The Guild..a TV show most of you will like.

Steve Moskowitz

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK2rQ5F3rHOHU_sv2bkeS6w  This is a show that has been on for a few years and MOST of what they do is restoration.  They are now going to do a web based show that will show more about how they actually build and restore cars.  They have some very talented panel beaters and have done some incredible work in the past. 

• Like 2

The Guild aka Restoration Garage is one of the better shows but then ones from Canada and the NorthEast usually are. They apparently have some clients with very deep pockets, they built a '35 Bugatti Aerolithe from scratch.

• Like 1

I have seen this show and visited their shop. Very hype and they are expensive. The unfortunate thing is I have heard from many that they are hacks. The scoop I hear is that they make it look great but the mechanical works is substandard. I didn't believe such would be the case until I saw one of their shows where the mechanic "fixed" a Caddy transmission by taking it out on the road and running through gears ( including reverse) while under power. I always wondered how far that client got after picking up that car. After seeing that I stopped watching.

Ive enjoyed watching this since I've been kinda stuck in the recliner mending by broken leg and it sure beats what some of the other shows have done.  I watched (for a short time) on another show where someone cut up a minty 62 Chevy to make some sort of low-rider thing out of. In that show one of the workers was heard commenting "this is one of the nicest original cars they've ever cut up."  That's when I switched it off.   The Guild is more about restoration.  As for the Caddy they fixed up, without knowing exactly what the customer asked for it's hard to be too tough on them.  For Mopar fans Graveyard Cars seems to have a real focus on authentic restoration also.  IMHO Chasing Classic Cars is hard to beat.  I'll be glad when I'm able to get back into my own workshop though and am so looking forward to Hershey!

Terry

The Guild is one of my favorite shows, especially enjoy watching Larry. Legendary Motorcars is another one. Peter Klutt mixes up restorations, racing, and sales nicely. I have logo baseball caps from each. Chasing Classic Cars continues to entertain me with the wide variety of vehicles Wayne locates. I have a cap from his shop too. JWL

Restoration Garage is a good show, meet both the owner and his partner at Pebble Beach last year, nice friendly down to earth people. Graveyard Carz is in a world of its own when it comes to authentic restorations and state of the art equipment. I truly enjoy that show but walk by the rows of that type of car to get to the good stuff at shows. Hope to see some nice cars Wayne brings to Lime Rock this weekend. Bob

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

I watched (for a short time) on another show where someone cut up a minty 62 Chevy to make some sort of low-rider thing out of. In that show one of the workers was heard commenting "this is one of the nicest original cars they've ever cut up."  That's when I switched it off.  

Just inexcusable. 

I remember catching a show about 20 years ago where the late presenter and actor Edward Hermann had found an old Packard and had it restored. 

What show was that? 

Anybody remember that one? 

Yeah, I've recently been watching The Guild (Restoration Garage).  I agree that it is definitely one of the better shows of this type, as they do seem to lean toward originality.  Unlike so many other shows, I don't have to worry about every second or third car featured turning out to be a Mustang or Camaro.  Most shows of this type seem to have segments of useless filler, i.e., snippets of conversation between wild-eyed zany employees sporting numerous tattoos and body piercings, making references to how bad-a** this or that ride is going to be.

From what I've seen of this show, just about everyone there seems to be of a more low-profile personality and showing respect to everyone, at least while on camera.  Also, this show seems to eschew any of the fake drama present on other shows.  You know how it goes - XX restoration facility has been working on a customer's Mustang for several months.  Finally, the time comes for the road test after a certain amount of work gets completed.  They get the car out of the shop, take off down the road, make a right turn, when we suddenly hear a loud thud or chunking sound.  The two guys in the car widen their eyes, look at each other, and say WHAT THE HE** WAS THAT?  Of course, this is the cue for one of the numerous commercial breaks.

I'm speaking only for myself, but I can't tell you how sick I get of that stuff.

Thankfully, Restoration Garage is not one of the shows that do the things I just described.  Looking forward to the series on the web. 

Edited by Dosmo (see edit history)

Bob have a great time this weekend.  Not happy I am missing the Historics again this year but such is life.

As far as this post is concerned, it was meant to inform people that the webs series is going to show how they actually do their work.  Like

the show or not they have put out some terrific work on original cars and have some very talented people working there.  Everyone screams for shows that

actually really explain the restoration process.  It just might be interesting to check it out.  The new series is not normal TV!