CAR FOUND: '65 TO '69 CORVAIR MONZA COUPE

Here is a picture of one from google images.  I see what you mean by the side window. 

To copy photos,  place the cursor over the photos after you have clicked on it then right click for a drop down menu of options,  then select copy image.  Place the cursor on the message you are creating and right click again then select paste.   It doesn't work with every image but most.  

Image result for yenko corvair

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 0:10 AM, auburnseeker said:

Unfortunately this one just turned up but it probably has 2 many doors for you although it is an automatic hardtop with supposably original paint and interior touting 38419 original miles and a 30 year slumber in a climate controlled garage for $4900 with some fresh mechanicals to make it roadworthy. 

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/6152083263.html

00C0C_dq6qhosKia2_600x450.jpg00w0w_lEZ7aC3PE0s_600x450.jpg

00N0N_cPiLjmzmpsd_600x450.jpg00f0f_ntWcuZH7yp_600x450.jpg00L0L_istMZ51oANJ_600x450.jpg00909_lGOCYsrzid8_600x450.jpg

I have been advised there is no title for a 1965 vehicle in the state of New York. If accurate, what does New York use for proof of ownership in the state of New York ?

5 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Here is a picture of one from google images.  I see what you mean by the side window. 

To copy photos,  place the cursor over the photos after you have clicked on it then right click for a drop down menu of options,  then select copy image.  Place the cursor on the message you are creating and right click again then select paste.   It doesn't work with every image but most.  

Or perhaps this "Fitch" version.    http://www.corvaircorsa.com/fitch.html

5 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

ESTIMATE

$35,000 - $50,000

HIGHLIGHTS

• Yenko Corvair Stinger Serial #097
  • Yenko built 100 Corvair Stingers to homologate for SCCA racing
  • Total production was approximately 185 cars over 15 years
  • Yenko Stage I conversion with quad carburetors
  • Iconic Yenko Stinger stripes and badging
  • Black bucket seat interior
  • 4-speed manual transmission
  • Believed to be less than 25,000 original miles
  • Beautiful restoration
  • The Corvair Stinger was the car that started it all for Don Yenko

Unable to compete successfully against Carroll Shelby’s new GT350 in SCCA Production racing, Corvette racer Don Yenko decided to race using a modified version of Chevrolet’s Corvair. In a one-month period in late 1965, Yenko modified 100 new Corvairs with various performance improvements to homologate them for SCCA competition (a total of 185 were eventually built over the course of 15 years, demonstrating the strength of Yenko’s original concept). Corsa models were delivered to Yenko from the factory equipped with the 164 CI flat six, heavy duty suspension, four speed transmission, quick steering, Positraction differential and dual brake master cylinders. Yenko tuned the engines to produce four levels of power from 160 to 240 HP and performed body and mechanical modifications to qualify the car for D Production. Dubbed the “Yenko Stinger,” the car marked the beginning of the Yenko performance juggernaut. In the marque’s first race in January 1966, a Yenko Stinger missed winning by one second; Stingers won Central and Northeast Division Championships in the hands of Dr. Dick Thompson and Jim Spencer respectively, with several others placing well in the points. The 1966 Corvair Yenko Stinger Stage 1 offered here is serial number 097 of the first 100 cars, and is listed in the Yenko Stinger Registry as having been originally owned by sportsman racer and all-around character Anatoly Arutunoff. Finished in White with the distinctive Blue Yenko livery and a Black bucket seat interior, it was built with the quad single-4 barrel 160 HP Stage 1 setup and a 4-speed manual transmission. It is beautifully restored and shows fewer than 25,000 original miles, a wonderful example of the car that started it all for Don Yenko.

