63 Riviera AC vent doors opening and closing

Turbinator

7 hours ago, RivNut said:

When running on the circuit (highway,) you leave that stuff to your navigator.  You need to keep one eye on the road and the other eye on the idiot lights.

Ed, it seems to me the eye strain would cause blurred vision. What happens if you do not have someone that can use a sextant ? And last, no navigator on board?

Turbinator

8 hours ago, KongaMan said:

I don't know why a screen would be any harder to see than an analog gauge in the same location.  Depending on the configuration, it would actually be easier to read.  Don't know that touching the screen would be any harder than pushing in the lighter, either.

The screen could be seen, but accurately touching the very small icons to activate what it is you want might be a challenge for some. A voice activated system might just be the way? The voice activated widget could be stowed behind the dash. Eye strain and safety would be a non issue. 
The ash tray could stay an ashtray!

And when you went to a show the ash tray door could remain open.

Voice activation and sound alerts for over heating and no oil now is another feature for consideration.

A Tesla cloaked in a Buick zRiviera skin!

Putting mine on was easy, just walked up to it.

003.thumb.png.21e5830443c95510ac57df19d69b579f.png

It is hard to do some things alone. You might try putting four 1/4-20 studs in to hang it on and then replace them with the proper bolts.

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2020 at 8:25 PM, RivNut said:

I love my old Garmin.  Tells me the time, altitude, speed, upcoming delays,  ETA, and there's a little arrow on the screen that always points north.  The only problem with it is that I have to connect it to my computer and download new maps every six months. But hey, they're free with LTM - Life Time Maps.  It even directs me to the nearest Dairy Queen.  The screen is big enough to get any information I need at a glance and it's like a heads up display.  Does require a 12V outlet though.  

Ed, did the Garmin require a 12 v inverter/converter to accomdate the receptacle?

Seems like a neat addition. If I had a 12 volt receptacle I plug in my guitar amp easily enough when I’m on the road in my red zRiviera 

Turbinator

5 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Putting mine on was easy, just walked up to it.

003.thumb.png.21e5830443c95510ac57df19d69b579f.png

It is hard to do some things alone. You might try putting four 1/4-20 studs in to hang it on and then replace them with the proper bolts.

Bernie, got em all in.

Bob

1 hour ago, Turbinator said:

Ed, did the Garmin require a 12 v inverter/converter to accomdate the receptacle?

Seems like a neat addition. If I had a 12 volt receptacle I plug in my guitar amp easily enough when I’m on the road in my red zRiviera 

Turbinator

Most newer cars have a 12V power source. In a 1st generation Riviera, you'd need to replace the OE lighter receptical with a 12V source.  The one picture has a USB port as well. ( just a picture I picked off the internet)

sku_442669_1.jpg.bc4a69c71041026ce607542c5e41b018.jpg

I never did.  I used it with both a GPS and a phone charger without issue (maybe an hour at a stretch).  OTOH, experience suggests that those fuses deteriorate over time*, so it wouldn't be a great surprise if the miniscule draw of a phone charger was enough to push an already suspect fuse over the edge.  Too bad there aren't any reasonably priced, reliable replacement for those fuses.  I'm not paying $25 for one on eBay when it may already be crapped out.  If you're not going to use the lighter itself, it may be advisable to remove the Casco fuse and jumper in an inline fuse holder so you can use the lighter as an outlet.

* Example: I can almost guarantee that the rear lighters in my 63 have never been used.  I know they both used to work, and there is still 12V at the fuse. Yet, one of the fuses is now shot.  Go figure.

4 hours ago, KongaMan said:

FWIW, the stock lighter will work as a 12V source.  IMHO, a better option would be to put a panel in the ashtray opening which has multiple outlets.  If you haven't already filled that space with a gauge array. ;) 

I do have some room left for one more outlet. I’m putting in usb/aux fitting where the lighter once was.

To drive a 40 watt guitar amp from the cigarette lighter seems a little shaky. The inverter is probably a better choice to drive the amp as they require a lot of powder. Placing the inverter/ converter behind the dash could be dicey maneuver. 
You sparked another idea for reliability enhancement without changing the look of the automobile. There must be a solution to replace the tube fuses in that blasted hard to reach location.  It is an electrical connection you could hide in the trunk? Maybe a breaker box like you have in your house with breakers instead of fuses. It’s possible I could plug my amp in from the trunk?

