a thought but I will keep trying to figure out a way to do it.   

• Like 1

The post above is correct.  The devastation being reported is accurate according to our club members in PR.  It is as serious as can be with people enduring a lot of hardship.  Many are doing their best to come over to the mainland but flights are difficult as well and if anyone has seen the views of the airport they will understand.  Our meet this year is now in serious jeopardy which is small potatoes compared to the real issues this Island faces.  It's entire character may change due to the devastation and it will be years before they recover.  Our prayers and thoughts go out to everyone in PR and especially to our close friends in the region.  Hopefully, all agencies of our government will be successful in coming to the aid of all of the recent disasters.  It will be a big job but America has shown the will to rebound before and I pray we do that again. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2