Information found on the website is presented as advance information for the auction lot. Photos, materials for videos, descriptions and other information are provided by the consignor/seller and is deemed reliable, but Mecum Auction does not verify, warrant or guarantee this information. The lot and information presented at auction on the auction block supersedes any previous descriptions or information. Mecum is not responsible for information that may be changed or updated prior to the auction. The decision to purchase should be based solely on the buyers personal inspection of the lot at the auction si

1966-Yenko-Corvair-for-sale-front11.jpg

1966-Yenko-Corvair-for-sale-rear11.jpg

In NY you get a transferable registration on a vehicle of this age.  It changed to title on the late 1970's and newer cars.   You just need to be sure that the registration says transferable on the front and that the back doesn't have any names on it written in unless it's that of the seller and the buyer is left unmarked.  If there is any name in the buyer spot,  that is a big headache unless the buyer name is the person selling it,  then tell them to go to DMV and get a new one issued in their name.  Most people just don't, trying to get out of paying sales tax.   

Your state may also require a notarized bill of sale along with the registration.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

In NY you get a transferable registration on a vehicle of this age.  It changed to title on the late 1970's and newer cars.   You just need to be sure that the registration says transferable on the front and that the back doesn't have any names on it written in unless it's that of the seller and the buyer is left unmarked.  If there is any name in the buyer spot,  that is a big headache unless the buyer name is the person selling it,  then tell them to go to DMV and get a new one issued in their name.  Most people just don't, trying to get out of paying sales tax.   

Your state may also require a notarized bill of sale along with the registration.  

A.S., All great info and thank you. 

This N.Y. 4 door appears to be a legitimate low miler .... spoke at length with the owner this evening. He will be sending more pics in 2 days. I would imagine Monza buckets or other buckets could be located to replace the bench seat. The 500 has rubber mat flooring, repro carpet is available. It could work for me, at a modest price. We'll see what the other pics show on Thursday.

Unfortunately hopewell junction is atleast about 3 and 1/2 hours one way from me.  A little closer and I could scope it out for you if you narrowed it down to a top contender and needed a set of eyes to look at it. I may know where some corvair buckets are if you can't find a set,  but shipping might be a problem.  If the car was closer you could probably wrap them in a packing blanket and put them upside down in the back seat for transport. 

I think there is a member on here near Rhinebeck which would be an hour or so away.   I imagine you could post in the general section and find out if need be. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Unfortunately hopewell junction is atleast about 3 and 1/2 hours one way from me.  A little closer and I could scope it out for you if you narrowed it down to a top contender and needed a set of eyes to look at it. I may know where some corvair buckets are if you can't find a set,  but shipping might be a problem.  If the car was closer you could probably wrap them in a packing blanket and put them upside down in the back seat for transport. 

I think there is a member on here near Rhinebeck which would be an hour or so away.   I imagine you could post in the general section and find out if need be. 

A.S., Thanks for the reply, we'll see how these other pics look. There is mention of ROOF damage, want to get a better look at that, in the upcoming pics.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:21 PM, countrytravler said:

Seller’s Description: CHEVROLET: 1966 Corvair 110 4-dr hardtop, auto, bronze w/cream interior, excellent condition, all new mechanicals, turn key and go, asking $7,500. 770-735-2693, GA; for pics:

Price: $7,500 

I finally was able to make contact with this seller this week.

Pics were sent to me, the car looked nice to my wife and myself. 

Have been considering a nice Coupe, as well. 

Contacted the owner of the above 4 door hardtop, told him I was making a decision between his car and a coupe, asked him when we could see his 4 door hardtop car.

Owner replied, stating the car has been stored for a year, it needs to be cleaned and serviced before viewing.

He THEN stated  we would not be able to test drive the car  because the plates had expired. Are you kidding ? I thought.

Seller stated he would not clean and service the car unless I was THE committed buyer, then told me a transport of some sort would be needed to take the car home ..... no reason given. 

What happened to the "turn key and go", as stated in the ad ?

Guess you know the rest of the story, if we are not permitted to drive the car and if the car must be transported off the property ..... that equals a no cash deal from me.

The sellers description didn't mention all the "oh, by the way" comments.

We will continue to make arrangements to see the coupe we found.

Never thought an idea to buy a Corvair  could get so tough.

A true adventure !

Edited by bobg1951chevy
wording. (see edit history)

From the original ad,  they all seem promising.  Sorry to have wasted your time.  I wish people were straight up front.  That has always been my pet peeve.  When directly asked questions,  there should be no real gray area.  it is or isn't what you are representing.  I always ask about rust and get vague answers.  Especially when they tell me it's solid.  Meaning what,  solid rust?  If i ask you how the quarters are on a car,  don't you think the first thing I am going to look at is the quarters,  if that model is known for rusty quarters and you tell me they are perfect.   I know if a seller is not a real car person,  then they may not know if a quarter has been replaced or something similar.  I've had people school me on cars I have sold,  and I'm usually very upfront, especially if you are driving any distance.  My time and yours is valuable.  I don't want to waste either persons.  If you are coming to look at the car and are serious,  You will probably go home with it.  

I'll keep my eyes open.  Seems every one of these have a story.  Sorry for the bumb lead.  

14 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

From the original ad,  they all seem promising.  Sorry to have wasted your time.  I wish people were straight up front.  That has always been my pet peeve.  When directly asked questions,  there should be no real gray area.  it is or isn't what you are representing.  I always ask about rust and get vague answers.  Especially when they tell me it's solid.  Meaning what,  solid rust?  If i ask you how the quarters are on a car,  don't you think the first thing I am going to look at is the quarters,  if that model is known for rusty quarters and you tell me they are perfect.   I know if a seller is not a real car person,  then they may not know if a quarter has been replaced or something similar.  I've had people school me on cars I have sold,  and I'm usually very upfront, especially if you are driving any distance.  My time and yours is valuable.  I don't want to waste either persons.  If you are coming to look at the car and are serious,  You will probably go home with it.  

I'll keep my eyes open.  Seems every one of these have a story.  Sorry for the bumb lead.  

No one ever needs to apologize to me for a  "bum" lead, none of us know what is behind the printed text.

I'm just "happy" to get leads that I don't see or hear about.

Distance traveled ...... My wife and I traveled to Charleston S.C., about 250 miles one way.

BEFORE making the trip, I specifically asked the owner about the numbers on the title matching ..... or not matching the serial number on the Corvair.

Owner said everything matched.

We made the trip and you must know the first thing I checked.

The numbers on the title were missing two digits, when compared to the serial number on the car.  :- (

That would simply not fly in NC.

That was 2 months ago, owner was to get title work straightened out at his SC DMV.

Never an update from owner, car is still currently advertised, at a lower price.

Edited by bobg1951chevy
wording. (see edit history)

1 hour ago, bobg1951chevy said:

The numbers on the title were missing two digits, when compared to the serial number on the car.  :- (

That would simply not fly in NC.

That is for sure! NC has gotten much harder to deal with on title transfers from other states. Thirty years ago, no problem - they didn't even want to see the car back then.

It's now early June, I initially wrote my "want to buy" post 4 months ago, and am still looking for the "right Corvair" for my wife and myself.
We have learned a lot on this search .... some funny stuff, some not so funny stuff.
Update on choices ...... Must be '65 to '69 Corvair models.

First choice is a Monza Coupe, second choice is a Monza 4 door hardtop, third choice is a Monza Convertible.
Corvair must have PowerGlide, must be a well maintained,  turn key car.
Price must coincide with the overall condition of the car being sold ..... meaning no $10K price tags on a vehicle needing another $10K in work.
A clear, clean title with IDENTICAL NUMBERS ON THE TITLE AND THE CAR is a must.
No reconditioned cars with SALVAGE TITLES, etc., or any cars with "STATE ISSUED SERIAL NUMBERS".
We are CASH buyers.
We are in western North Carolina near Asheville, cars for sale close by is good, not so close will also be seriously considered.
I have welcomed any and all contacts, but please make contact only if you're serious about selling a nice car or know of a nice Corvair out there.

If your husband or wife has a say in the selling of the car, please have their permission BEFORE you make contact with me.
No evening orchid color.
P.M. here  or an email to me at; bobg1951chevy@ellijay.com
My wife and I are retired folks, our 2 beautiful '51 Chevys 2 doors are now for sale, since my "clutch knee " is not so good any longer.
We are also downsizing and selling our one owner (us) 2009 Chevy Traverse 8 passenger SUV with a pampered 89K.
Immaculate in and out.
My wife cannot physically handle the non power steering and non power brake"51's, so an automatic for me and an easy steering and stopping car for her makes our choice a Corvair.
Thanks for taking your time to read this.
Bob.

Edited by bobg1951chevy (see edit history)

I was wondering how your search was going as I haven't seen any lately that fit the criteria initially.   

Something will probably turn up when you least expect it. 

I'll forward anything good I see.  I still see new ones daily but they don't fit the want list for one reason or another. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

This was just listed.  It must have issues at the price.  

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/6172731156.html

I'll add the phone number from the Ad as it may get deleted by an interested party. 

203 589 6860 jose

Either the car has a big issue, or the dead owner is still in the trunk.  Worth a call though.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Thanks Dave, Actually spoke to this gent a bit earlier. He's in Boise Idaho, plan to speak to him later this afternoon / evening.

Looks to be a decent car. I could not share the link with my cell phone. Good luck. This 61 was at our BBQ sat. It's a hot rod. And he sold the car I think.

20170610_163700.jpg

20170610_163712.jpg

20170610_163720.jpg

20170610_163725.jpg

20170610_163730.jpg

20170610_163756.jpg

Here's a possible Corvair candidate that seems to fit the search parameters.  1965 Corvair Monza coupe with a 95 hp motor and power glide transmission.  It was restored by a retired GM engineer and has a 13 page personal log on recipes and rebuilds.  14,500 miles on rebuilt motor.  It has a dual master cylinder.  5 year old tires with less than 2000 miles on them.  Price is $7400 or best offer.  Car is located in Northern Michigan.  Call or text at (231) 633-0382.     Also, check it out on the Northern Michigan Craigslist. http://nmi.craigslist.org/cto/614856884.1html  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KVP said:

Here's a possible Corvair candidate that seems to fit the search parameters.  1965 Corvair Monza coupe with a 95 hp motor and power glide transmission.  It was restored by a retired GM engineer and has a 13 page personal log on recipes and rebuilds.  14,500 miles on rebuilt motor.  It has a dual master cylinder.  5 year old tires with less than 2000 miles on them.  Price is $7400 or best offer.  Car is located in Northern Michigan.  Call or text at (231) 633-0382.     Also, check it out on the Northern Michigan Craigslist. http://nmi.craigslist.org/cto/614856884.1html  

Sounds like a nice car.

2 hours ago, KVP said:

Sounds like a good candidate, but could not open anything on craigslist link.

Had a 1964 Monza convertible for 20 years with the 95 hp powerglide combo.  Was skeptical about adequate power before I bought it, but it had surprisingly good low end grunt and was a really smooth running trouble free motor. It cruised well at highway speeds.  Members of  our local Corvair club often commented about how well it ran.  I believe that the '65 Corvair on Craig's list that I posted is in the Petoskey, MI area where we have a summer place.  I'm there frequently.  Could probably do an eyes on for you if that would help with the info gathering process.

5 hours ago, KVP said:

Had a 1964 Monza convertible for 20 years with the 95 hp powerglide combo.  Was skeptical about adequate power before I bought it, but it had surprisingly good low end grunt and was a really smooth running trouble free motor. It cruised well at highway speeds.  Members of  our local Corvair club often commented about how well it ran.  I believe that the '65 Corvair on Craig's list that I posted is in the Petoskey, MI area where we have a summer place.  I'm there frequently.  Could probably do an eyes on for you if that would help with the info gathering process.

KVP,

I sent the '65 Monza contact person, (probably the son of the GM Engineer) a Craigslist reply yesterday, 6-12.

I have not heard back from him, at this point.

If he responds with positive feedback, I would certainly appreciate your time, if you could do an "eyes on" for me.

Certainly, I would reimburse you for time and travel.

Thanks for your offer !

Bob.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:52 PM, bobg1951chevy said:

A  $1500  charge for coast to coast transport, or .55 to .60 per loaded mile,  would be something  I've not found anywhere yet.

Long after a high price is paid for a job the job is forgotten,,,,,,, sometimes the cheapest price if not most of the time, will give you memories that will last a lifetime, never good ones.

If I found a price that cheap I would just move on to one that is line with everyone else, the norm is around 95 cents to $1.25 a mile. You get what you pay for and some times even get less

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 2