Chance to buy a 1968 Chevelle - Need Advice

capngrog

I have a chance to buy a 1968 Chevelle that is powered by a 502c.i. big block. I'm a SBC guy, and no expert at that, and know little about the Chevy big block engines. This morning I got a chance to look at a really nice looking 1968 Chevelle that had been re-powered with a 502 big block several years ago. It's an automatic transmission car with the center console, but I don't know much more about it than that. I assume that it's a Powerglide. The car is reportedly an SS model. The car is in a garage with poor lighting (naturally my flash light batteries conked out), so I wasn't able to check out casting numbers etc., but tomorrow I expect to see the car running in the bright sunlight and will get a chance to drive it.

I would appreciate any advice from folks who have some knowledge of 1968 Chevelles and 502 C.I. big blocks. What should I be looking for in either the engine or the car itself? Are there any particular trouble sources I should be aware of? I'll try to get some photos tomorrow.

I need all the help I can get.

Cheers,
Grog

Grog,

The 502 is an aftermarket performance big block offered by GM so casting numbers won't mean much. However, the 502 has an excellent reputation for stump pulling power. Coupled with a '68 Chevelle should be a great car. I would expect the trans to be a Turbo 350 or 400. If the price is right, grab it!

Greg

Guest BillP

I had a '68 and then a '69 Malibu back in the '70s. To continue the irrelevant numerical progression, I bought a '71 Monte Carlo in '72. The first Chevelle had a 250 inch six in it that I replaced with a stock small block, the second had a factory small block V8.  Both Chevelles were good cars, reliable and developed rust in the usual places, lower rear portions of the front fenders and over the rear wheel arches. I now have a '70 El Camino, 350/350, and have thought about re-powering; if I did it would be with a more recent LS motor. They make lots of power and are lighter than the big block, an important thing with the weight distribution being what it is.

These crate 502s have to be great for bragging at the cruise-in though. If this car was built well, should be fun.

apparently today- most all chevelles are SS...................

very hard to tell if your car actually was or not-most guys think they know the difference and dont. Ist thing everyone says is if its a 138 car its an ss. not always true and some 136 cars were ss

as far as having the wrong engine. if you like the car, then buy it. biggest question is how is the rust? good solid car, then buy accordingly and as to price.

having the wrong motor does matter, so dont get carried away paying too much.

good luck!

Hopefully with a 502 it has a built THM400 though if modern might have a 4L80. I understand for a street 1/8 mile car Powerglides (2 speed) are popular though gearing would be "interesting". Was recently a Fantomworks show (S6E7) on a similar 69 Camaro set up for straight line and what it took to make it streetable (a lot).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mercer09 said:

apparently today- most all chevelles are SS...................

very hard to tell if your car actually was or not-most guys think they know the difference and dont. Ist thing everyone says is if its a 138 car its an ss. not always true and some 136 cars were ss

as far as having the wrong engine. if you like the car, then buy it. biggest question is how is the rust? good solid car, then buy accordingly and as to price.

having the wrong motor does matter, so dont get carried away paying too much.

good luck!

There are two items in some replies to your inquiry I want to address. First, having messed with big block Chevys, I don't believe a T350 or a Powerglide can hold up to the gobs of torque a big block puts out unless the trans is specifically set up & beefed up for racing. My last big block car I used a T400 in it. They're pretty much bullet proof.

Second, some replies IMHO are giving you bad advice about whether or not the car is an SS. If it's VIN starts with 138 it is an SS396. If it starts with 136, IT IS NOT. There is no such animal as a 1968 Chevelle SS396 with a VIN starting with 136. How do I know this? From the material & literature I read, put together by some of the best Chevy minds in the country.

Standard Catalog of American Cars page 162

Chevrolet by the Numbers pages 25 & 26

Chevrolet SS Muscle Car Red Book page 88

I rest my case.

