36 buick won't restart

rlcokc

My 36 model 40 at shop--I am not much of a mechanic.

Wanted everything tested before taking grandkid out for a drive. Problem developed-car seems to start without issue but after warming up and then turning off it won't restart. I"m told a whirring sound, if that's a word, coming from starter. I've given them a spare starter but haven't heard back. We discussed an additional ground to the block as that was a suspected problem. Anyone have a suggestion or encountered similar problem? Appreciate any suggestions or ideas.

Rod

I don't have a 36, I have a 38 but they are similar. I think we need more information before you can get any useful help. Does the engine seem to spin over at the same speed when it is hot as when it is cold when starting motor is engaged? When you say HOT do you mean operating temperature (180) or hotter. If the starter is dragging

meaning it spins very slowly then it is a completely different problem than if it spins the motor at the normal speed yet the motor does not start. 

Edited by LAS VEGAS DAVE (see edit history)

A whirring sound from the starter would almost have to be a starter motor running without the bendix engaging the flywheel.  It's hard for me to see how this could be happening unless the solenoid plunger is sticking or not powered and therefore not moving the starter gear to engage the flywheel.  Somebody can help me recall this correctly, but I believe that the starter's solenoid does two things simultaneously; it pulls the major contacts together (that gives battery power to the starter motor) and it pushes out a plunger that mechanically leverages the bendix into position.  There may be some points-like contact(s) under that solenoid cover that may not be acting correctly when it is hot.  If this were mine to deal with, I'd first remove the solenoid cover and see if I could watch those points do their thing.  I wish I were looking at it as I can't seem to recall how feasible this would be but my bet is that the problem is in that area.  Maybe others will know.  Good Luck.

Joel

Rod,

My 36 Model 40 does something similar.  It will start just fine and then I drive it around for 10 or 15 minutes until it gets up to normal operating temperature.  If I shut it off at that point I can't get it to restart.  The bendix engages but the starter won't turn, almost like the battery is dead.  It can be push started with ease.  If I let it cool down for a while then it will start right up again.  Never have been able to figure it out.

Greg

34 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

If the starter is whirring but the engine is not turning over it sounds like a broken starter drive.

He said,

9 hours ago, rlcokc said:

Problem developed-car seems to start without issue but after warming up and then turning off it won't restart.

Rod

So unlikely a broken starter motor.

4 hours ago, groselle said:

Rod,

My 36 Model 40 does something similar.  It will start just fine and then I drive it around for 10 or 15 minutes until it gets up to normal operating temperature.  If I shut it off at that point I can't get it to restart.  The bendix engages but the starter won't turn, almost like the battery is dead.  It can be push started with ease.  If I let it cool down for a while then it will start right up again.  Never have been able to figure it out.

Greg

While the initial poster in this discussion sounds like he may have an issue with the starter drive, I suspect your problem is an issue with the cables in the starting system. A poor connection somewhere in the system or a new too small battery cable designed for a 12 volt system won't flow enough current to turn the engine over with the higher compression of the warm engine. Often a dirty ground connection causes similar symptoms too. I would disassemble, clean, and reassemble all of the connections in the starter circuit. I would also change the battery cables making sure to use the proper size cables. Off the shelf auto parts house cables are probably too small for a 6 volt system.

The original poster said the car started, the next time there was a whirring noise.  The last time it started was probably the final fling for the starter drive.  That's how they let go. 

Appreciate all the replies. Not sure what the problem was but the car now starts and restarts after being at operating temperature. They think may be carburetor problem but that makes no sense to me. I wasn't clear in initial post but the car would start right up and after reaching operating temperature it would not restart without cooling down. Thanks again for the help.

Rod

On 2/27/2017 at 2:06 PM, groselle said:

My 36 Model 40 does something similar.  It will start just fine and then I drive it around for 10 or 15 minutes until it gets up to normal operating temperature.  If I shut it off at that point I can't get it to restart.  

Grossele:

I had the same problem with my '36 Special.  I rebuilt the carburetor, new brushes in the starter . . . no change.  Even though I had 6V battery cables on the car I went to an automotive electrical shop and had them make up 2/0 battery cables (positive and negative) made out of welding cable.  That cured the problem.  FYI.

I had this problem for a brief time last summer. it threw me at first since I had pretty much gone thru the battery and charging system with a fine tooth comb. When I looked at the pos cable and was jiggling it to see if it was loose on the battery the cable popped out of the terminal! It had not been properly crimped! This surprised me as it had come from a usually reliable Buick parts house. Anyhow I said a bunch of bad words and went up to Pep Boys and got another cable (was able to get 2 gauge anyhow). Now I am collecting parts to make 2/0 cables.

Cheers, Dave