65 Wheel cover questions

Guest Mr Jones

Guest Mr Jones

I have three questions about wheel covers.

Firstly, for cleaning etc. can these wheel covers be removed the same as normal hubcaps or is there something else I need to do.  I figure risking asking a dumb question is better than causing damage.

Secondly, I am unable to locate the original wheel covers that came with the car when it was imported into Australia.  A previous owner has been trying to assist with this but no luck so far.  I am not sure  exactly what I am looking for if I should try to find replacements.

Lastly, were the Rally wheels a factory option in 1965?

Thank you

Wire Wheel.jpg

Edited by Mr Jones
spelling (see edit history)

Yes, these can be removed by prying them off as a normal hubcap. Carefully, as they do grip the wheel pretty good.

This would be the "original" wheel cover if no optional cover was ordered.

599a1ff74cf09_65hubcap.thumb.jpg.242089f1678b731f81023d4601649ce5.jpg

Yes, the rally wheels were available on the '65 Riviera. They have a different color web than the black you see every day, but they were available.

By the way, the wheel cover you picture above has the center medallion that would have been on a '63, would need to see the back side to know which wheel cover it actually is, but the medallion is definitely for a '63. You can search the forum and find lots of info about the wire wheel covers too.

The wire wheel covers are definitely 63's with that spinner  and easily disassembled by 4 screws holding the spinner  and 8 screws holding the spokes . All pieces can then be easily cleaned and polished . Biggest problem is dents in the rim which are quite frequent unfortunately and difficult to fix. .

As mentioned above by Randall this is a 63 wheel . One thing I am unsure of is whether tri-shield  was multicolored in the Riviera and plain stainless in the Wildcat of that year ?? Maybe others could clarify . 

KReed

ROA 14549

The wheel cover pictured in post #1 is correct for a 63 Riviera. It is unique in the world of Buick wire wheel covers. If it would have been from one of the other large model Buicks, it would have the red/white/blue trishield on a black background center cap.  Starting in 64, Riviera wire wheel covers had a large silver R on a black background.   Others models would have had the same cover as the 63 - red/white/blue trishield on black.

Some time back there was a big discussion about these covers.  When laid flat, some covers are taller than others.  Some have a six / three screw arrangement on the back whereas others have the eight / four screws arrangement. 

We're any conclusions ever drawn from that discussion? It's probably time to go back and re-read it.

Ed

Guest Mr Jones
7 hours ago, Rivman said:

Yes, these can be removed by prying them off as a normal hubcap. Carefully, as they do grip the wheel pretty good.

This would be the "original" wheel cover if no optional cover was ordered.

599a1ff74cf09_65hubcap.thumb.jpg.242089f1678b731f81023d4601649ce5.jpg

Yes, the rally wheels were available on the '65 Riviera. They have a different color web than the black you see every day, but they were available.

By the way, the wheel cover you picture above has the center medallion that would have been on a '63, would need to see the back side to know which wheel cover it actually is, but the medallion is definitely for a '63. You can search the forum and find lots of info about the wire wheel covers too.

Thank you Randall - I must be on the lookout for a set of the stock ones, even though I prefer the look of the 63 covers.

Guest Mr Jones
3 hours ago, kreed said:

The wire wheel covers are definitely 63's with that spinner  and easily disassembled by 4 screws holding the spinner  and 8 screws holding the spokes . All pieces can then be easily cleaned and polished . Biggest problem is dents in the rim which are quite frequent unfortunately and difficult to fix. .

As mentioned above by Randall this is a 63 wheel . One thing I am unsure of is whether tri-shield  was multicolored in the Riviera and plain stainless in the Wildcat of that year ?? Maybe others could clarify . 

KReed

ROA 14549

Thank you for this information.  I think I know what I will be doing this Saturday!

Guest Mr Jones
3 hours ago, RivNut said:

The wheel cover pictured in post #1 is correct for a 63 Riviera. It is unique in the world of Buick wire wheel covers. If it would have been from one of the other large model Buicks, it would have the red/white/blue trishield on a black background center cap.  Starting in 64, Riviera wire wheel covers had a large silver R on a black background.   Others models would have had the same cover as the 63 - red/white/blue trishield on black.

Some time back there was a big discussion about these covers.  When laid flat, some covers are taller than others.  Some have a six / three screw arrangement on the back whereas others have the eight / four screws arrangement. 

We're any conclusions ever drawn from that discussion? It's probably time to go back and re-read it.