• Like 1

What I've read is that the '68 SS  biggest engine is the 396ci, and in '69 they made some COPO Chevelles with a 402ci , but badged them a 396ci. No factory 502's. (My personal favorite that I had was a '66 Malibu 4 speed  with a HOT 327ci  350hp. 

57 minutes ago, Doug Novak said:

What I've read is that the '68 SS  biggest engine is the 396ci, and in '69 they made some COPO Chevelles with a 402ci , but badged them a 396ci. No factory 502's. (My personal favorite that I had was a '66 Malibu 4 speed  with a HOT 327ci  350hp. 

Doug, You're right that the "biggest" engine for 1968 Chevelles was a 396. There were two of them, actually. The standard 396 high performance engine, and the SPECIAL high performance 396 with 375 horsepower, under Regular Production Option (RPO) L-78. The differences that comprised the L-78 option included 4-bolt main caps holding down the steel crankshaft, big "square" intake ports in the aluminum intake manifold, solid lifter camshaft, holley 4 barrel carburetor, high compression pistons, etc. The regular 396 engine got more ordinary engine components. 

In 1969, there were indeed some Chevelles sold with even larger engines, but these were actually 427 cubic inches, sold under the "COPO" program (the acronym stands for "Central Office Production Order.") Essentially, the 427 engine was not supposed to be installed in these cars. However, a production order from the Central Office could override such rules. 

The "402" engine debuted in 1970, described as a 396 on the car badges and engine stickers. It was essentially the same engine, just bored a tiny bit larger. 

I appreciate the input.  That's what I'm looking for.  I'll check the block casting numbers to confirm that it is, in fact a 502, and then I'll do my best to determine the transmission and rear end.  Should I be looking for a 12 bolt rear instead of the more standard 10 bolt?  I'll also check the VIN to determine what model/series it was originally.  The Fisher body 'plate should give me some indication of the trim etc.  I realize that the 502 engine has a negative impact on the ultimate value of the car, but it should be fun, and if the price is right ...

My quick check of the obvious body sections revealed no rust, but I hope to get it up on a lift tomorrow for a closer look.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Cheers,

Grog

Second, some replies IMHO are giving you bad advice about whether or not the car is an SS. If it's VIN starts with 138 it is an SS396. If it starts with 136, IT IS NOT. There is no such animal as a 1968 Chevelle SS396 with a VIN starting with 136. How do I know this? From the material & literature I read, put together by some of the best Chevy minds in the country.

Standard Catalog of American Cars page 162

Chevrolet by the Numbers pages 25 & 26

Chevrolet SS Muscle Car Red Book page 88

I rest my case.

and once again, the "experts" have spoken.......................

A Chevelle Malibu SS 396 with a 136 VIN?

December 12, 2014 in Feature Story

1966-Malibu-SS

GM of Canada Built a Chevelle Malibu SS 396 with a 136 VIN Code

When talking about a Chevelle or Malibu SS, one of the things you’ve probably heard is that the surest way to identify it as genuine is to check the VIN number. The conventional wisdom states that a 138 VIN number means you’ve got a real Chevelle SS on your hands. Cars On Line has even touched on this subject as part of our How to Identify a Chevelle SS feature article. The use of the 138 VIN codes to identify an original Chevelle SS is so widely used, that the rumors of a 136 VIN Code 1966-1967 Chevelle Malibu SS 396 are often dismissed or disbelieved. As it turns out, if the Malibu was built by GM of Canada, you might want to take a second look.

While the United States pushed all SS production onto the 138 VIN of the 1966 Chevelle, GM of Canada introduced the SS “Super Sport” option to the existing 136 VIN code Malibu. Frank Agueci, a 24-year GM of Canada veteran and representative for Vintage Vehicle Services tells us that, strictly speaking, the “SS” option was coded as A51 and was mostly an appearance option. It meant you could get your 1966 Malibu with bucket seats, console, P01 wheel covers and even a 6-cylinder engine.  In addition to the standard 194, 230, 283 2-barrel and 327 275-horsepower 4-barrel engines, buyers could select a 360-horsepower, Turbo-Jet 396 V8.  Mike Crown of MysteryChevelle.com goes on to explain that the Canadian SS big block did not get the VIN stamped on the deck pad either. Only the assembly date makes an appearance, making identification of such vehicles that much harder.

