My English teacher's red pen would be on fire with this Ad.

auburnseeker

On 3/1/2017 at 8:41 AM, kgreen said:

The most common language in the world?  I didn't see any Chinese in that advertisement.

English is spoken in far more countries than Chinese (67 vs 6), but Chinese is spoken by far more people than English (14.5% vs 5.5% of world population). Similarly, more people understand English than speak it. Depends on how you want to define "most common language."

Otherwise, I must be in the minority in that I almost never get ruffled over poor spelling, grammar, etc., online, but perhaps that's because I've been using computers most of my life, also texting and the like. With autocorrect coming onto the scene a few years ago it changed everything and you can be made to look foolish if your fingers are simply too fat for the touch-screen's keyboard. To most people under the age of 40 or so, I'd say these things are essentially unimportant in everyday informal communication (remember "text speak" such as "lol brb omg") because it so easily happens to us all when you're sending dozens, if not hundreds, of texts, emails and such every day. That's not to say the younger folks are uneducated or don't care, we simply reserve it for formal or business settings by and large. In the example of this ad, I would probably have made more of an effort as well if I were posting it, but I would also probably be the guy who calls anyway if it was something I was interested in and be quite happy that the grammar was enough to rid me of a large portion of my buying competition.

• Like 2

I married a girl with a major in English and who became a librarian. I have a daughter who also majored in English and my son took up media communications. We share these things and enjoy them.

I am probably the worst at taking things literally. Back in 1968 we got our first phone in the house. I was fresh out of Navy boot camp and my Mom decided we needed it in case I wanted to call home, pretty close to the guy who got his first pair of shoes from Uncle Sam. Anyway, I still, distinctly remember the frustration of my early experiences. Someone would tell a number like 637-3301. "Six three seven three three oh one." Well, the oh is right between N and P! The other one, clearly has "Operator" written under it! I didn't want the Operator. And had a really tough time making those first calls.

Even today I get in trouble taking a person's comments literally.

Oh, I shared that ad with a friend. He didn't know you could still get LSD.

Bernie

• Like 1

When we drove to New Hampshire for the Glidden we crossed into the US from Ontario. I refuse to drive in Quebec as most everyone there drives like an incompetent taxi driver. One of the fellows that came on the tour with us decided to go through Quebec being a faster route until he was stopped by the QPP ( equivalent to State Trooper ). Held him there for two Hr. and even doing a full safety inspection on his 2016 Denali diesel besides the trailer. So much for being a faster route if you have Ontario plates on your vehicle.   

Sorry for being political. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

like an incompetent taxi drive

I used to say someone was "like" whatever the thought was at the moment. Then I realized most of the the they were "like" anything. They were the actual 100% certifiable genuine article. And that goes for ALL the possibilities of what they might be "like". So the QPP was not acting like anything, he was the genuine article.

Bernie

On February 28, 2017 at 1:59 PM, trimacar said:

In reality, buyers are much pickier these days, and without knowing some details, may not even call on the car.  Calling on a car where the price isn't listed, or the seller won't tell you the price in the first minute of conversation, is wasted effort in most cases.  I once called on a car I was very interested in at a fair price, the seller went on and on about details that, in his mind, made his car worth more, and in the end quoted an asking price about three times market (and this was after almost an hour on the phone!).

Yikes!

When I was looking for my Mercury GM, when I saw ads similar to this, I just continued on, even if it was a car I liked.  The 1st couple times I didn't, & paid for it dearly, in terms of wasting time. The 03MGM I have, the ad was very succinct, the pics were on point & the car was exactly as advertised.  Nothing like a bit of time to post a "clean" ad to help get a car sold.....

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc

"Something's wrong in the world today" | Aerosmith | 'Living On The Edge'

I agree, succinct is the exact word.  Describe the car, pictures, note good and bad, and state location and price.  NOW, one who might have interest can move forward.

I've bought a lot of cars, and can't stand when seller says "make an offer"....the seller knows a dollar figure that's on his mind, he should state it, and then the discussion can either continue or (as I've done many times) the would-be buyer can walk away.

Sometimes the asking price, expectation, is so out of this world that one knows that it's useless to talk.  Then again, sometimes the figure is LESS than one might offer, that's happened to me, and you still can negotiate.

Again, a lot of sellers think 20 buyers will show up on their doorstep the next day after posting an ad.  Not going to happen, in most cases...