Ed

Thank you Ed

I'll have a look to see if I can find that thread.

Meanwhile, the covers I do have are quite easy on the eyes.

8 hours ago, RivNut said:

Ed

Here are some of the conclusions that I and Tom Mooney have come up with/discovered while he was helping me locate covers for my car.

1.) The 6/3 bolt pattern was only used on the 1963 wheel covers. Some contend that the 6/3 bolt pattern was the only one used on the 1963. Others contend that the 4/8 pattern was introduced later in the 1963 production year and/or was the style of cover that you would get if you purchased covers through the dealer.

2.) The 6/3 cover sticks out further/are taller than the 4/8 cover. Picture attached. The cover on the left is a 6/3 cover and the one on the right is a 4/8 cover. The parts from a 6/3 bolt pattern wheel cover do not interchange with the 4/8 pattern covers. Maybe some of the spokes? The center medallion can be interchanged with some modification. To use the 6/3 medallion in a 4/8 cover you will need to add a rubber backing so that the medallion will be held tight in the spinner and won't rattle. I have done this with one of the center medallions I used on my car. To use a 4/8 medallion in the 6/3 cover you need to grind off the locating tab on the edge and remove the thick rubber backing.

3.) Some of the red/white/blue covers are the exact same cover as the Riviera 4/8 cover. You just have to swap out the center medallion with the correct one. Be careful when buying the R/W/B covers. While the correct 15" diameter they are not the same height. See the picture with the level in it. The cover on the left is a 4/8 Riviera cover and the one right is an NOS R/W/B cover. I am thinking that only certain years of the R/W/B covers are the correct style for our Rivs?

Bill

Wheel Covers 002.JPG

NOS Wheel Cover 003.JPG

• Like 1

Guest Mr Jones
10 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Here are some of the conclusions that I and Tom Mooney have come up with/discovered while he was helping me locate covers for my car.

1.) The 6/3 bolt pattern was only used on the 1963 wheel covers. Some contend that the 6/3 bolt pattern was the only one used on the 1963. Others contend that the 4/8 pattern was introduced later in the 1963 production year and/or was the style of cover that you would get if you purchased covers through the dealer.

2.) The 6/3 cover sticks out further/are taller than the 4/8 cover. Picture attached. The cover on the left is a 6/3 cover and the one on the right is a 4/8 cover. The parts from a 6/3 bolt pattern wheel cover do not interchange with the 4/8 pattern covers. Maybe some of the spokes? The center medallion can be interchanged with some modification. To use the 6/3 medallion in a 4/8 cover you will need to add a rubber backing so that the medallion will be held tight in the spinner and won't rattle. I have done this with one of the center medallions I used on my car. To use a 4/8 medallion in the 6/3 cover you need to grind off the locating tab on the edge and remove the thick rubber backing.

3.) Some of the red/white/blue covers are the exact same cover as the Riviera 4/8 cover. You just have to swap out the center medallion with the correct one. Be careful when buying the R/W/B covers. While the correct 15" diameter they are not the same height. See the picture with the level in it. The cover on the left is a 4/8 Riviera cover and the one right is an NOS R/W/B cover. I am thinking that only certain years of the R/W/B covers are the correct style for our Rivs?

Bill

Wheel Covers 002.JPG

NOS Wheel Cover 003.JPG

This is quite interesting

I will take a photo of one of mine when I get it off to see how it compares.

18 hours ago, Mr Jones said:

Thank you Randall - I must be on the lookout for a set of the stock ones, even though I prefer the look of the 63 covers.

The wire wheel covers were available in 1965 as well as 1963 (and 1964). It very well could be that your car was equipped with wire wheel covers at one time. If you like that look you could keep it and it would be correct for your car. As Randall mentioned the center medallion is different on the 1963 wire wheel covers than from the 1964 and 1965 covers. The 1964 and 1965 covers would have the R center medallion as I have pictured here. Even if all of your wire wheel covers were the 6/3 pattern you could still get the R center medallions and make it work as they still have the 3 notches on the back that the 6/3 covers used to hold them in place. You would just have to remove the square rubber pad on the back and possibly grind off the locator tab first. If your covers are the 4/8 pattern then it is just an easy swap of one center medallion for the other. 

Bill

64 Riviera Wheel Cover 001.JPG

Riviera Convention 2015 023.JPG

GM used similar wire wheel covers on other cars, Chevy started in 1964, the spinner went away in 1967.  Olds, Buick and Pontiac all used similar wire wheel covers

I suspect the spokes and chrome center behind the spokes is a common part.

