Buick steering wheel sizes

25 Buick

I am restoring the only wooden wheel I have and it fits the wheel that goes onto the smaller diameter coloumn. A standard.

My master wheel is the Wooden spoke type allthough broken and I prefer the aluminium style for looks. So I have a larger diameter coloum with aluminium wheel but has round flat ends with two holes for mounting. 

Is the standard wheel diameter smaller than the master diameter.

anyone have photos of how there master wheels are mounted.

i am thinking to use the aluminium wheel with the wooden outer wheel I have and make them fit. Just unsure if the wooden wheel is too small for the larger 33inch diameter tyres to turn.

bit of a hard way to explain but I will get some photos asap to assist

Standard steering wheels are smaller than Master models.there are 2 different steering wheels on 1925 Master too,Model 51-54-54C and 55  are the same type,even the parts in the "center"of the steering wheel is "bigger"on Master models.

Leif in Sweden.

• Like 1

Master steering wheel hub is approx 3-1/8" outside diameter, and Standard wheel hub is approx 2-7/8" outside diameter.  The spark and throttle levers plus the horn button cover plate diameters match the hub.

The original steering wheel on my 1925-45 had 2 broken spokes, and  I found another wheel on e-bay to replace it.  The broken wheel hub had a 1- 1/8" bore, the replacement wheel hub was 1", which I will have to ream out to fit.   1924-1925 wheel spokes have  2 holes thru the ends, and wood screws fasten the spoke to wood rim. 1926 spoke ends are threaded and a machine screw goes thru the wood rim into the spoke end.

below photo is the broken wheel from my 25-45 with the replacement wheel.

Kevin

steering wheel 1.jpg

Buick Steering Wheel Center Control Spark Throttle Lever Cover-1.png

The 1927 Shop Manual reprint describes 114 1/2" wheelbase has a wheel of 17 1/2" diameter, the 120 and 128" cars have a wheel diameter of 18".

Both use a 1" steering tube, but the column jacket for short wheelbase cars is 1 1/2" painted black, the longer wheelbase cars the jacket is nickled 1 3/4".

Just another example of how many parts were originally not interchangeable between small and large series cars.

27 donb thanks. If the wheel is only 1/2 inch difference in diameter I will use on my master wheel. I have the one with wood spokes however one spoke broken at the casting and I'm not a fan of the look. And my other master wheel has the two holes as pictured above. Do they recess into the wheel from underneath?

The wooden wheel from a standard with single screw. MIMG_2749.thumb.JPG.edd782b99d604311efbc674caad2fc89.JPGIMG_2748.thumb.JPG.97abd81e54453d767051b90a9d3339f9.JPGIMG_2746.thumb.JPG.bb5882e1d2a62235bc7ae9e50a5707e2.JPGIMG_2747.thumb.JPG.d2706990dc0f8d742b3eb9af7abf2ba0.JPGy master wood spoke wheel that's broken, also interested in why the coloum mount is different on it. And the master coloumn and alloy wheel I will be adapting to fit. Anyone with a picture of how the two screw type wheels attach to the timber will be great, otherwise I will recess into the timber to make it all flush. Wheel is glued up now needs sanding filling and finishing, unless someone has a master wheel to swap? 

I recall seeing a photo of the steering wheel spoke ends recessed and covered over with a thin chip of wood to cover the end and screws.

I had some difficulty removing the wheel from the steering tube due to the tapered shape of the hub.  I finally made a wood backer that fit tightly around the column, and used the shop press to remove it. I had to lift the press up to get enough clearance below the table to fit the entire column.  It required quite a lot of force to break loose, and when it finally did, it let go with a loud bang.    photo below of the wheel backer , made from stacked wood pieces, bolted together.

Kevin

wheel backer.jpg

• Like 1

Well after offering my wooden wheel up to a 27 standard centre it's about a half inch gap all around bigger. Soo I guess I do have a master wheel after all. But is attached like a standard with screw from the inside. I will recess the master alloy wheel I have because glueing in cover bits of timber and dowels seem to much work for me.