New here- 1st Post: what is it

Guest tenalquot

I read sidedraft carb on the right side of engine and this exhaust crossover the top was called "stove top heater." ???

And then newer engine was changed to updraft carb on the left exhaust side, with that serpentine type manifold for heating the intake. One of those was pictured earlier in this thread.

20160628_105122.thumb.jpg.0f0499df5fced1

But I think this detail around the top edge of the tub is most telling. Like Grandpa pointed out. Looks to be a match to me.

The '17 motor in post #81 differs from the '18 motor in post #83. For example,  the distributor has swapped sides.

The '17 motor looks like a good match. Note the unusual shape of the end exhaust flanges on the cylinder head in the original pic match the '17 motor. Same cylinder head stud number and wider spacing in the middle. I also brightened up the original exhaust side pic and the sheetmetal side doors seem a match as well. I'd call the mystery engine a match for the '17 Chalmers, too.

My guess is a carb mounts at the bottom of the preheater pipe on the '17 motor with a manifold feeding the motor. Also, think the '18 motor may have the intake system moved to the same side as the exhaust; can't really see any intake stuff on the right side of the '18 motor, even after enlarging and tweaking. Just looks like a row of core/freeze plugs.

1 hour ago, Curti said:

I have but one thing to say. You guys are good. REALLY GOOD !    I hope that old 17 Chalmers has some parts someone can use.

Hmmm....I cannot help but wonder... Since that relic is being documented as part of a national park, would the govt allow anyone to buy or salvage parts from it? I would HOPE so, if said parts were very rare and much-needed to get an old car running again. I could see why they might not want to give up old car parts which were very common, and had been in a park or other historical setting for a long time, though. 

• Like 1

Guest tenalquot

All,

Thanks for taking the time to share your expertise!   Following this discussion was fascinating- I learned a lot and look forward to sharing more pics of other vehicles we find.  

To clarify a couple points- my username is tenalquot, but the vehicle is located in Eastern WA on State-owned land.  I'm a backyard mechanic myself, so I sympathize with the desire to rescue the parts,  but the car is an artifact within a historic homestead site, so parts salvage is not allowed under current federal and state preservation laws. However, we will include the information you uncovered in the official report, (crediting this forum of course!) so it will be available for future study.  

Have a great day!  -Ed