1916 Buick D45 Touring

Steve Brown 1811

Looking for a Buick D45 touring car to look at.
My wife's grandmother and family made a trip from Washington D.C. to Calais, Maine in one in 1916 and we are trying to get a sense of what it would have been like.
We just completed a recreation of the trip (in a modern car), stopping at various car museums along the way, but no one had a Buick of the right vintage. Somewhat surprising considering they mad over 70,000 of them if the internet is to be believed.
Anyway, if anyone can direct us to one, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Steve,

They are out there.  The D45 is a good running and dependable car after the "kinks" are worked out.  Many of them sit for a long time and it takes time to sort out the issues. .....and I am not talking a few days or months.  Sometimes it is YEARS and a bunch of money.  Lots of things can go bad over 100 years of sitting and use.

As long as you wait to get one in condition that is comparable to you mechanical skills and pocket book, it will come along.  Usually at a time you least expect. 

You might also want to post this is the buy/sell section in the Buick group and the general buy/sell to get a better look at what you want. 

Where are you located?  That makes a big difference in availability to your search.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

I just purchased a 1917 /d/45.  It is an unrestored car.  I hope to have it ready to show at Hershey in October,  The 1917 is very similar to the 1916.  You are welcome to come and look at my car and hopefully you could get a ride in September.  I live near Winchester Va which is probably a 3 hour drive for you.  Let me know if you are interested.  I can send photos, and contact information.  I like to share my cars with everyone, especially children.  They love to ride in the rumble seat of my model A Ford coupe.

Cars of the teens vintage are pretty much cruisers at 35 MPH.  much above that speed can be damaging to the engine.  there are lots of lubrication points that need attention every 100 miles.  The brakes are mechanical rear only.  There are no shocks on the car.  No brake lights, no turn signals.  They have great torque so they can pull hills quite well.  

The instruction manual for the 1917 cars is very entertaining reading and would give you a good idea of  what it would be like to drive one of them.  Reproduction copies are available for a nominal cost.

Let me know if you  are still interested.

Bob Engle 

Steve :

There is a 1916 D45 that has been in the same family since new. The current family member /owner is Larry Beatty in Iowa. I can send his contact information if you wish. He has a complete photographic record of the first generation's drive to (I believe) California. It was at the BCA national meets in Springfield MO. in 2015. The BCA 50th anniversary at Allentown PA. 2016. and at the 2017 Brookfield WI. Buick nationals in July.

A wonderful time capsule!!!!

DSCF4299.thumb.JPG.db2cf93beff3b9ce6140a6473c695bf6.JPG

DSCF4301.thumb.JPG.5a0d1be0165323e390b23c332484872e.JPG

DSCF4306.thumb.JPG.d2da33ba33e698f5f9f30bdafd88169e.JPGDSCF4307.thumb.JPG.5e5cbbec8187d37ce2a4485a05e8ebe0.JPG

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)

I have personally seen Bob Engles car and it is a very nice vehicle.  When he gets the "kinks" out it will be an outstanding driver.  Again, like I said earlier, cars that sit for some time have things that go wrong and need attention.

That is where the fun is in owning these old cars/trucks.

Guest Charlie Dill

I have a 1917 D35.   I'm by no means an expert, but believe that this car is nearly identical other than 4 cylinder engine vs. 6 on the D45.

Photo below is in my garage next to a Model T (mash up of several years).  

The Model T Touring is 3 door (driver slides over from passenger side) because there's not much space between the wheel and the front seat.   The Buick has what I've been told is called a "Fat Man" steering wheel.  In the photo it's in it's raised position.  Then just slides down to a more normal state once the driver is seated.  

IMG_7267.JPG

IMG_7268.JPG

I am sure everyone including myself just LOVES that "fat man" steering wheel , Charlie ! I wish Cadillac had continued them a little longer so my '24 Touring could have had one. 

Larry , now that I have become a Buick man with my '30 Doc's Coupe , I better bone up on Buick lore. How did the light 4 cyl Buicks do against the Model T ? What pros and cons ?   - Carl

Wow, thank you all for all the good information and interesting photos!  Sounds like you are all enjoying these pre-war cars.  My earliest car is only a '47 (a Renault 4CV).

Bob Engle:  We would ;love to take you up on your offer to come visit you and your car.  My wife has wanted to revisit Winchester ever since we passed through last year on our way back from a long weekend in Western Maryland.  Sounds like September would be best, since I'm due to go out of town for the rest of this month and much of September. We will share with you our photos and text from 1916 of this trip from DC to Maine.  We even have the notebook where my wife's grandfather recorded the price and serial number of his D45 (and his subsequent '22 and '37 Buicks).

Anyway, I can be reached by email at sbrown@codesigninc.com.  Look forward to setting this up.

• 11 months later...
On 8/7/2017 at 9:07 PM, Bob Engle said:

I just purchased a 1917 /d/45.  It is an unrestored car.  I hope to have it ready to show at Hershey in October,  The 1917 is very similar to the 1916.  You are welcome to come and look at my car and hopefully you could get a ride in September.  I live near Winchester Va which is probably a 3 hour drive for you.  Let me know if you are interested.  I can send photos, and contact information.  I like to share my cars with everyone, especially children.  They love to ride in the rumble seat of my model A Ford coupe.

Cars of the teens vintage are pretty much cruisers at 35 MPH.  much above that speed can be damaging to the engine.  there are lots of lubrication points that need attention every 100 miles.  The brakes are mechanical rear only.  There are no shocks on the car.  No brake lights, no turn signals.  They have great torque so they can pull hills quite well.  

The instruction manual for the 1917 cars is very entertaining reading and would give you a good idea of  what it would be like to drive one of them.  Reproduction copies are available for a nominal cost.

Let me know if you  are still interested.

Bob Engle 

I don't know if you'd like an ignition/light switch that is New Old Stock with keys, for your car. Just listed it on ebay. I have another one in regular condition for a lot less money.

I think this fits 1916, 1917 and 1918 6 cylinder Buicks, don't know about other GM cars, it says DELCO but doesn't say BUICK

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Combination-light-ignition-switch-1916-1917-1918-Buick-6-cylinder-models/192616457179

The first 2 photos are D 4 cyl.  The first is from a wiring diagram and the second  which shows the back of the switch is from the parts book .  The front is not shown.    

I have to send another post with the 1917 & 918  (E)  6 cyl.  and the E 4 cyl  I am only allowed these 2 photos on this post.

IMG_9799.JPG

IMG_9798.JPG