63 Riviera AC vent doors opening and closing

Turbinator

40 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Just ask Google on your smart phone.  (Fractions have less numbers to deal with than decimals.  1.8 in your head?  it's easier to multiply by nine and divide by five.)

Ed, ask me. You must be scanning my message. Please let me try again. Multiply 2 times Celcius add 30 equals F. No decimal, no fractions the best conversion formula for feet on the street or butt in the driver seat. No joke.

Turbinator

1 hour ago, KongaMan said:

Buy a Fahrenheit gauge.

Like this one? The Celcius gauge was on sale and measurably less expensive than the Fahrenheit gauge attached. I took the 52 mm diameter gauge and little by little I got it to fit in the 63 Riv ashtray. I can fold the ashtray cover down and no one can see the gauge. By the time the idiot light comes on it is too late, at least it is too late for me. So, I bought the gauge and know now how to conver C to F fast. ( I can square two digit numbers in my head without pencil and paper)

Turbinator

28559002-1862-41E4-BE7E-75917E1B2369.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Ed, ask me. You must be scanning my message. Please let me try again. Multiply 2 times Celcius add 30 equals F. No decimal, no fractions the best conversion formula for feet on the street or butt in the driver seat. No joke.

Turbinator

I got that but my calculations but an average body temperature at 104°. That's not close enough. 😁  That means your time is short. 

When I bought my '63, there was a cluster of instruments in the ash tray opening. Five in all.  The typical oil pressure, water temperature, ammeter (not a volt meter), a tach and a vacuum gauge.  The five gauges had their own illumination, and the illumination had it's own switch. 

A positive post on the battery on the fender side* shorted out and blew the ammeter. I couldn't find another to match so I pulled themall and put the ash tray back in.  

Ed

*The reason that I point this out to folks every time I see it.

9 hours ago, KongaMan said:

You only need to know one spot on the gauge: too hot.  It doesn't really matter if it's marked as 240º, 115º, or just a red line.  Any gauge will let you know how close it is and when it's got there.

Mr. Konga Man, I read what you are writing, but I do not understand what you are trying to communicate.

The purpose of an analog gauge for me is I want to see if the there is a change in water temp or oil pressure from the norm. Another reason is I want the analog gauge as opposed to the commonly known “ idiot light”. For me when the idiot light comes on during normal driving the idiot light tells me it is too late.

Some people have a better understanding of certain things. I can accurately hear and I identify music intervals and then play the intervals on an instrument. 
When I see steam rolling out from under the hood I know something is too hot. With the gauge climbing out of normal operating range I can stop the car, raise the hood and see what’s up. Thank you for your observations and feedback.

Turbinator

9 hours ago, RivNut said:

When I bought my '63, there was a cluster of instruments in the ash tray opening. Five in all.  The typical oil pressure, water temperature, ammeter (not a volt meter), a tach and a vacuum gauge.  The five gauges had their own illumination, and the illumination had it's own switch. 

A positive post on the battery on the fender side* shorted out and blew the ammeter. I couldn't find another to match so I pulled themall and put the ash tray back in.  

Ed

*The reason that I point this out to folks every time I see it.

Ed, don’t zRiviera owners place the positive post on the battery closest to the radiator? Are you saying one of the gauges would tell you the battery is in the incorrect placement?

I think you are pulling my leg about something.

Turbinator

10 hours ago, RivNut said:

I got that but my calculations but an average body temperature at 104°. That's not close enough. 😁  That means your time is short. 

Ed, you’ve got to give me some more information to understand what you are writing. Did you take your body temp with a Celsius thermometer and do the calculation? Your thermometer is off and it is you running the fever. Put your eyeglasses on and try again.
Turbinator.

13 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Multiply 2 times Celcius add 30 equals F. No decimal, no fractions the best conversion formula for feet on the street or butt in the driver seat. No joke.

Sometimes close enough, but if you move to Canada, sometimes the math is even easier...