That basic wire wheel design was available in 13" for Corvair and Nova, 14" and later 15"

I have a pretty good supply of parts for the Chevy 13 and 14 inch cap

Guest Mr Jones
On 22/08/2017 at 11:35 AM, Riviera63 said:

The wire wheel covers were available in 1965 as well as 1963 (and 1964). It very well could be that your car was equipped with wire wheel covers at one time. If you like that look you could keep it and it would be correct for your car. As Randall mentioned the center medallion is different on the 1963 wire wheel covers than from the 1964 and 1965 covers. The 1964 and 1965 covers would have the R center medallion as I have pictured here. Even if all of your wire wheel covers were the 6/3 pattern you could still get the R center medallions and make it work as they still have the 3 notches on the back that the 6/3 covers used to hold them in place. You would just have to remove the square rubber pad on the back and possibly grind off the locator tab first. If your covers are the 4/8 pattern then it is just an easy swap of one center medallion for the other. 

Bill

64 Riviera Wheel Cover 001.JPG

Riviera Convention 2015 023.JPG

Thank you for this suggestion.  I very much like the look of my wheels now, as does my wife so it is good to know there are options for getting closer to authenticity.

Guest Mr Jones

I think I may have located the original wheel covers, though it might be a while before they come out of storage as the previous owner waits for his apartment build to be completed.

OK Ed: Because the post was related I took the licence to add the reason, or theory, why the 63 wire cap was different. Now.....that said I will renew my licence and add this little fact.

When re assembling 63 wire caps keep a few road map signals in mind.

1.  Looking at the cap dead on, the spinner rests horizontally over the valve stem hole at 6 'o clock.

2.  Looking at the reverse side of the circular chrome base their is an arrow which should point to 12:00. Please wear your reading glasses for this as it's sometimes hard to find.

3. Placing the base in that position saves countless energy and time aligning the assembly and makes the job a breeze.

I have taken apart hundreds of these caps and reassembled them. That's how I know.    

To Barney, the 14 Buick wire cap shares only the spinner to the 4 hole spinner 15" wire. The base is almost identical to other 14" GMz of the period. Impala guys found this out and when the Chev 3 bar spinner was repopped they made a mad dash for these 14" GM wires. A lotta bling for not a lotta scratch.

Mitch

Edited by lrlforfun (see edit history)

On 8/20/2017 at 11:51 PM, RivNut said:

Ed

Ed, Gene told me you can absolutely determine if the cover is a 63 if three (3) screws hold the spinner on. If is a 64 wheel cover four (4) screws hold the spinner on the cover. Can you confirm?

5 minutes ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Ed, Gene told me you can absolutely determine if the cover is a 63 if three (3) screws hold the spinner on. If is a 64 wheel cover four (4) screws hold the spinner on the cover. Can you confirm?

Nope,  there was a rather lengthy discussion about this and the height of the covers on a previous thread and I don't recall if there was a conclusion or not.  Someone recently replied with a condensed version.  There was a lot of speculation, but nothing cast in stone.  Gene may be, and probably is, correct, but I'm not one to challenge or confirm. As far as I can remember, Gene did not take part in the original thread.  If so, a conclusion might have been drawn.  Just go with what he's told you. No one will be prying wheel covers off of a car to determine if they the 3/6 or 4/8 assembly pattern.  Gene has seen more Rivieras than the rest of us put together so you can probably trust him.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Nope,  there was a rather lengthy discussion about this and the height of the covers on a previous thread and I don't recall if there was a conclusion or not.  Someone recently replied with a condensed version.  There was a lot of speculation, but nothing cast in stone.  Gene may be, and probably is, correct, but I'm not one to challenge or confirm. As far as I can remember, Gene did not take part in the original thread.  If so, a conclusion might have been drawn.  Just go with what he's told you. No one will be prying wheel covers off of a car to determine if they the 3/6 or 4/8 assembly pattern.  Gene has seen more Rivieras than the rest of us put together so you can probably trust him.

Ed, appreciate your thoughtful input. I'm learning where to draw the line on minutia. However, what might be insignificant to one is of paramount consideration to another. 

RRB

Just make sure that a 63 has the silver on black trishield and the 64 and later cars have the silver R on the center cap.  

Cars at ROA events are peer judged.  You wouldn't believe the number of 63 and 64 Rivieras that show up sporting 65 and later Buick rally wheels and the owners register them as "stock".  AND because the events are peer judged, those cars get votes.  

