55/56 suspension

junkyardjeff

In 55, at the start of production the base Clipper Deluxe and slightly upscaled Super both were regular suspension.  On Supers the TL became optional toward the middle to end of the production year and from most reports, the majority of Supers from then on were built with TL.  The Deluxe stayed regular.  The usually fairly well equipped Clipper Custom and all Packard models -- Four Hundred HT, Patrician Sedan and Caribbean Convertible were only offered with TL the entire year.  

In 56 all models had TL but there have been reports it was a delete option on the base Clipper so there could have been a few built without.  AFAIK, there are no records of how many might have been regular suspension in 56 but I doubt few if any.  It seems to have been a fairly well received suspension at the time and for something over 60 years old still gives comparatively little trouble today.

Guest SaddleRider
4 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

If I get one I am going to use it as a long distance driver and want the one with that would be simple to repair on the road if something would break.

A "long-distance" driver ?    From cars made over fifty years ago....?

May I suggest you are not being realistic ?     Packard products had a long and well-established tradition of being reliable.   Even those last Packards,  which had "build-quality" that was so bad it put the company out of business....were superb and reliable performers once properly prepared - you can read about a extreme speed ( I believe the average was over 104 mph)  test Packard performed at their factory's test track near Utica, Michigan...to underscore their superb long-distance capabilities.

But that was then, and this is now.   The problem with ANY old car is "parts and service support".    If my  current era Toyota or GMC "dualie" breaks in service on long distance trips....,  I am never far from both parts and service support.  

Is it fun to drive my big pre-war Packard all over the place ?    A properly reconditioned  Packard of ANY year, of ANY series, makes a delightful driver.  Sure!   And as for reliability,   other than vapor locking once in Hollywood Freeway traffic in 1956,  mine NEVER let me down!  ( electric fuel pump, installed on the side of the road that hot summer day.... solved that....!

But what happens if something breaks ?    I think about that occasionaly when enjoying my Packard on the occasional longer trips I take with it.   But not often... not on a regular basis.....that's why I have the GMC 3500 series Duramax/Allison "dualie.......you see...on most "long distance driver" trips I take with that Packard,  it is strapped down inside my trailer...and I sit up front with the air conditioning on......!

Any further questions...?

Edited by SaddleRider
(got to learn how to speelie...!) (see edit history)

I kind of agree with SaddleRider that you do need to be prepared when doing a long distance drive with a Packard.  Many do it but they also know the cars weak spots and take some of the more routine service parts along that might be hard to come by on the road..  Things like fuel or water pumps and of course, common ignition parts.

I doubt the TL itself would be an issue.  Aside from old rubber bushings which other cars can suffer with too, most TL problems are electrical in nature with probably the most likely culprit to fail being the brake light switch.  The original switch was a special 3 terminal which is not found except at vendors.  There are now options and kits are available to enable substitution of an ordinary 2 terminal switch.  Mechanical switches are also an option.   The control switch gives very little problem as does the other TL components but most are not found at Napa.   55 was more prone to issues because the electrical is completely under the car where it was subject to moisture and road debris issues.   In 56 all that was moved out of harms way.

In a V8 Packard, probably the one item that would give me pause on using one for long distance trips would be the Twin Ultramatic.  In good repair and driven with some degree of finesse, they will perform adequately but if anything was the weak spot in 55-6, that was it.  Finding parts or even someone willing to look at one in an emergency is not something you will likely find.  Many that want increased reliability have opted to convert to the GM 700R4.  If you are seriously considering a Packard for long distance, even with conventional suspension, I would opt for the conversion or a standard with OD equipped car.  

To a lesser extent, the power brakes are another item that some take issues with.  Packard used the Bendix TreadleVac and those have caused issues for some -- particularly when they have been sitting and then put into service. If you do get a car so equipped, make absolutely sure the entire unit is gone thru by a reputable rebuilder.  There are a few we can recommend.  Some who offer rebuilds have been found to do less than adequate jobs.

To be honest and do not want to ruffle anyones feathers but I doubt I would use the Packard drivetrain and would adapt modern brakes,I know there will be no parts available for the original drivetrain at todays parts stores and do not want to carry a trunk load of spares. I have a 55 Ford sunliner that I use for long distance trips with updated drivetrain and brakes that I drive 70 to 80 on trips to Florida but since its a convertible I can not lock it without the worry of a cut top so I am looking for a car to replace it and its going back to a more original drivetrain and will keep it local.                       I have been looking for a 55/56 Ford sedan or hardtop to use but have found I can get that year of Packard cheaper then a Ford or GM product of those years,since I am not very familiar with that torsion leveling system I would rather have the conventional system and go through it and do some updates so if there is a problem I will not be stranded for too long. If I do get one my plans are a stock looking Packard with modern drivetrain,brakes and electrical system so I can fly down the highway with little worries and I do not want to do what most would do and put another front suspension under it.                My 55 Ford has the original suspension and works just fine and feels like a mid 50s car which is what I would want to do to a Packard if one finds its way into my driveway,if quality issues with those years done the company in I will improve the car to my liking but its not going to be with all Packard parts. I do not own a trailer so it has to be driven

The more I think about it if the torsion leveling suspension can not be removed and the regular suspension bolted in I think I will go on to my other choice and look at late 50s Chrysler or Desotos since I do know the better brakes from the mid 60s will bolt on and slightly newer drivetrains can be made to work with out major surgery,I would love to have a mid 50s Packard and even though I could probably get one real reasonable the cost to make it the way I want it would bust my budget.