-40C = -40F

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, MikeJS said:

Sometimes close enough, but if you move to Canada, sometimes the math is even easier...

-40C = -40F

Correct, well done. No need to prove. I always wondered any number to the zero power is one. Then why is zero to the zero power not one? Simple, undefined. Math is very hard for me, but I did ok with plane & solid Geometry and Trig. Helps with circles and stuff.

Thanks for the tip that was fun.

Turbinator

3 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Ed, don’t zRiviera owners place the positive post on the battery closest to the radiator? Are you saying one of the gauges would tell you the battery is in the incorrect placement?

I think you are pulling my leg about something.

Turbinator

It was the original owner who placed the battery that way.  I happened to be the victim.

1 minute ago, RivNut said:

It was the original owner who placed the battery that way.  I happened to be the victim.

Ed, I figured as much. Not much slides by you on zRiviera matters. No joke, but how in the world did someone have 5 gauges in the ashtray? You are pulling my leg?

It is working.

Turbinator

You guys are hilarious....

Why is there only one Monopolies commission.....

I read this morning that one of the first signs of the COVID-19 virus is a lack of taste.....I must have had it for years then

judging by many of my ex's....

On a more serious note....The temp gauge I bought I wanted to hide and not spoil the look of the dash, hence put it in the glovebox

but then stupid unless you drive around with the door open. The one I got allows you to adjust the colour of the display to match the instrument lighting

which is nice, but also allows you to set a point that if it ever reaches sounds an alarm.....which would then be the time to open the said door and monitor.

thus you only have to set that point once irrespective if F or C . Mine never goes above 86 deg C thus I have it set at 92 , so about 198 F

Best

Dave

3 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Ed, you’ve got to give me some more information to understand what you are writing. Did you take your body temp with a Celsius thermometer and do the calculation? Your thermometer is off and it is you running the fever. Put your eyeglasses on and try again.
Turbinator.

Nope, just using a known fact that in Celsius (AKA centigrade) that the human body temp is 37° C. 

37 x 2 = 74.  74 + 30 = 104.  If my temperature is 104, I'll be lucky to get to the doctor.  I'm not one for dealing in generalities. 😎

2 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Ed, I figured as much. Not much slides by you on zRiviera matters. No joke, but how in the world did someone have 5 gauges in the ashtray? You are pulling my leg?

It is working.

Turbinator

I can send you a picture if you won't believe me. 

16 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Correct, well done. No need to prove. I always wondered any number to the zero power is one. Then why is zero to the zero power not one? Simple, undefined. Math is very hard for me, but I did ok with plane & solid Geometry and Trig. Helps with circles and stuff.

Thanks for the tip that was fun.

Turbinator

Used to teach the 'multiplicative inverse' in 7th grade algebra.  Any number to the zero power is 1.

It can be proven, but my skills trying to show math examples on a tablet don't work.

The easiest way to prove it is with division and as you stated division by zero is undefined.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

43 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Ed, to use a quote you use from Mr Ed, “ with no pictures it did not happen.”

Turbinator

picsoritdidnt.jpg.31155c867badd339c9a69840b887b294.jpg

20200418_101625.thumb.jpg.dc11aceccb6d89dc7d91b739e019a8c9.jpg

The green Frog tape represents the glove box opening. The small green strip points to where the light switch was located.

20200418_101721.thumb.jpg.939b801ceacd5234d749ba086ab55e67.jpg

Not an electrical oil pressure gauge, an oil line to an oil passage.  You can see the brackets for push in bulb sockets.

19 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I know what I am thinking can't be posted.

BTW, did the previous owner of that five gauge unit go blind? Just remembering an old warning I heard.

Bernie

Bernie, the gauges had to be the size of a 25 cent piece! How could anyone read the gauges?

Turbinator

You guys are just envious that some of us still have good eyesight in our waning years.  Those are your typical 2-1/8" gauges.  Just like the ones that everyone else is putting under their dash in that cheap chrome bezel.  At least these can be made out of sight with the ash tray door closed.

