1988 Steering Wheel Removal Help

Guest Brad Gales

Guest Brad Gales

Any advice on how to remove the horn/button and steering wheel on an 88 reatta would be greatly appreciated.  I need to replace the key cylinder, but would prefer not to break any parts to gain access. I checked my factory service manual, but it only reflects the Riviera steering wheel.

Barney is correct. Just put your fingers under the horn button, disconnect the horn wire and set aside. Remove the nut, then the horseshoe clip. The steering wheel is removed by use of a steering wheel puller that you can rent from AutoZone or Advance Auto.

Then you should be able to do then what you need to do.

I have 2 replacement horn buttons for my '91.   To remove and replace them I just have to pull on them, disconnect the wire and then reverse the procedure?  I hope it's that easy.  I was thinking I had to remove the air bag pod and some other tricky things.  Thanks for any help in clearing this up for me.

4 minutes ago, Labrat said:

I have 2 replacement horn buttons for my '91.   To remove and replace them I just have to pull on them, disconnect the wire and then reverse the procedure?  I hope it's that easy.  I was thinking I had to remove the air bag pod and some other tricky things.  Thanks for any help in clearing this up for me.

If you have the entire button assembly (the only way horn buttons should be bought and sold), you must remove the airbag to remove the two T-20 torx screws that hold each button assembly in. '90 and '91 are different than '88 and '89

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)

Two different conversation going on here.......Brad ask about an '88.......'88-89 were non airbag steering wheels and there is a single horn button is the center of the wheel.

1990-91 cars have an air bag, the steering wheel is different and there are two horn buttons.

The first picture is the early car,  the second picture is the late air bag steering wheel,  sorry I don't have better pictures of just the wheel

IMG_5907.JPG

DSC01473.JPE