You may think about a 51-54 Packard. These cars have the same basic body and conventional suspension. The Ultramatic transmissions used then are also more reliable than the Twin Ultramatics used in the V8 cars. For your purposes I would avoid the Gear Start Ultramatic introduced at the end of the 1954 model year. It was a precurser to the Twin Ultramatic. Many 51-54s were equipped with manual shift transmissions with overdrive which makes a nice highway cruiser. I had a 1955 Super Clipper with manual transmission and standard suspension, but they are rare. JWL

• 3 weeks later...

As others have said, there's really nothing to break on a T-L equipped Packard that is not rusted out. The torsion bars aren't going anywhere, if they haven't already.  What you will miss out on is an incredible ride for a car of that vintage. Every T-L Packard in a junkyard is still sitting high and proud on its torsion bars.  

Better to bastardize something else, something more big 3-like. 

• 1 year later...
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:41 PM, HH56 said:

In 55, at the start of production the base Clipper Deluxe and slightly upscaled Super both were regular suspension.  On Supers the TL became optional toward the middle to end of the production year and from most reports, the majority of Supers from then on were built with TL.  The Deluxe stayed regular.  The usually fairly well equipped Clipper Custom and all Packard models -- Four Hundred HT, Patrician Sedan and Caribbean Convertible were only offered with TL the entire year.  

In 56 all models had TL but there have been reports it was a delete option on the base Clipper so there could have been a few built without.  AFAIK, there are no records of how many might have been regular suspension in 56 but I doubt few if any.  It seems to have been a fairly well received suspension at the time and for something over 60 years old still gives comparatively little trouble today.

A local man here in Huntington WV was told he could not buy a new Clipper in 1955 with conventional

suspension and standard manual transmission. He knew the Ultramatic was a bad idea and had no

use for weird suspension systems so he went to nearby Ashland Kentucky and bought justwhat he wanted off the'

show room floor and kept it for over 30 years. I bought a 1955 Patrician in 1959 that looked like new but I was

soon sorry about that purchase and have thought it was a sad day when a great car makers engineering fell flat

on its face and a year later the Detroit plant shut down forever.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:02 PM, junkyardjeff said:

To be honest and do not want to ruffle anyones feathers but I doubt I would use the Packard drivetrain and would adapt modern brakes,I know there will be no parts available for the original drivetrain at todays parts stores and do not want to carry a trunk load of spares. I have a 55 Ford sunliner that I use for long distance trips with updated drivetrain and brakes that I drive 70 to 80 on trips to Florida but since its a convertible I can not lock it without the worry of a cut top so I am looking for a car to replace it and its going back to a more original drivetrain and will keep it local.                       I have been looking for a 55/56 Ford sedan or hardtop to use but have found I can get that year of Packard cheaper then a Ford or GM product of those years,since I am not very familiar with that torsion leveling system I would rather have the conventional system and go through it and do some updates so if there is a problem I will not be stranded for too long. If I do get one my plans are a stock looking Packard with modern drivetrain,brakes and electrical system so I can fly down the highway with little worries and I do not want to do what most would do and put another front suspension under it.                My 55 Ford has the original suspension and works just fine and feels like a mid 50s car which is what I would want to do to a Packard if one finds its way into my driveway,if quality issues with those years done the company in I will improve the car to my liking but its not going to be with all Packard parts. I do not own a trailer so it has to be driven

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:02 PM, junkyardjeff said:

I live near Southern Ohio and for years a 55 Clipper roamed those roads and one day I came across it in a gas station

with the hood up and under that hood was a V8 Oldsmobile engine with Hydramatic. The owner said the Packard parts

were a major PITA and he cured them.

My 1951 Packard 200 was a basic,bare bones model 4 door. I bought it from the original owner

in 1988 for $300,replaced all 16 valves and drove it. I rebuilt the Ultramatic and made all new bronze

bushings for it including the bell housing bushing and it worked better than new because of the very

close tolerances I made the bushings to. These are not hard to rebuild IF oil pumps can be found

that will still work.

JunkyardJeff:

Glad to hear you hear you are seeking a Packard V8. I suggest you check the Various CL Pickings thread on the PackardInfo.com site, sign on for free and join in too. We regular participants search Craigslist weekly for current Packard listings, highlight those which strike us as worthy of consideration.   Many good '55-'56 models have been posted.  The advice to  be picky and buy the best one you can find for the price applies.  Good luck with your search, one will turn up with persistence.