On 4/18/2020 at 10:34 AM, RivNut said:

Nope, just using a known fact that in Celsius (AKA centigrade) that the human body temp is 37° C. 

37 x 2 = 74.  74 + 30 = 104.  If my temperature is 104, I'll be lucky to get to the doctor.  I'm not one for dealing in generalities. 😎

Ed, well I’ll reveal the purpose of the short cut formula. In the context of car engine heat and having a Celsius gauge for measuring said engine temp. A few degrees is no big deal for my purpose of determining is the engine overheating? I can deal in generalities for this drill. 
So, it’s a “known fact” every human body in good health  is 37C?  I might say it is generally accepted 37C is the human body temperature. For me I need to find out the normal operating temperature of my engine. 

On 4/18/2020 at 7:55 PM, RivNut said:

You guys are just envious that some of us still have good eyesight in our waning years.  Those are your typical 2-1/8" gauges.  Just like the ones that everyone else is putting under their dash in that cheap chrome bezel.  At least these can be made out of sight with the ash tray door closed.

Ed, I have a hard time visualizing how that set up is in the ashtray. Additionally, I’m not certain how these five gauges can be stowed by closing the ashtray door? I think the cap did. A fine job mounting 2 1/8 “ gauges. I mounted my 52mm gauge literally in the ashtray.

247A9C00-9051-41A2-B697-6942B0E7A76F.jpeg

On 4/18/2020 at 9:37 AM, Turbinator said:

Ed, to use a quote you use from Mr Ed, “ with no pictures it did not happen.”

Turbinator

12 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Ed, I have a hard time visualizing how that set up is in the ashtray. Additionally, I’m not certain how these five gauges can be stowed by closing the ashtray door? I think the cap did. A fine job mounting 2 1/8 “ gauges. I mounted my 52mm gauge literally in the ashtray.

247A9C00-9051-41A2-B697-6942B0E7A76F.jpeg

Not in the Ash tray. Remove the ash tray and fill the opening.  Visualize it again. A couple of modifications were done to some mounting tabs in the console.  I have another 63 console that I can put them into put they won't fit quite right. Shall I try?

Visualize this. Remove the entire ashtray assembly.  Sorry, I couldnt find the chrome cover w/ black vinyl and ash tray lid to complete the ensemble.

20200420_181722.thumb.jpg.28f5a408b56ba237603714485f706713.jpg

Hope this helps.  Like when I watch a movie with Linda. She's always reminding me "Time to suspend your disbelief."

19 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Visualize this. Remove the entire ashtray assembly.  Sorry, I couldnt find the chrome cover w/ black vinyl and ash tray lid to complete the ensemble.

20200420_181722.thumb.jpg.28f5a408b56ba237603714485f706713.jpg

Hope this helps.  Like when I watch a movie with Linda. She's always reminding me "Time to suspend your disbelief."

Ed, I’m very happy to be mistaken, but zi thought you wrote the gent put the five gauges in the ashtray. I was taking the ashtray location for the 5 gauges literally. I get the picture now 100%. A very neat installation, a lot of design work went in to that job. For me it would be a lot of work. Thank you for your clarification and the time you took to clear the subject. Sometimes I’m intense when it is not necessary.

Turbinator

On 4/18/2020 at 10:38 AM, RivNut said:

Used to teach the 'multiplicative inverse' in 7th grade algebra.  Any number to the zero power is 1.

It can be proven, but my skills trying to show math examples on a tablet don't work.

The easiest way to prove it is with division and as you stated division by zero is undefined.

Ed, I think I’d be better at Math had you been my teacher. After earning a BA in Economics I learned I could buy something for a $1. and sell the item for $10. and come out ahead. True story.

On the door actuators, I was looking my '64 Riviera over yesterday. I had forgotten that the center barb had broken off during the 1990's. Sometimes that is all that is wrong. I carefully drilled out the broken stub and installed a 1/8" NPT 90 degree adapter: https://www.industrialspec.com/shop/media/catalog/category/mebj_series.jpg 

If your diaphragm is still good you have a chance at getting it working.

