What did I just agree to? 47 Dodge motor....

Frantz

So I had a '37 Chevy cab online for sale and it's shot... like even my dreamer mind said "maybe you should scrap it". Anyway I found a rodder who was interested in buying it and then I spoke up and asked if he had any motors he was going to scrap. Well he just got a '47 Dodge truck and hes going to give me the engine and transmission out of that in exchange for my rusty cab and a good floorpan I have. He's not really sure what it is and I really don't know what it is either... so what did I get? I'm assuming they were flathead 6 motors... were they used in anything else, or are they likely truck only items? 

Why I like to collect motors for vehicles I don't own is a great question! Don't tell my wife... she'll just be glad the cab is gone.

47 Dodge truck should have a flathead six cylinder, 230 cu in approximately 102HP. Basically, the same flathead six was used in different versions in Dodge and Plymouth cars and trucks from 1938 to 1959. They were also sold as industrial and marine engines. They were a very good, well made engine of typical flathead six type which was the most popular type of engine at the time.

Millions were made and hundreds of thousands are still in service. They are simple, well made, easy to repair and rebuild. Parts are available cheap.

Depending on the truck it could be a 3 speed or 4 speed.

There is a good chance the engine will run or can be put back in commission with minimal repairs. If you have some kind of project in mind like a speedster, autotrac or the like.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks! No project in mind yet.... but I'll have to come up with something. Part of me has always thought about collecting motors and restoring them.... they take up less space, and I have a pretty good collection started. They also tell an automotive story. I'm just glad to keep one out of the junk yard.

I had read about that tank motor before, but I'll have to chalk that up under thing I forgot I knew! Cool stuff. I have the Chrysler engine history book so I'll have to freshen up on my history.

2 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Oh yeah, thousands were used in tractors and farm machinery. If you want to see something really radical, here is an army tank powerplant made by Chrysler in WW2 using 5 of them joined together.

Another tank unit at the Chrysler museum....

Picture 574.jpg

Ugh, truck made it 70 years, too bad he didn't sell you the whole thing which looked like a good original unit for restoration.   Back to  tripping over undone hot rod projects while looking for decent restoration projects...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Ugh, truck made it 70 years, too bad he didn't sell you the whole thing which looked like a good original unit for restoration.   Back to  tripping over undone hot rod projects while looking for decent restoration projects...

Yeah I know. Can't save em all, and a hot rod is better than a toaster.

No argument Frantz, truck looked like a good candidate for resto though.  Ironically, I have an affinity for Mopars from around 48 back, and have seen a few units where the idea was obviously to hot rod, but they did not get further than removing and discarding the original drivetrain.  Assuming nothing is cut, you could conceivably use your engine on something like that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

No argument Frantz, truck looked like a good candidate for resto though.  Ironically, I have an affinity for Mopars from around 48 back, and have seen a few units where the idea was obviously to hot rod, but they did not get further than removing and discarding the original drivetrain.  Assuming nothing is cut, you could conceivably use your engine on something like that

Sorta my thoughts. When he started talking hot rods I figured I'd focus on saving something from the scrap yard. As you can see here... my '37 cab really is rat rod material.... at best.... so even if I never use the dodge motor I'm keeping it from a probably fate with the crusher. (and you can't even see the "sunroof" rust hole in the roof of the cab here)

19095596_10158803053840481_3738074011130445139_o.jpg

Edited by Frantz (see edit history)