Polished brass light-what does it fit????

dlh61olds

Found at auction, It is stamped inside "Brown Mid-Lite"  E.A.M universal. It's in great condition and has what appears to be a stop/turn or tail light bulb with double element.

The bracket has two holes at the bottom of the bracket and what looks like a clamp for a bar on the other end.

Would like to know what it goes to.Hope someone needs it.

IMGP0001.JPG

IMGP0003.JPG

IMGP0004.JPG

IMGP0006.JPG

IMGP0008.JPG

IMGP0007.JPG

The outside of the back part of the light housing was likely painted black, originally. At least, most of them that I've seen from the period that employed electric light bulbs were painted black. 

I think someone has had too much fun polishing it. Although it does look quite pretty that way, it most probably is late '10s to mid '20s, and likely was painted black on the bucket and nickel plated on the rim. I have a nearly identical one in my parts pile. I would have to find it to see if it is the exactly same or not.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:11 PM, TheMoneyPit said:

It's an aftermarket center mount lamp to help illuminate the center of the road and typically mounted on a headlamp bar. The bracket looks very universal to any mounting use.

Almost.

Actually the oval lights were meant to throw a beam that was wider than it was tall. It was to help light up the sides of the road and  curving roads - much like the Pilot Rays did, but the oval lights were fixed to the head light cross bar of bumper, not turning with the steering like Pilot Rays did.

Here's a page from the 1931 Franklin accessory catalog, explaining how the "Oval-Lite" was intended to be used.

It says, "The broad beam of the Franklin Oval-Lite, sweeping the curves before you turned, will completely light both sides of the  road. On straight-away  you can enjoy relaxation and yet drive in perfect safety. The beam spreads out 100 feet wide, with a distance of 75 feet ahead of your car. ......"

Paul

Oval-lite.jpg

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)