Don't  sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.  Very few folks know the differences.  

Ed

PS-  I know of one Riviera that has the highest award that the BCA gives and I know of at least three different things on that car that are not stock / aftermarket.  The BCA judges haven't caught any of them yet, but the car is still driven away yearly with that Senior Gold, or whatever that award is.  Sometimes you CAN fool all of the people all of the time.  Even the so called experts. 

And, DO NOT ask whose car and what's not stock.  I won't reply. ?

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Just make sure that a 63 has the silver on black trishield and the 64 and later cars have the silver R on the center cap.  

Cars at ROA events are peer judged.  You wouldn't believe the number of 63 and 64 Rivieras that show up sporting 65 and later Buick rally wheels and the owners register them as "stock".  AND because the events are peer judged, those cars get votes.  

Don't  sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.  Very few folks know the differences.  

Ed

PS-  I know of one Riviera that has the highest award that the BCA gives and I know of at least three different things on that car that are not stock / aftermarket.  The BCA judges haven't caught any of them yet, but the car is still driven away yearly with that Senior Gold, or whatever that award is.  Sometimes you CAN fool all of the people all of the time.  Even the so called experts. 

And, DO NOT ask whose car and what's not stock.  I won't reply. ?

The gold award is given for cars scoring 385-400 points in the 400 point judging. The Senior Gold is awarded for cars scoring 390-400 points in the 400 point judging AND not having any mandatory point deductions. An example of of a mandatory deduction is the deduction for not having bias ply tires. It is possible to have points deducted and still win those respective awards. I don't know what the situation is with this car. It may be that the judges just missed some things but, it would seem unlikely that they would be missed several years in a row. It could be that there were deductions for various things and yet still amassed enough points to get the award. You don't know unless you request a copy of the judge's scoring sheet.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Riviera63 said:

The gold award is given for cars scoring 385-400 points in the 400 point judging. The Senior Gold is awarded for cars scoring 390-400 points in the 400 point judging AND not having any mandatory point deductions. An example of of a mandatory deduction is the deduction for not having bias ply tires. It is possible to have points deducted and still win those respective awards. I don't know what the situation is with this car. It may be that the judges just missed some things but, it would seem unlikely that they would be missed several years in a row. It could be that there were deductions for various things and yet still amassed enough points to get the award. You don't know unless you request a copy of the judge's scoring sheet.

The owner of the car and I are very good friends. He's assured me that he has never received deductions for these three items before. One is blatantly obvious, but no judge has yet to pick up on it.  He requests a copy of the judging sheet e ery time he has it judged. Brings a smile to my buddies face every year. ?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RivNut said:

The owner of the car and I are very good friends. He's assured me that he has never received deductions for these three items before. One is blatantly obvious, but no judge has yet to pick up on it.  He requests a copy of the judging sheet e ery time he has it judged. Brings a smile to my buddies face every year. ?

We probably should quit talking about it then. My lips are sealed. It would be a shame to ruin it for him at this stage of the game. 

On 8/26/2017 at 6:15 PM, lrlforfun said:

OK Ed: Because the post was related I took the licence to add the reason, or theory, why the 63 wire cap was different. Now.....that said I will renew my licence and add this little fact.

When re assembling 63 wire caps keep a few road map signals in mind.

1.  Looking at the cap dead on, the spinner rests horizontally over the valve stem hole at 6 'o clock.

2.  Looking at the reverse side of the circular chrome base their is an arrow which should point to 12:00. Please wear your reading glasses for this as it's sometimes hard to find.

3. Placing the base in that position saves countless energy and time aligning the assembly and makes the job a breeze.

I have taken apart hundreds of these caps and reassembled them. That's how I know.    

To Barney, the 14 Buick wire cap shares only the spinner to the 4 hole spinner 15" wire. The base is almost identical to other 14" GMz of the period. Impala guys found this out and when the Chev 3 bar spinner was repopped they made a mad dash for these 14" GM wires. A lotta bling for not a lotta scratch.

Mitch

Mr.Mitch, thank you for this little gold nugget of information. I've taken two of my 1963 wire wheel covers apart to clean them. I would be embarrassed to tell you how many hours I have in trying to uncover the mystery of how to easily get the spinner to mount on the wheel. Your explanation has been printed out and saved for my next try of reassemble after cleaning. After awhile I was humored about why I couldn't get things lined up and get the spinner cap on.?

Thank you very much

Red Riviera Bob