An recommendations are appreciated.

Turbinator

• 2 months later...

Why can't we find out who* does these Chevelle SS instrument panels.  Look at the gauge cluster.  It' just like the Riviera's but it has needles and gauges rather than idiot lights.  There's also a bonus tach in the center of the gauges.  NICE!

1969 Chevelle Tach And Gauge Cluster With 5700 RPM Redline

* I've looked and looked but have had no luck.

Ed

On 5/5/2020 at 2:49 AM, Turbinator said:

I do have some room left for one more outlet. I’m putting in usb/aux fitting where the lighter once was.

To drive a 40 watt guitar amp from the cigarette lighter seems a little shaky. The inverter is probably a better choice to drive the amp as they require a lot of powder. Placing the inverter/ converter behind the dash could be dicey maneuver. 
You sparked another idea for reliability enhancement without changing the look of the automobile. There must be a solution to replace the tube fuses in that blasted hard to reach location.  It is an electrical connection you could hide in the trunk? Maybe a breaker box like you have in your house with breakers instead of fuses. It’s possible I could plug my amp in from the trunk?

An recommendations are appreciated.

Turbinator

One recommendation: use a smaller amp.  You ain't playing Woodstock.

Another: put the inverter in the trunk or under the passenger seat.  You could also hide a receptacle behind the grill (easy to get to) and mount the inverter on the inner fender (if it can withstand the environment).

One problem you will run into is that the alternators for these cars aren't as beefy as you may be accustomed to.  You're going to run out of juice if you try to power too much.

From what I understand police vehicles have pretty good alternators. The police vehicles need a measurable amount of power to operate all the electronics and lighting.

im not certain how much power the police alternator can supply. I’ll look it up and maybe find one a heavy duty alternator to fit my Riviera. The replacement alternator will have to look stock.

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Why can't we find out who* does these Chevelle SS instrument panels.  Look at the gauge cluster.  It' just like the Riviera's but it has needles and gauges rather than idiot lights.  There's also a bonus tach in the center of the gauges.  NICE!

Ed

Had a guy on V8Buick that had done a conversion to gauges that promised he would do a write up some time ago. Grass has grown tall, fire bugs are everywhere, crickets are chirping.

I’ll see if I can find him again and get a commitment.

Ray 

There are two versions of that cluster: one with gauges and one with idiot lights.  Both say they're plug-n-play with the stock harness.  I don't see any sense in the idiot light version (because all it gives you is a tach), but one of the eBay listings for one of the versions (I forget which one) mentions converting idiot lights to gauges and some kind of a kit.  I don't know what connections each gauge expects, but if you're lucky it might be a simple matter of changing sensors and some minor rewiring.  I guess you'd also want to make sure the fuel gauge is expecting the same 30Ω sending unit. You might also want to check if the oil pressure gauge requires an oil line in the cabin or just a wire.

Of course, there's also the question of fitment.  Maybe they have a second-quality shell they could send you to drop into a spare panel to see if it works.  I don't know what the market would be for these in a first gen, but it's certainly a cleaner solution than sticking gauges under the dash, in the ashtray, under the windshield wiper, etc.

8 hours ago, RivNut said:

I'm going to get in touch with them tomorrow, thanks,

Ed

Probably manufactured you know where under contract. It would not be the first time an American had a good idea but could not get it made here.

The placement of gauges is sharp, neat, and clean, and easier to read than gauges mounted in other places. I have seen a set of gauges in the ashtray Kegart fabricated and mounted. Kevin’s installation looks like it came from the factory. None looks better than Kevin’s installation including my own.

Turbinator

Dakota Digital makes replacement instruments for the 63-65 Riviera, but the 69 Chevelle instruments look a lot better. But the full set is half again as much money for the Chevelle stuff. But they make a great product and will help you work out any issues you have.

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=424/mode=cat/cat424.htm

prd_1233.jpg

15 hours ago, RivNut said:

Ed

You might try Classic Instruments,  Boyne City Michigan. They make custom gauges. 

Kevin 

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

The Dakota Digital was ruined (IMHO) with the digital odometer.  All of a sudden you left the 60s and came into the 21st century.