1966-Malibu-SS

The confusion rises from the difference in production and marketing methods used between the United States and Canada. The U.S. enjoyed a markedly higher production rate and decided to add the SS 396 option as its own model, under the 138 VIN code.  GM of Canada continued to use the 136 VIN code regardless of options until a mid-year conversion in 1967. As a result, it’s quite possible to find a real 1966-1967 Chevelle Malibu SS 396. It all depended on what the individual buyer decided to order their car with, and it’s why modern-day collectors will have to do a lot of research to confirm the identity of one today.

Modern restoration efforts have made things even more difficult. With so few people realizing that the GM of Canada-built Chevelle Malibu SS exists, some restoration projects end up referencing the models produced in the United States, and devalue a rare Chevelle Malibu SS 396/360 with incorrect modifications.

If you are considering the purchase of what you believe is a rare GM of Canada-built Chevelle Malibu SS 396, or if you suspect what you thought was a clone to be one, you’d do well to invest some time in additional research. Services like Vintage Vehicle Services and Mike Crown’s books available at MysteryChevelle.com can help.

CLICK HERE to read more How to Buy a Car Online installments!

9 Responses to A Chevelle Malibu SS 396 with a 136 VIN?

1. f2a3d2547080165e8ef74ea0fc38a8ae?s=50&d=
    Mike Bedard March 22, 2014 at 9:38 am #

so true as i have owned 1 of these cars it was purchased here in town. i sent all #s to GM canada and they sent all documentaton on car, Colour,ext colour,int-who it sold to 6cyl- 283- 327-396 hp of the motor that came with that car how many were produced. Hope this helps

• b180f9a61649f5ea4fb9f3d0fe51ecde?s=50&d=
      Dean July 13, 2014 at 2:09 pm #

Just bought a 67 chevelle malibu ss 327/glide here in Saskatchewan Canada. It is a Oshawa
      Built car with A51 code. Try and tell most people and they laugh and think you are lying or have wrong info or got ripped off. HA! Waiting for my GM of Canada package to arrive. I have an early
      McKinnon 327/275 engine. I have been told that it is a 327/300 hp engine. Plan on taking it to the US and freaking some car heads out,LOL.

2. dfdb80aa51415fdd09f4e21642880fe7?s=50&d=
    maurice July 21, 2014 at 9:57 pm #

My dad bought some land when i was ten (10) years old . Now im in my forty’s . Theres and old car on the land in the woods that i would like to restore .how can i get a title for it.

3. d6ed2547bc40e0a9934095f4d275a517?s=50&d=
    Alex March 18, 2015 at 10:46 am #

Thanks for the great article! Here’s the universal VIN decoder http://www.vindecoderz.com/ – It shows extended tech info and list of factory options. Hope the tool will be helpful for car owners.

4. 95389ecbbfef1fc1bce5bbbf3a3d300f?s=50&d=
    Steve March 29, 2015 at 9:28 pm #

COOL,I have a 67 -350hp WITH AIR,TH.400 SS MALIBU.12 BOLT POSI REAREND,342 GEARED.

5. 6632394ace56f1a35b45c6228ec2e158?s=50&d=
    Barry Harsh December 27, 2015 at 11:15 am #

I have a 66 Chevelle Malibu SS – A51 option code. I have the documentation from Vintage Vehicle Services that my chevelle was built with the 283 – 195hp – powerglide. When the chevelle was restored back in 2012 a rebuilt 396 installed with a Muncie 4sp. I bought the chevelle knowing it was a Canadian built car. When I resell the chevelle being a Malibu SS with documentation does that help with resale value? The guy I bought it from just told me it was a Clone, but was built in Canada. Everything was restored back to original color, vinyl top, interior. Has the SS 396 emblems with doomed hood.

