Help figuring out what i need to seal rear axle

erichill

Posted about painting the wood wheels the other day.  Still fitting this puzzle together. 1919 Chandler rear end. The axle ends are supported by the wheels (see photos). Question is where are the seal(s) to keep the oil within the differential.  Looking at the one photo, is this a seal behind the bearing? Is it a rope seal?  Should there be any other seals on the drum side of the wheel or is this the only seal?  Next question of course is where might I find this seal?

I know Chandler made their own motors, but I don't know if they made their own differentials.  Does this look like the differential off any other cars of that era? Hard to find much info on the  chandlers.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Eric

IMG_6009.JPG

IMG_6008.JPG

IMG_6023.JPG

IMG_6015.JPG

IMG_6012.JPG

IMG_6018.JPG

Eric I can only tell you that on my !931 Reo Royale I could not get a matching Imperial oil seal . I did find that the Metric oil seal would fit the rear axle . So I do not know if Reo had their own sizes made up or were using English sizes ? I purchased them at Seals Unlimited in Canada . I believe they are now part of a big US Company .

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

I would expect there to be an oil seal inside the wheel bearings, probably felt. There should be a shoulder it sits against in the axle housing. As Mark says, they are probably not available so measure the ID of the housing = OD of seal. The ID of the seal is the axle diameter where it seats. That surface must be smooth and round to seal properly. I replaced one in my 1930 Dodge with a NAK brand seal, metric as it turns out. A Speedy Sleeve or similar made the sealing surface smooth again. Ask the bearing and seal suppliers for your seals by size.

There should also be a seal on the outside of the wheel bearings. This one was probably leather. It looks like a seal showing on the inside of the break drum? It looks like a flanged mounting with seal inside? You might be able to fit a modern seal into the old seal housing.

So the philosophy is a seal to keep diff. oil out of the bearings and another seal to keep grease out of the brakes and off the axle taper.

Dumb question: what holds the axle in place, stopping it coming out?

"Dumb question: what holds the axle in place, stopping it coming out? " Spinnyhill, not a dumb question as I was wondering the same.  The end od the differential housing is threaded, so wheel fits over the housing and is bolted to the housing, then the axle is bolted to the wheel.  Best I can tell, and I think they call it a 3/4 floating axle?  You are right it is a felt seal behind the bearing.

Eric

The looks of your pictures   the 1916 overland I am doing has a similar rear  from what I can tell there is no seal . When you put on the rear wheel the large double nut locks the wheel on , then you put on the wheel hub  that keeps the oil from the center in the bearings  . Kings32

"Since I don't see any area where a seal has rubbed the portion of axle shaft that is visible in your photo maybe the seal or a slinger is inboard where the diff gears are. What oil or grease did you find in the differential? " No, there are no seals within the differential leading out towards the wheels. Completely open.

Eric