Rosie the Riveter Pictures - not car related

Mark Gregory

I guess my opinion of Elizabeth is a bit misinformed. I just assumed born with a silver spoon and hand fed. I had no idea that she actually played her part in the great war. I looked carefully at those photos and I believe they were not "publicity" shots but actual photos of her serving her country.

She now has her rightful place in the "Greatest Generation" for this I applaud effort and part in winning the war. There were many boys and girls on this side of the pond that also played their part big and small. They too did their part for the "Great War" and its astounding victory.

To all those that did their part on both sides of the oceans, we of the younger generations owe you so much. You gave so much for so many, a simple thank you seems hardly enough.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brasscarguy said:

I guess my opinion of Elizabeth is a bit misinformed. I just assumed born with a silver spoon and hand fed.

I didn't know, either, that Princess Elizabeth

served in World War II.  However, I understand

that their family is far from the mythical "silver spoon"

type.  Her father, King George VI, was extremely

active administratively during the war--the monarchy

had more involvement in running the government then--

so much so that the stress was almost unbearable

and his health was compromised.

And current Prince Harry was in combat in the Iraq War.

Great pictures. We should be proud of the sacrifices made by the women during this time. Not to throw cold water, but some of the pics look staged to me. I can not imagine them being allowed to wear jewelry and no safety equipment, soft hands, fresh clothes, no grime. Still great reminders if the critical roles they played.

• Like 1

Most of us grew up with the impression that this was the first time this happened when actually it occurred in the previous generation as well:

http://www.motorcities.org/Story/Spotlight+on+Women+of+the+Maxwell+Motor+Car+Company+br+By+Robert+Tate+Automotive+HistorianResearcher+br+Images+Courtesy+of+the+National+Automotive+History+Collection-391.html

Howard Dennis

Women at Maxwell late 1917 1.jpg

Women at Maxwell late 1917 2.jpg

Women at Maxwell late 1917 3.jpg

Women at Maxwell late 1917 4.jpg

Women at Maxwell late 1917 5.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fleek said:

Great pictures. We should be proud of the sacrifices made by the women during this time. Not to throw cold water, but some of the pics look staged to me. I can not imagine them being allowed to wear jewelry and no safety equipment, soft hands, fresh clothes, no grime. Still great reminders if the critical roles they played.

I felt the same way - they were too clean and the way they were holding the tools looked "staged"  I know many women worked hard, so not to belittle that, but these photos weren't taken while they were working on the line.  Heck, the painter didn't even have paint on her brush lol