STARTIX

Guest mackdog

Guest mackdog

Does anyone have a procedure for by-passing the Startix. I just want the car to start.....

The normally closed contacts connected to the generator output should engage the starter when the key is on and gen output is zero. Once the output is established the starter will shut off. Look for a broken wire or a contact point burned or broken off. It fails to the start mode.

Are you near Rochester or Buffalo, New York?

Bernie

Just jump a power wire to the coil, disconnect the exsisting power wire to it. Then just push the plunger on the side of the startex. The plunger is a manuel over ride. As long as you coil has power the car will fire off. Ed

By the way.....and not trying to sound insulting. Most cars with a Startex are medium to very high end cars. If you are not familiar with the unit and how to bypass it without a diagram or instructions, you may want to get someone familiar with big pre war cars to help you in person. If the car has been sitting a long time, you need to check and do other things first. What year,make,and Series is it?

I am selling and electrical manual on Ebay that covers the wiring diagrams for cars in that era. The book is in the garage and I am in the house, but I think there is a chapter devoted to the Startix.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371935511367?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Ed, it has been a while, I forgot about the button.

Those cars also have an expensive starter armature, should one get a bit of a bow in it.

An index of Skinned Knuckles Magazine articles would also be a great resource for the Startix and many other period components.

Here's a Startix car that came it visit my Riviera while the frame was being sand blasted.

002.thumb.jpg.30ba8af406361099c8a7e6fdbee600a8.jpg

Bernie

• Like 1

I know that car well, and have driven it quite a bit. It's owned by a good friend of many years, Tony the Knife. ?

Guest mackdog

the car is a 1932 Pierce Arrow - Model 54 Brougham.. The wiring diagram indicates that the car is positive ground and 6 volts. So the battery connection to the Startix should be the negative terminal, yes? there is a wire that attaches to the front of the Startix that is also attached to the generator frame. there are 4 other wires. two on the left  and two on the right top of the Startix. I have not been able to trace where each goes. This looks like an adventure in its self. The car is in good working order and was starting and running until all of the sudden the key ignition stopped. If I hook up all the wires to the Startix and then put the battery terminals on the car turns over with the key off but will not start...

Guest mackdog

p.s. I live in a small down south of Gettysburg Penns., and west of Baltimore city called Eldersburg, Maryland..