Bernie

7 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

On the door actuators, I was looking my '64 Riviera over yesterday. I had forgotten that the center barb had broken off during the 1990's. Sometimes that is all that is wrong. I carefully drilled out the broken stub and installed a 1/8" NPT 90 degree adapter: https://www.industrialspec.com/shop/media/catalog/category/mebj_series.jpg 

If your diaphragm is still good you have a chance at getting it working.

Bernie

Bernie, the dual port vacuum actuator #1&#2 work. Three & 4 vacuum actuator are on the shelf. I have a single dual port vac actuator in the 3&4 position.

im wondering if recirculating the cool air from the AC would be better than having a door 1/4 of the way open for fresh air? If I get “fogged”

up I’ll wipe off the inside of the windshield.

ive been reading up on what is suppose to do what when certain settings are in place on the Hvac panel inside the car. It is getting better, but not100% clear.

Turbinator

Here is a not too good picture of the repaired actuator with the 90 degree fitting. This is just a repair if someone has broken the vacuum port. It was an existing condition.

My technique is to slit the tubing or hose longitudinally with a razor knife and roll it off the port. That prevents the stress of pulling or twisting.

025.thumb.JPG.eeeff12dbac2db75fdb5a760d3173c1c.JPG

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Here is a not too good picture of the repaired actuator with the 90 degree fitting. This is just a repair if someone has broken the vacuum port. It was an existing condition.

My technique is to slit the tubing or hose longitudinally with a razor knife and roll it off the port. That prevents the stress of pulling or twisting.

025.thumb.JPG.eeeff12dbac2db75fdb5a760d3173c1c.JPG

Bernie, thank you that’s a great tip to fix a tip. Are you hip ?

maybe you can remember the type and brand of adhesive you used?

Turbinator

On 4/18/2020 at 7:55 PM, RivNut said:

Ed, I agree if you are going to have gauges at all I think they look better out of sight when not being used...just my preference. My single dual function gauge is in the ash tray proper. It took a period of time to fit the gauge in so I could see the thing, but it fits. Some say if you keep the damn engine up to snuff you won’t need gauges. In theory on going proper maintenance and repairs eliminates the need for gauges. In the past some of repairs did not hold as they should. So, from now on I’m wearing a belt with my suspenders.

Turbinator

Multi-function gauge?  Now you're talking. ;)  With the proliferation of in-dash touch screens, there has to be one small enough to fit that opening (my old Garmin GPS would).  If you look around, there's probably already an app that will do most of what you want, so a cheap down-version iPhone might fit the bill.

5 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

Multi-function gauge?  Now you're talking. ;)  With the proliferation of in-dash touch screens, there has to be one small enough to fit that opening (my old Garmin GPS would).  If you look around, there's probably already an app that will do most of what you want, so a cheap down-version iPhone might fit the bill.

Mr Konga Man, it would seem the screen that small in the ashtray would be hard to see and then touch a screen that small would be problematic. There are limits to what some technologies can and can’t do.

For instance an aid to help with navigation in the car is helpful for me. I bought a 63 Buick Engineer approved accessory  Dinsmore Compass with light for night use. The Compass has an attractive chrome like finish and tells you exactly what direction you are traveling. The compass is mounted up where the rear view is also mounted.

A man must know the direction he is traveling.

Turbinator

I love my old Garmin.  Tells me the time, altitude, speed, upcoming delays,  ETA, and there's a little arrow on the screen that always points north.  The only problem with it is that I have to connect it to my computer and download new maps every six months. But hey, they're free with LTM - Life Time Maps.  It even directs me to the nearest Dairy Queen.  The screen is big enough to get any information I need at a glance and it's like a heads up display.  Does require a 12V outlet though.  

I don't know why a screen would be any harder to see than an analog gauge in the same location.  Depending on the configuration, it would actually be easier to read.  Don't know that touching the screen would be any harder than pushing in the lighter, either.