Question about 1932 model 57 on CL

keninman

I am looking around to purchase a classic car to restore. I am set to meet with the owner of a 29 Marquette tomorrow but today I spotted this on Craigslist in West Virginia. 1932 Buick - $4500 (Parkersburg WV)

"1932 Buick four door sedan. Serial # 2806380. Body very solid. Straight eight over head valve engine. Needs restoration. Priced at $4,500.00 well below market value."

The asking price is $4500 which doesn't sound unreasonable. However the lights and mount don't match any picture of this car I can find. I am a complete newb but this makes me think that perhaps someone replaced some of the front end parts. What does everyone else think? I don't want to drive over 4 hours to WV for a car that probably isn't worth it. Thanks.

I will create a separate post about the Marquette. 

drivers side.jpg

front.jpg

tag.jpg

IF YOU BUY A CAR FOR 4500 DOLLARS YOU SHOULD EXPECT MANY THINGS TO BE WRONG OR MISSING. When you say you are looking for a car to restore that means to bring back to original which can be a major undertaking. Look at the 37 Buick restoration thread that is currently on this site. If you just want one that will run and that you can drive it is less work and money but still can be more work and money than you ever dreamed it could be. First thing is you should buy a car you like and know something about.

Thanks, Las Vegas Dave, I am looking for a car I can both drive recreationaly, learn about and restore over a number of years.  I am not looking to restore one to show condition, at least not quickly. I want to make it mechanically sound then work on completing it in sections. The Buick above appears to have 2013 plates which make me think it was drive-able recently. The tires in the pics don't look too bad either. I have contacted the owner by both text and left a voice message but have not heard back.

If the Buick will run it might be just the ticket. You should go there and drive it first before you make a decision. DRIVING it may change your mind or at the least will let you know if a later car might fit your needs better. The earlier cars had even worse brakes than the late thirties and early forties did and you may not like that. Maybe you will love it but my suggestion would be to drive it first. If you can afford it you should always buy the best you can afford. The old car hobby is filled with unfinished projects and dreams.

I did get to speak with the owner this evening on the phone. He added it to his collection in 09 but little to it and so it  ended up sitting indoors with his other cars. He did say it wasn't really his era as he preferred 40s and 50s cars but his wife liked it. 

The pics are from when he bought it in 09 and the man in the pic is the man he bought it from, now deceased. He said he has never heard it run but the man he bought it from did say it had been driven in a parade in 05. The 4 tires are like new, though he said one rear will leak off every few months but I am not sure about the spares. He also has the original lights that go on the front. The seats were not original but the foundations were there so he used those as patterns for new wood and purchased the correct seat springs. He did say there are some wood issues with at least one rear door and did not know how much else would need replaced. He also stated that he has the correct rack for the rear of the car and a second brake light. The man he bought it from told him that the main and rod bearings and the clutch had been replaced. I would image that was before 05. 

Edited by keninman
Left out a couple of things (see edit history)

I think the oddity with the grill is someone has spray painted it so you see the cross bars and the original lights that use the tie bar with the Buick emblem are missing. From the pics I can find the shape and radiator cap are right.  I searched trying to find the difference between the 57 and 57s. What jumps out at me are the spare tires. The pics of a 57 I found have the spare on the back. The 57s has a spare on each side.  Also the 57 has some sort of step plate that is not on the 57s and the model 57 pics that I found had wood rims not the wire. The tag says 57 so I am wondering if someone didn't use parts from a 57s to repair it or upgrade it in the past. 

57s.jpg

1932-buick-model-57-four-door-sedan-1.JPG

57 rear.JPG

57s rear.jpg

Bumper is not correct.  Horns and parking lights  are missing , the Pines winterfront is missing.  running boards are not correct.  I would suspect that this car was in  front end collision and was cobbled together with miscellaneous parts.  57S fenders and who know what headlights. I would check the frame for  damage.

Bob Engle

• Like 1

keninman,

I think you can take the two above "to the bank'. Why, because the 57S, Prince Blue Light, over Prince Blue Dark, is mine and is a BCA recognized Gold Senior, as I suspect is the other one, a 57.  There are many things wrong with the car you are considering, and I suspect just to find and replace the incorrect parts would be in the thousands of dollars, if that is the route.  My opinion is not worth more than $2000 if it is running, but who knows how bad.  Unless he has all correct bumpers, headlights and horns I would stay away.  If you are looking for a driver, as is, you can fix up to better along the way, and would consider a 1934, I can get you in contact with someone who has one.  But it will be more that $4500, for sure. And it is about 100% correct, two door coach.   Let me know by PM.

Incidentally, those photos cam from Hemmings Classic Car, June 2012 for the full article.

John