Couldn't agree more. That is part of the reason I like the Chevelle gauges better.

prod_ssh_4670_9596.jpg

prod_ssh_4670_9597.jpg

2 hours ago, KongaMan said:

Don't quite understand some of the bonus lights on the Dakota Digital gauge (check engine, cruise(?), etc.).  Or how they implement the gear indicator.  I do think the calibrated gauges are an improvement, though.

There are some further information on their website including for the gear indicator although I suspect there will be issues with the pattern for a dynaflow, https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=997/mode=prod/prd997.htm
Not for me today but maybe one day in the future.

2 minutes ago, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

There are some further information on their website including for the gear indicator although I suspect there will be issues with the pattern for a dynaflow, https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=997/mode=prod/prd997.htm

Which is part of the question: three years of first gen cars, each with a different indicator pattern (PNDLR, PRNDL, PRNDL2L1). I guess this might work for a 64.

• Like 1

The original Powerglides had the same gear patterns as the Dynaflow -  PNDLR

later Powerglides had the same pattern as the 64 ST400 - PRNDL

TH400 and TH350 are the same as the 65> ST400 - PRND2L

If you've gone this far, chances are you've installed an O/D transmission. 😊

7 hours ago, KongaMan said:

I get why they moved Reverse to between Park and Neutral, but that Dynaflow shift pattern sure comes in handy when you're trying to rock your car out of the snow.

You are not much of driver if you get stuck in the snow. City folk I can see them venturing out the country and get caught in a snow storm. Real drivers just do not get stuck in the snow.

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

9 hours ago, RivNut said:

Ed, I had a 1950 Chevrolet DeLuxe and the gear pattern is exactly as you say. I always took off in low and shifted in to drive once the car was making progress. The DeLuxe is my most memorable automobile. Coincidentally the DeLuxe was red.

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

Yeah, the Powerglide is a true two speed transmission.  Start in low and manually shift into drive or start in drive and the transmission will start in low and shift into drive "automtically" -  how novel.  A modified Powerglide is the choice transmission for gas and alcohol dragsters. The first car I had in my own name was 55 Chevy Belaire 2dr post.  A little 2 barrel 265 V8 w/ Powwrglide that was two tone white and beige with beige interior.  Bought it from a guy down the street for $200. First thing I did was to paint it Honduras Maroon.  Sweet ride. 

18 hours ago, RivNut said:

Am in the process of putting a 4L60E behind the nailhead. Using ShiftWorks’ Buick conversion. Lots of stuff to do to make it look stock, at least with the hood closed! Not cheap but keeps me away from the world’s madness.

Will report on this and all of the other mods once I'm sure they are solid.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 9:47 AM, kegart said:

You might try Classic Instruments,  Boyne City Michigan. They make custom gauges. 

Kevin 

Kev, thank you. Got the oil pressure side of my dual function Smiths gauge working in a grand fashion.

Unfortunately, I did not do enough research to get the water temp side of the gauge installed right. The rest are mistakes I’ll tell you live., The Devil is in the details. You’d think I’d know better by now.

Bob

On 7/10/2020 at 4:17 PM, BulldogDriver said:

Am in the process of putting a 4L60E behind the nailhead. Using ShiftWorks’ Buick conversion. Lots of stuff to do to make it look stock, at least with the hood closed! Not cheap but keeps me away from the world’s madness.

Will report on this and all of the other mods once I'm sure they are solid.

Ray

Ray, got my engine back from JB’s. They did a couple of things I did not like. I asked they not hone align and they got the rings on the piston in the wrong order. Having got the low side out of the way. The engine is very strong and powerful. The engine sounds super good.

I take it you have your engine back?

Bob Burnopp

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Gents, I’ve read mixed reports on the reliability of the Suction Throttling Valve being reinstalled on 63 zRiviera AC. I’ve had no luck with the STV on 63 AC. I changed over to the electric switch that takes on the function of cycling the clutch on the AC compressor to keep the evaporator from freezing up. I’ve heard from many that have AC in working in their first gen Riviera’s with the original STV.

One of the STV’s I tried was rebuilt by the Parts Guy in Tampa. Here is what the Parts Guy had to say about the STV:

It is imperative that your air-conditioning system be contaminant free prior to installation and use of this valve. Failure to insure that your system is contaminant free will almost guarantee to cause the piston to stick inside the valve, which will force the a/c evaporator to freeze up.

So if you plan on using a replacement STV make sure you system is flushed and evacuated to be contaminate free.

Turbinator