sorry for beating your ears

broker-len

In the past few months I have been beating your ears about my plymouth that would not run-------------went through checking ignition timing , vacuum, two carbs                 checked valve timing        I found it--------------had to take hood and rad off pulled timing case      and found the cam gear hub, which is an after market, had slipped in the gear   sending the motor out of time         now am looking for a cam gear for a 4 cylinder  32 plymouth   part number     42294     stamped on gear       same gear      28 to 32 PB   plymouth

ENGINE BLOCK.JPG

CAMG 7.JPG

CAMG 5.JPG

Edited by broker-len
/// (see edit history)

I'll ask my neighbor, who has a 32 dirt track racer, he has some spares. I won't see him for almost two weeks. Send me a PM on the 27th.

the cam gear is keyed      came off easy      here is the problem      have had this car over 40 years    in 70s     had it rebuilt    the shop put a after market gear     see pictured     drive it very little     6 years ago      retirement      wanted to get it all done     could not get it running smooth                  the more I tinkered the worse it got       found out who made the gear and was told they had problems      the hub tended to shift   in gear      throughing the timing out        so now need to find one or buy new after market

CAMG 3.JPG

I bought a NORS gear for my PB back in the late 80s when it seems there were more available then.  I find it difficult to think that there is not a repro one available?  Have you tried any other PA/PB clubs or members?

If not, I'd try to work the hub back to proper position.... "if" someone could give the precise location of where that keyway should be, in reference to the zero mark?  (like 180 degrees)? Then a local machine shop could make some sort of rivets or fasteners to keep it from moving again.

still have the original                      know where the marks are         my shop thinks it is a risky fix     if the pin shifts could slip out     a new gear is available for    $ 200.00        am trying to find a kind person who has an original in their garage

Too many shops now days are afraid of their own shadows........I don't know how they stay in business!....... :wacko:

Get the hub properly located then drill and tap some holes from the back side that will engage both the hub and gear.

Loctite some Allen screws in it and drive till you drop....... :P

• Like 1

I know it can be fixed   my shop just does not want to see me any more    because  I  hold them responsible for some bad work they did in the past  but  at best it is risky      the company that make it that does not want to stand behind it told me to drill and use a roll pin    either that or threaded if it goes it and clears the thickness of end plate or backs out and hits the block       TROUBLE   if I had no other alternative would try but    some one from oregon sent me one that is an original         which I will probobely use    can get new aftermarket for   $ 200.00   don't want to spend money       just trying to see if any one has any other gears to choose from

Edited by broker-len (see edit history)