wiper tower disassembly

filozof97

Hello;

I wonder- how to disassemble a wiper tower, to get it plated? I especially mean how to remove upper shaft (the one on which wiper arm is mounted). It's connected to the lower one with small chain; I already removed lover one but have no idea how upper is mounted. Any ideas?

If it doesn't have a set screw, try to get a hinge pin removal tool. Otherwise you may mess up the spline threads or break the collar. I wouldn't use screwdrivers or do any pounding on it.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

If it doesn't have a set screw, try to get a hinge pin removal tool.

I don't have any idea how that tool might be useful- it pushes pin from the other side, here it's impossible, so only way of removing it seems to be by pulling.

WD-40 might help but far better would be 50-50 ATF and acetone. Put a couple of drops on and leave. Come back in the evening and put a couple more on. After a couple of days, try pulling the nut off with puller as shown above.

BTW, screwdrivers are not pry bars. If you want to stuff your screws, use your screwdrivers for other jobs like scrapers, levers, chisels and so on. Then they will not fit the screws and will jump out and mangle the screw.

While I think that the 50-50 ATF and acetone is probably the best solvent, a quick and easy off the shelf product that is much better than WD40 is PB Blaster. It is my usual go to solvent for similar jobs. 

Here is a good test. PBB is not a lot better than WD-40...

http://rivperformance.editboard.com/t7128-penetrating-oil-comparison-test

This one gives the same results as well as the price per fluid oz.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20131.0

Machinist's Workshop magazine in their April 2007 issue.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Penetrating Oils

Machinist's Workshop Mag recently published some information on various penetrating oils that I found very interesting. Some of you might appreciate this. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts.

They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil         Average load
None                        516 pounds
WD-40                      238 pounds
PB Blaster               214 pounds
Liquid Wrench        127 pounds
Kano Kroil               106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix     53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.

Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is the best and you can also use ATF- lacquer thinner 50 - 50 mix.

ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid