bobg1951chevy

CAR FOUND: '65 TO '69 CORVAIR MONZA COUPE

Recommended Posts

I was doing hauls from hurricane Andrew in Homestead FL in 92.

I would haul cars from Fl to Mo and backhaul portable mobile offices back to FL with my 4 car rollback.

ac3b11b26650b6af8a3ea1847849de2e.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, countrytravler said:

They are farming their work to other carriers. They are brokers. Victoria, How much is transport and the broker fee when you had your cars moved? Do they break it down for you? What is the carriers name on the door when you have a car transported? I find carriers when I'm driving around town at car lots loading or unloading cars. Also, check truck stops and cruise the internet for independents. When I have a tough move, had one from my shop (Northern CA) to ND, the hardest move to do, I ran an ad on UShip and got it moved by a single trailer for 700.00. He was going there to pick a car up that he bought. I was getting prices from 1800.00 to 2k. Also on claims, some truck ins companies will not pay out a claim unless the car has ins. Never happened to me but it happened to others. My 1st new truck pictured when I was based in Coral Springs FL. 1996 Volvo.

18582339_174928376370115_1529975051473808479_n.jpg

18698179_176641342865485_6169014949190819771_n.jpg

2bf4d72c-2e25-4df6-99f3-571bed0d55b1.jpg

If a person had a "nice" vehicle to be transported, I could not see using a multi-car carrier, thinking of all the possible paint damage from dripping fluids from the cars above.  Enclosed would have to be the way to go, I'm thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bobg1951chevy said:

If a person had a "nice" vehicle to be transported, I could not see using a multi-car carrier, thinking of all the possible paint damage from dripping fluids from the cars above.  Enclosed would have to be the way to go, I'm thinking.

Not really. Inclosed have damage also. Much tighter space. How do you think new cars get to the dealerships? I have had million dollar cars on my truck with no problems. That is why you find an owner operator. They are the most careful compare to just a guy driving a truck for a living. Here are some loads that I did over the years.

2016-06-07 08_50_26-(no subject) - dave@dodgecityvintage.com - Dodge City Vintage Mail.jpg

2016-06-07 08_54_54-New notification.jpg

12919646_1202342073109202_4538432028663777384_n.jpg

f25fd17e-67b5-4165-894e-fe525e5d96b8.jpg

inbox_14857__draft_1441332495816.jpeg

1674faf6-930d-49ed-8869-2e5c0eca2da9.jpg

20150827_091301.jpg

20150827_091314.jpg

20160121_152601.jpg

20160121_164846.jpg

20160121_164857.jpg

unnamed (25).jpg

My car hauler (4).JPG

My car hauler (7).JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Country Travler,

I'm retired from 35 years with GM (Chevrolet Division).

I understand how the vehicles get to the dealership, more importantly I really understand the dollars spent by GM and various carriers on "transportation claims".

When I saw the posted car carrier pic a few posts back ...... it lit up my memories of fluid damage to paint, body damage from swinging chains or lack of chains, etc.

A giant P.I.T.A., for all those involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Country Travler,

I'm retired from 35 years with GM (Chevrolet Division).

I understand how the vehicles get to the dealership, more importantly I really understand the dollars spent by GM and various carriers on "transportation claims".

When I saw the posted car carrier pic a few posts back ...... it lit up my memories of fluid damage to paint, body damage from swinging chains or lack of chains, etc.

A giant P.I.T.A., for all those involved.

 New cars for the most do not leak fluids. You check the car for leaks and if its a leaker, you load on the bottom. I have hauled about 20k vehicles with 2 claims for leaks. One a Rolls leaked brake fluid on the bottom car. The Rolls just came from a 5k brake overhaul. The repair shop paid the claim. Another one was a 1940s battery tipped and acid washed a Benz.  The damage cars that you repaired were company drivers with day cabs that would hold up to 15 cars. They worked on volume and you had so many minutes to load and unload. I would not hire one of these drivers because of their lack of careful skills. These guys made good money being in the union. I was hauling new Vetts 9 at a time. They would hire us because our damage rate was very low. I have also owned a collision shop in MI and the cars that we would get from the overflow from dealers that were transport related.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another trick is if you have a leaker. you spread dove soap on the bottom car and to the vinyl and convertible tops. Then fluids would not penetrate the soap.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Country Travler,

I'm retired from 35 years with GM (Chevrolet Division).

I understand how the vehicles get to the dealership, more importantly I really understand the dollars spent by GM and various carriers on "transportation claims".

When I saw the posted car carrier pic a few posts back ...... it lit up my memories of fluid damage to paint, body damage from swinging chains or lack of chains, etc.

A giant P.I.T.A., for all those involved.

Chains are no longer used. If they are using chains, they are behind times. I stop using chains 10 years ago.

2017-05-24 16_42_51-Automotive Wheel Tie Downs - Heavy Duty 5,000 lb _ Discount Ramps.png

2017-05-24 16_44_43-Erickson Trailer Cargo Control 77314 Review Video _ etrailer.com.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was loading a car at a terminal and next to me was an enclosed hauler that was loading a Bently. He forgot to raise the roof of his trailer and he ran the car into the top of the trailer. WOOOPS!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting article about car hauling.

1 hour ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Country Travler,

I'm retired from 35 years with GM (Chevrolet Division).

I understand how the vehicles get to the dealership, more importantly I really understand the dollars spent by GM and various carriers on "transportation claims".

When I saw the posted car carrier pic a few posts back ...... it lit up my memories of fluid damage to paint, body damage from swinging chains or lack of chains, etc.

A giant P.I.T.A., for all those involved.

And you would not have any work if not for the car haulers. They kept food on your table. And the cars that were also damaged that came off the assembly line. Let's not forget about those. HEHE!! Your welcome. LOL!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Here is one but unfortunately it's a Conv't but is an auto car.  Supposably from CA with a new $5K motor rebuild. Looks like it's been sitting around a while and needs a good detailing.

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/6145917335.html

00x0x_9J8uajEVOzr_600x450.jpg00U0U_2VpEhVXQxBH_600x450.jpg00Y0Y_4QimOF4QhNb_600x450.jpg

A.S., Sorry for my delay in returning to you, got into  O.T. shipping.

Thanks for the find here.

Connecticut is due north, the 140 carbs and the convert are not number one on the list, but worth a call, to get more info. 

I appreciate the assistance, hoping the search concludes quickly.

Bob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to get back to my topic on the thread, still looking for a turn key, driver quality or above '65 to '69 Corvair Monza Coupe, prefer the 110 engine, must have P.G., only color not wanted is evening orchid.

 

I do have a line on a decent Monza Coupe, the owner is "considering the deal", but not truly in a hurry to sell....... so my search must continue.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:48 PM, auburnseeker said:

Here is one but unfortunately it's a Conv't but is an auto car.  Supposably from CA with a new $5K motor rebuild. Looks like it's been sitting around a while and needs a good detailing.

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/6145917335.html

00x0x_9J8uajEVOzr_600x450.jpg00U0U_2VpEhVXQxBH_600x450.jpg00Y0Y_4QimOF4QhNb_600x450.jpg

This red convert. story is an interesting one.

Silly me, when I try to sell a car, I make certain the windows are clean, I make certain the vehicle runs well, I check all the tire pressures, check all lights and electricals for proper operation, then make certain the fluid levels are full and to the full level. I maintain 3 ring notebooks of any and all maintenance and repairs, whether it be "customer pay" or "warranty work", which I pass on to the next caretaker.  But that is me.

This convert. owner says he has $5,000 in receipts for an engine rebuild, but the car won't run !

"Not to worry, the 4 carbs just need to be adjusted".

Is there a warranty on the engine work, I ask.  Only to the owner who paid the $5,000 bill, I'm told.

For $5,000 out of MY wallet, for a Corvair engine rebuild, I would damn well expect the engine to purrrrr like a kitten.

Wouldn't the seller be certain to have the car running ...... and have the carbs adjusted BEFORE THE CAR IS PUT UP FOR SALE ????

Or just maybe there is no $5,000 engine rebuild and the "no run" is a heck of a lot more involved than adjusting the carbs.

At any rate, each phone call to an ad is an adventure of its own.

I thank A.S. for the lead, I do appreciate the interest in making a nice Corvair appear in my driveway.

The search continues.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just throwing the possibilities your way.  I figured you can determine what will or won't work.  I did get the Auto trans part right though and figured you might not pass on a Conv't over a coupe if everything else was right about it.    I saw the non running part but figured if the guy was serious about selling,  he would get it running with an interested party on the line or have it fixed by someone who could so as to not lose the sale.  As usual the description never seems to answer all the questions a real car guy wants to know. 

I'll keep a look out.  I imagine a haul from my area to NC is alot cheaper than one from the West coast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 24, 2017 at 0:43 PM, countrytravler said:

They are farming their work to other carriers. They are brokers. Victoria, How much is transport and the broker fee when you had your cars moved? Do they break it down for you? What is the carriers name on the door when you have a car transported? I find carriers when I'm driving around town at car lots loading or unloading cars. Also, check truck stops and cruise the internet for independents. When I have a tough move, had one from my shop (Northern CA) to ND, the hardest move to do, I ran an ad on UShip and got it moved by a single trailer for 700.00. He was going there to pick a car up that he bought. I was getting prices from 1800.00 to 2k. Also on claims, some truck ins companies will not pay out a claim unless the car has ins. Never happened to me but it happened to others. My 1st new truck pictured when I was based in Coral Springs FL. 1996 Volvo.

18582339_174928376370115_1529975051473808479_n.jpg

18698179_176641342865485_6169014949190819771_n.jpg

2bf4d72c-2e25-4df6-99f3-571bed0d55b1.jpg

I am paying right about 2k for enclosed. It's about 2200 miles. They don't break down the fees. Reliable is 2700 and they go up from there. The rest of the cars I have hauled but this one is too big for my 16' trailer. It has the continental kit.

The driver I got dispatched has a newer Volvo 18 wheeler and a 2 story trailer with a lift gate. I'm hoping for the best. I did a bunch of research and I've been a nervous wreck about this, but the carrier has good equipment at least. Montway says they have "double" insurance because they and the carrier have it. I think a claim would be horrible no matter what. I have almost never had good interactions with insurance companies. I'm hoping for the best. 

Edit: Maybe it was Reliable that has double insurance. Not sure and hoping not to have to find out. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I'm just throwing the possibilities your way.  I figured you can determine what will or won't work.  I did get the Auto trans part right though and figured you might not pass on a Conv't over a coupe if everything else was right about it.    I saw the non running part but figured if the guy was serious about selling,  he would get it running with an interested party on the line or have it fixed by someone who could so as to not lose the sale.  As usual the description never seems to answer all the questions a real car guy wants to know. 

I'll keep a look out.  I imagine a haul from my area to NC is alot cheaper than one from the West coast.

A.S., I understand you are just throwing possibilities, and I appreciate each & every possibility you send my way.

My "rant", I guess, is telling the story of how OTHERS make attempts to sell their vehicles.

Again, thanks !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

I am paying right about 2k for enclosed. It's about 2200 miles. They don't break down the fees. Reliable is 2700 and they go up from there. The rest of the cars I have hauled but this one is too big for my 16' trailer. It has the continental kit.

The driver I got dispatched has a newer Volvo 18 wheeler and a 2 story trailer with a lift gate. I'm hoping for the best. I did a bunch of research and I've been a nervous wreck about this, but the carrier has good equipment at least. Montway says they have "double" insurance because they and the carrier have it. I think a claim would be horrible no matter what. I have almost never had good interactions with insurance companies. I'm hoping for the best. 

Edit: Maybe it was Reliable that has double insurance. Not sure and hoping not to have to find out. 

Reliable have their own rigs and they also lease their trailer to owner operators. I know the owner very well. He lives on 8 mile in Canton MI. No such thing as double ins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, countrytravler said:

Reliable have their own rigs and they also lease their trailer to owner operators. I know the owner very well. He lives on 8 mile in Canton MI. No such thing as double ins.

More accurately it's "back up insurance". Getting the actual worth of the car or cost to repair correctly is what I think would be an uphill battle though. 

 

Reliable is very well known, but for 35% again the price, it was too much for my situation. I communicated with several carriers and none of them could explain thier claim process with any clarity or back up to prove what they said. So I made decision and I will hope for the best. 

image.jpg

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

More accurately it's "back up insurance". Getting the actual worth of the car or cost to repair correctly is what I think would be an uphill battle though. 

 

Reliable is very well known, but for 35% again the price, it was too much for my situation. I communicated with several carriers and none of them could explain thier claim process with any clarity or back up to prove what they said. So I made decision and I will hope for the best. 

image.jpg

Here is how ins works. POVs has to have comp. Example. Your car catches on fire and damaged some cars, equipment, the ins company from the trucking company will come after you. I have witnessed this happening. I will disconnect the battery on older cars. Make sure that the carrier has enough cargo ins in case the whole load is wiped out in a horrific accident. Any related weather damage falls on you, act of nature mostly not covered. Had a car damaged from a sand storm in CO. My ins would not cover. The customer sued me and they lost. Backup ins is a waste of money 2 ins comp will not pay out a claim. It's a scam that a lot of people fall for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now