For Sale: 1957 Roadie Model 75 Coupe

buick man

…. Just for kicks thought I would post this 57 Coupe that is being listed on epay … looks pretty nice at least someone went to great effort to paint the car and install a correct interior.  Engine bay is original and appears refreshingly  to have been untouched by spray can and glitter artists …. Comes up on Sunday and currently has 16 or so separate different bidders going away at it while the reserve is still not met ... Coral over Garnet … Seller claims rare due to number produced which is true but we realize that is so because the model 75 was a mid year ( March 57 ) release so it did not have a complete model year to develop the big sales numbers and most likely would of if this model would of been pitched right from the get go when the production run started in Sept of 1956 ...

Anyway, So what do ya all think the selling price will come in at on Sunday … or will the reserve perhaps not be met …. any thoughts regarding the car ? …. kinda think however this Buick is striking a buy me chord with the bidders so let's see what happens ….

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Buick-Roadmaster-75-/182553986326?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

590d53d44722a_AuctionforModel75.thumb.jpg.6ec1545f866597cfda9d7ea71eff7295.jpg590d53e17c80d_AuctionforModel75-2.thumb.jpg.f1ebf60192c807e5182eb2ef9b096347.jpg590d53ec3e7f9_AuctionforModel75-3.thumb.jpg.08769c220ffce04c41d0bb4bd567b8e1.jpg590d540a52f1d_AuctionforModel75-4.thumb.jpg.05aecaa6324b810a08f558c27714c475.jpg590d541824273_AuctionforModel75-5.thumb.jpg.86fe1fc24101606d79a5959dcfdaeb9d.jpg590d54222b183_AuctionforModel75-6.thumb.jpg.0b3e436b7054afb64e757fce391f474b.jpg590d542b68239_AuctionforModel75-7.thumb.jpg.2721dfc7878f117c5ee0530c99823a54.jpg590d54358f241_AuctionforModel75-8.thumb.jpg.a7248e2204fc1e6a7c5997c8a87e00fe.jpg590d543e3ae6f_AuctionforModel75-9.thumb.jpg.fbca05922e638a6ca2ab6559af043ea8.jpg590d5448b8121_AuctionforModel75-10.thumb.jpg.167ab1849c46308fb7faac3f00bee2b9.jpg590d5451ac4b5_AuctionforModel75-11.thumb.jpg.51ab58ad5f901e887080806f17f991bf.jpg  

• Like 1

… interesting observation regarding the A/C Pete and the seller says the components are all there ... yet per the photos, the dash does not support the needed A/C control just right of the steering wheel instead it has the non A/C heater/vent only control on the dash and not the needed A/C control assembly.  Can't tell from the photos, but the corner dash vents may or may not have the proper needed adjustable A/C vents there as well.  Perhaps someone was in the process of either converting to A/C or installed a heater/vent only control where the A/C/heat/vent control should be … kinda a mystery  ... 

John, you just may be right at 20k but at far less than it's true value IMO, because the interior, chrome and stainless are worth that alone and that's not counting the arts n crafts time, talent and materials needed to repaint the car as well … Oh and that is the correct material AND pattern for this car and if original must of had plastic covers over it for decades.  Either that it has was reupholstered sometime in the distant pass when this material was available because I have yet to find a source that can duplicate this pattern "AND" deliver on the promise to deliver the goods - my model 75 has the same interior and sure would like to know where they got their's ...

Edited by buick man (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have inquired about this car and seen pics of the data tag...it's not a factory AC car, but somebody started the conversion.  Also, it was originally solid garnet red.  If not for these items, I'd probably be a bidder.  If I bought it I'd be inclined to put it back to the way it came which would be too much expense on top of where selling price will end up.  Still, very nice solid car!

3 hours ago, buick man said:

...I have yet to find a source that can duplicate this pattern "AND" deliver on the promise to deliver the goods - my model 75 has the same interior and sure would like to know where they got theirs ...

Buick Man, have you tried SMS Auto Fabrics

in Oregon for your needed material?  They have

things that few others have--and I understand that

they can even make obsolete fabrics to order.

12 hours ago, buick man said:

John, you just may be right at 20k but at far less than it's true value IMO, because the interior, chrome and stainless are worth that alone and that's not counting the arts n crafts time, talent and materials needed to repaint the car as well … Oh and that is the correct material AND pattern for this car and if original must of had plastic covers over it for decades.  Either that it has was reupholstered sometime in the distant pass when this material was available because I have yet to find a source that can duplicate this pattern "AND" deliver on the promise to deliver the goods - my model 75 has the same interior and sure would like to know where they got their's ...

That interior has definitely been redone...if you zoom in you can see a different grain on the vinyl than is original, and same for dash and door panels, but it's been VERY nicely done I have to say.

• Like 1

… my gosh and not to mention all new rubber seals everywhere … so damn another "Low ballers in Springtime" tune being played apparently here once again … at this rate it never will meet the reserve … yeah the interior has been redone but you can pretend with this one that they have just taken off the old plastic covers and smile about it … the factory original material had silver thread randomly and sparsely mixed into the weave to give it that Electric Telstar Look so prominent in the late fifties found even on the fabric covering loud speakers as well … and this interior does not have that so yes it is new upholstery … and no I have yet to find anyone that can deliver an original thread and weave pattern even if they say they think they can … deliver is the operative word here …  and as long as I am being picky, notice the wind lace cloth at the window edges has been replaced with just rubber molding.  Another item is the painters painted over the engine bay fender bolts, not a real big deal but could of just removed them and replaced with temps while painting, then reconditioned the originals and reinstalled.

… Also notice the unique water manifold thermostat housing that has a bung molded and mounted in it for a temp pickup switch ...

• Like 1

…. well think of it as kinda refreshing for a change, cause you just know the spray can glitter crowd would just be Jonzing to shake, rattle and …. the engine bay … oh and no doubt the low ballers just did not even make it up to the curb level this time around far short to the upper level playing field this car belongs at … smart for the seller to hang in there … so what something like 67,000 Bel-Air 2 door hardtops produced for 1957 and in contrast some 2,400 R.M model 75's ...

If that paint scheme was original to the car, I would have bid past this.  I wonder if that affected bidding for the others interested?

The AC thing is less of an issue, except that redoing the dash and getting it to match would be a PITA.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Centurion said:

buick man and lancemb, I appreciate your expertise on the 1957 Buicks.  What are your thoughts on this currently listed Roadmaster 75?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232342582694?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

57rm-1.jpg

I saw this one.  It looks to be a very beautiful original car except for the paint.  On the outside, the wire wheels were not an official option in 57 but some were still dealer installed and they look great.  The headlight bezels should definitely be painted housings with chrome trim, not full chrome so those have been changed.  The interior and trunk appear to be correct and original (I have identical original interior and trunk in mine).  

However, the paint code shows GG, which is Dresden Blue top and bottom.  It does appear to be the correct repaint on top, but it did not come white on the bottom.  If that doesn't bother you then it's a great deal.  For me, I'd have to repaint it as original.  In fact, I'm about to acquire a very rough one just like this to restore but different colors (one of the things I love about it).

• Like 1

Thank you, lancemb!  Yes, I noticed the paint code as well, indicating a solid color.  Oddly, the listing indicates that the car was repainted in its original colors.  Clearly, this was not the case, although it is conceivable that the original owner had the two toning completed when the car was new.  Like you, I also require that a car's original color combination be preserved.