• ca7961ab1e160406976879d8125a1167?s=50&d=
      gerry September 16, 2016 at 4:43 pm #

Canadian SSs never came with the domed hood or SS396 emblems, flat hood, standard Chevelle grill, big block fender emblems(396 turbo jet) and Malibu SS emblems on rear quarters

6. f1dcccc95ea1e0f0704af74093ca79e8?s=50&d=
    Darrell November 19, 2016 at 8:09 pm #

I own one. It is Malibu SS 396. It is a 136 code and it comes with flat hood

Leave a Reply

Name (required)

Email (will not be published) (required)

Notify me of follow-up comments by email.

Notify me of new posts by email.

Deal Of The Day

1969 Corvette Pro Street

1969 Corvette Pro Street, $18,500

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Email Address

Categories

1 hour ago, mercer09 said:

and once again, the "experts" have spoken.......................

I should have specified AMERICAN manufactured cars, not CANADIAN manufactured cars. After all, we are in AMERICA and any discussion of cars in this country usually is referring to cars manufactured for sale in this country unless otherwise specified. Canadian cars are a whole separate entity & I don't believe they should be used as the exception to prove the rule is false. ie: Their Pontiacs had Chevy engines in the '60's. They have a "Chevelle" called a Beaumont. Different cars, different countries, different manufacture.

Never stated I was an "expert". Did state IMHO, but maybe only certain "expert" advice should be heeded. Lighten up.

Edited by George Smolinski (see edit history)

George,

my apologies, not trying to upset you. Only one example I gave here............

there are many more. I too have read expert advice in books and found some of it to be false. Good to debate and learn and google is good for that.

enjoy your weekend!

BTW- I own a 69 chevelle convertible with a 396, it IS NOT an ss.

Just all of the GM A or F-bodies are a life's work of its own. For example what years XXX was an option and what years it was a model of its own is non-trivial. Also in that period I remember three factory 396s: a 325 and 350hp (hydraulic) and a 375 hp (solid) just in the F-body. Have 10s of feet of factory service manuals, parts & accessory books (these have the best code information), Rochester carbs, Delco-Moraine brakes, Delco-Radio manuals, and other both factory & aftermarket information (like Vince Piggin's Green Sheets & the 1973 Pontiac factory notice of the emissions issue with serial numbers or dates). Several feet are just TSBs (anymore I prefer electronic but GM withdrew permission for that).

In another thread people talk about data plates and keeping codes a secret. I find that humorous since consider that a secondary proof of authenticity and at least for GM, a complete decode is found in the parts and accessories manual (some years are better than others).

So here I really doubt that it matters whether this car is a SS or not. My question is more "how streetable is it".  You can build a Powerglide to take monstrous HP but 5.88 gears and a 4,000 rpm stall is not very nice to drive.

BTW most A bodies came with a 10 bolt rear end, HD cars got a 12 bolt, but for racing today most like a 9" F*rd.

And just for S&G here is something rarely seen about Chevvies (not an expert, just have a lot of data). Main difference between a 67 and 68 SBC is that the journal size changed.

chevhvydutsparts.jpg

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

The '66 Malibu we had was ordered from a Dealer in Baltimore and build at the Chevy GM Plant on Broening Highway in Baltimore. It was  faster then the 396's. My Brother was a Barber and one of his regular customers was the GM Plant Manager. While getting a hair cut my brother told him about a problem with his '64 that had a leaky trunk. So the Plant manager got info on the '66 on order and said he'd walk it through the plant to make sure we'd like it? We're pretty sure it had the Corvette 327 but there's no way to confirm, all we knew is it was fast. We'll always wonder if it was a COPO. I learned to drive, at 16, from this car, with a 4 speed and became a gear head because of it I think.